Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 672008 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #1280 on: January 27, 2014, 11:06:38 AM »
Yeah and it is all rolling east: 40+ outside at the moment, going to be 10 tonight and then three more days of cold (unusual cold).

Brian

:)  Sunday 55F/sunny 200 mile ride  :)

:(  Today 15F tonight 0ish  :(
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1281 on: January 28, 2014, 06:59:18 AM »
It's minus 14 at the moment with a wind chill near minus 35    :_shudder_Emoticon
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #1282 on: January 28, 2014, 07:20:21 AM »
It's minus 14 at the moment with a wind chill near minus 35    :_shudder_Emoticon

:o

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1283 on: January 28, 2014, 07:34:12 AM »

:o

Exactly J!

My poor dogs can hardly walk when they go outside. Well, two of the three anyways. Sookie has such thick fur, she even has fur growing out from between her toes and covering the bottoms of her feet. So she has no problems in the cold. She wants to play with the other two outside but they just want to come back in and that's it! I had to go out and rescue Bosco. She want deep into the back yard and her feet got so cold that she couldn't/wouldn't walk. 

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1284 on: January 28, 2014, 09:23:58 AM »
So how are you making out with your woodstove in these extreme temps / windchills? I am about at the limit of mine- it will run all night, no problem, but not at a rate that will maintain the house at 70+. After a 9 or 10 hour burn, the house is between 65 and 69 depending on just how cold and windy it was overnight. The photo you put up looks like a Dutchwest, and I would not think it would hold enough wood to maintain an entire house at a comfy temp. overnight? Or do you get up and stoke it during the night?

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Maille Man

• Arena
« Reply #1285 on: January 28, 2014, 10:02:13 AM »
Advice from a friend of mine.  He heats, exclusively, with a wood stove.

1) Temps near freezing, you need to put at least 10 gallons of water per day into the air.
2) Temps near 10F you need near 15 gallons per day.
3) Temps near or below zero, well, you get the idea.

Using his humidifier, as well as pots of water on the stove, he's been able to keep the humidity between 25%-30% and can keep his temps at or above the 70 mark...

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1286 on: January 28, 2014, 10:36:05 AM »
Yeah, when I built this current stove, I put a 'water pot' inside the front 'V' of the stove- it holds 2.4 gallons of water. The actual water chamber is stainless steel and sits down inside the stove's volume so that no part of it is above the top line of the stove, very important as the stove is a top- load type.

I was just wondering how Conrad was making out with a 3 cu. ft. firebox and such low temps. I can hold a fire overnight (9 hour burn) easily enough (actual wood left, not just warm coals) but cannot do that and have the house maintain 70F or greater if the outside temp. is around -0-.

Brian

Advice from a friend of mine.  He heats, exclusively, with a wood stove.

1) Temps near freezing, you need to put at least 10 gallons of water per day into the air.
2) Temps near 10F you need near 15 gallons per day.
3) Temps near or below zero, well, you get the idea.

Using his humidifier, as well as pots of water on the stove, he's been able to keep the humidity between 25%-30% and can keep his temps at or above the 70 mark...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1287 on: January 28, 2014, 04:19:04 PM »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1288 on: January 28, 2014, 06:02:28 PM »
So how are you making out with your woodstove in these extreme temps / windchills? I am about at the limit of mine- it will run all night, no problem, but not at a rate that will maintain the house at 70+. After a 9 or 10 hour burn, the house is between 65 and 69 depending on just how cold and windy it was overnight. The photo you put up looks like a Dutchwest, and I would not think it would hold enough wood to maintain an entire house at a comfy temp. overnight? Or do you get up and stoke it during the night?

Brian

Good eye Brian. That is a Consolidated Dutchwest stove, Federal Airtight is the model line.

I've been making out pretty well. During the day the front section of the house stays around 72 -75 with the bedrooms around 60 or so. An hour or so before bedtime I'll be sure to get the stove set-up so that right before bed I'll have a really good bed of coals going. Then at bedtime I'll pack that baby as full of 22" logs as I possibly can. In the morning I'll still have some good coals to get it up to temp again. I normally only need the stove to last 7 hours at night before I feed it. I keep the thermostat for the gas furnace turned down to 60, just in case the stove gets too cool. With the higher than normal winds I have to close up the air dampers a bit otherwise I won't have a good long burn overnight.

I have a cast iron kettle that holds around 2 gals of water that I keep going on top of the stove. It keeps the house around 40% humidity.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #1289 on: January 28, 2014, 06:45:44 PM »
Weather was just to friggin' nice to take my truck!  Picked up a sweet Michelin "Desert Race" tire for the katOOm  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #1290 on: January 28, 2014, 06:56:52 PM »
Man, my forced air struggles to maintain 66F these past few nights. ;D This is a good old fashioned winter like when we were kids. But funny thing, how come I have no desire at all to go skating outside like we used to for hours at a time and come home with frozen blue jeans?
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Son of Pappy

« Reply #1291 on: January 28, 2014, 07:06:27 PM »
Chilly out tonight.  Currently down to 45.  Rains moving in :)

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #1292 on: January 28, 2014, 07:18:43 PM »
2F now, maybe 28F this weekend. I was trying to talk about cold weather to my cousin in Alabama. I said you can tell when its below zero F when the nose hairs stick together when you breath through the nose and your teeth hurt when you breath through your mouth, and the snow is crunchy. No clue.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Son of Pappy

« Reply #1293 on: January 28, 2014, 07:27:57 PM »
Ft Dix NJ, Jan, 1982, Army BCT.  Wind chills down to -40.  Think that stopped us from learning how to march?  We never needed to shovel snow, we used brooms to get the stuff the wind missed.  Y'all can keep the East Coast (anything East of the Rockies), all of it.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #1294 on: January 28, 2014, 08:31:32 PM »
Weather was just to friggin' nice to take my truck!  Picked up a sweet Michelin "Desert Race" tire for the katOOm  ;D

come join us down here
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #1295 on: January 28, 2014, 08:51:09 PM »
That is the second best thing that bike has ever hauled  ;)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #1296 on: January 28, 2014, 09:09:50 PM »
Y'all can keep the East Coast (anything East of the Rockies), all of it.
:goodpost:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1297 on: January 29, 2014, 04:07:47 AM »
I hate  :censored: snow.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1298 on: January 29, 2014, 04:33:14 AM »
2F now, maybe 28F this weekend. I was trying to talk about cold weather to my cousin in Alabama. I said you can tell when its below zero F when the nose hairs stick together when you breath through the nose and your teeth hurt when you breath through your mouth, and the snow is crunchy. No clue.

Yep, you can always tell when it's zero or below because when you walk on the snow it has a squeak to it as it's compressed. It may seem strange that the snow squeaks but if you've never heard it for yourself you won't get it.   

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1299 on: January 29, 2014, 04:40:37 AM »
It seems really strange to read all the stories of folks down south with their highways turning into parking lots because of two inches of snow.

They say that people from the south don't know how to drive in snow?

It's not rocket science, just slow the :censored: down! Oh wait, maybe that is rocket science to some?    ;)