Author Topic: Tell me what "shooting brake" origins are regarding station wagons  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Strawboss

Ok, I hate it when car magazines use terms they think everyone knows and they think it makes them look all cultured and everything, but, what the hell is the UK origins of shooting brake/break regarding what virtually the rest of the planet calls "station wagons"? Well, virtually all the readers of the magazines I read that are all targeted to the U.S., so, I'm sure other countries call them something else. I know "stations"  are ranches in Australia and South America, so "ranch wagon" doesn't really sound right, but is a proper description of the use of the car. I know that the U.S. and the U.K. are two countries separated by a common language and the U.K. does do a few things differently, but where did this term come from?
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline sherob

• Arena
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Tell me what "shooting brake" origins are regarding station wagons
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 02:52:24 PM »
Volvo Estate: A Sexy Brown Shooting Brake—Need We Say More?

;D    ;D    ;D    ;D    ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 05:26:56 PM »
So, the original 55-57 Chevy Nomads were shooting brakes?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 05:42:11 PM »
Silliest thing I've ever heard of...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 05:51:51 PM »
Silliest thing I've ever heard of...
Yeah, what can you expect from those Brits?

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 06:10:19 PM »
So, while I'm at it, I mentioned it in the original post, and this may be a topic for another thread, I hate when writers insert foreign words or phrases into a story without giving the English translation. Clancy did it, WEB Griffin does it, A LOT, and a few others. Most times, I can figure out what they are talking about, but sometimes it infuriates me as I need to put the book down and look up the words, and then most times, it wasn't needed or didn't add at all to the story and was a silly way to maybe add some flavor or put you in the moment, it didn't for me as I read in English and think in English. Case in point, WEB's character Cletus Frade and the stories about Argentina. Lots and lots of Spanish terms and words and titles, most times explained, many not. Just me. I've tried reading Huckleberry Finn about 6 or 7 times when I usually throw it against the wall because I can't stand reading colloquial language writing.

Offline Locksmith

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 06:21:33 PM »
Well, if you want to go down that road, why don't they have sub titles on American television?  I have a hell of a time with the accents!

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 06:27:54 PM »
I can do accents, usually, like for documentaries, or short interviews, but not whole movies, besides, I hate sub titles too, won't watch a movie with them, can't read fast enough, and usually they are imbedded in the screen where you can't see them.

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 08:32:15 PM »
So, while I'm at it, I mentioned it in the original post, and this may be a topic for another thread, I hate when writers insert foreign words or phrases into a story without giving the English translation. Clancy did it, WEB Griffin does it, A LOT, and a few others. Most times, I can figure out what they are talking about, but sometimes it infuriates me as I need to put the book down and look up the words, and then most times, it wasn't needed or didn't add at all to the story and was a silly way to maybe add some flavor or put you in the moment, it didn't for me as I read in English and think in English. Case in point, WEB's character Cletus Frade and the stories about Argentina. Lots and lots of Spanish terms and words and titles, most times explained, many not. Just me. I've tried reading Huckleberry Finn about 6 or 7 times when I usually throw it against the wall because I can't stand reading colloquial language writing.

I bought the original Uncle Remus stories and read them to my kids as my gramps did to me. Always looking to broaden horizons. Best part of owning the Kindle is that I can press on any word and a dictionary pops up with a definition. Never read WEBG so I can't comment. I liked Huck Finn......but then I liked Fonix lol.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 11:21:23 PM »
Well, if you want to go down that road, why don't they have sub titles on American television?  I have a hell of a time with the accents!
I thought there are subtitles on American TV. eh? They don't make it across the border? eh?

I hate sub titles too, won't watch a movie with them, can't read fast enough.....

You need Spritz perhaps?

...... I hate sub titles too....... and usually they are imbedded in the screen where you can't see them.
You need to set the TV to Normal instead of zoom stretch to full screen, but wait, let me guess, you hate those bars on the sides of the screen too.  ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 04:36:28 AM »
Yeah, what can you expect from those Brits?

;D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 07:02:18 AM »
Ok, I hate it when car magazines use terms they think everyone knows and they think it makes them look all cultured and everything, but, what the hell is the UK origins of shooting brake/break regarding what virtually the rest of the planet calls "station wagons"? Well, virtually all the readers of the magazines I read that are all targeted to the U.S., so, I'm sure other countries call them something else. I know "stations"  are ranches in Australia and South America, so "ranch wagon" doesn't really sound right, but is a proper description of the use of the car. I know that the U.S. and the U.K. are two countries separated by a common language and the U.K. does do a few things differently, but where did this term come from?
New York classifies the 'wagon' body style on our registrations as "suburbans".  (As opposed to sedan, coupe, etc.)  My Trailblazer was a suburban, so is my Outback and Forester, as were my Taurus wagon, Caprice wagon, AMC Eagles, etc.  It's been some years since I've owned one, but I think minivans fell into the same category.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157