Author Topic: Cleaning The Aluminum on the C14  (Read 7617 times)

Offline thundermax

Re: Cleaning The Aluminum on the C14
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 07:45:18 PM »
Well I thought the wheels were aluminum and some of the parts that are silver around the pegs. Maybe they are just painted?
Riding 46 years. In order, 1958 Cushman 721 Highlander, 1960 Cushman Super Eagle, 1971 Honda SL 100, 1974 Yamaha RD 350, 1975 Honda 750 Four, 1971 Honda SL 175, 1998 Yamaha Vmax, 2005 Yamaha Vmax, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2012 Kawasaki Concours Arabian Red.

Offline dinodanny

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 09:18:51 PM »
There's no bare aluminum on the C-14 that I know of. Everything that looks like bare aluminum is just silver paint. In fact some of the pieces like the grab handle/luggage rack mount are plastic. Oh, and you can't beat S-100 for cleaning.
Wind in my hair
Shifting and drifting
Mechanical music
Adrenaline surge...

Offline captainmarko

• COG# 10462
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 01:59:45 AM »
Do NOT use Simple Green on aluminum.

Don't ask me how I know this.

Sleep in the trees and keep your knees in the breeze.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2013, 04:42:06 AM »
Page 2 is almost over and no one said the "Pledge" yet.
Joel from Maine.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 06:59:57 AM »
Page 2 is almost over and no one said the "Pledge" yet.

:)

PLEDGE!!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 08:52:11 AM »
There it is!!!
Joel from Maine.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2013, 09:36:19 AM »
It must be Lemon Pledge.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 10:31:35 AM »
Well I thought the wheels were aluminum and some of the parts that are silver around the pegs. Maybe they are just painted?

I'm pretty sure the wheels are aluminum.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2013, 10:58:36 AM »
I'm pretty sure the wheels are aluminum.

They are.  They are painted aluminum.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 11:03:27 AM »
They are.  They are painted aluminum.

Really? The black wheels on the 2013 are certainly painted but the wheels on my 2010 do not look painted.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2013, 11:21:24 AM »
Really? The black wheels on the 2013 are certainly painted but the wheels on my 2010 do not look painted.

They should be.  I can't believe they are raw aluminum... that would be exceedingly rare.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2013, 11:26:20 AM »
They should be.  I can't believe they are raw aluminum... that would be exceedingly rare.

The wheels on my VTX were definitely raw aluminum because my buddy had the same bike and had his wheels polished. I've been thinking about having my wheels polished because they stay much cleaner. Stuff just slides off. But not if they are painted. Would have to strip the paint first.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
The wheels on my 08 are aluminum, but they have a silver powder coating on them, as does most of the other aluminum parts (grab rails,swingarm, hub, and foot peg BRACKETS), the folding pegs themselves are raw aluminum.... I think the forks are a clear anodized, with clear paint over.
I just did a quick walk around testing various parts with a "scratch test" ::)
While I recall reading "do not use on aluminum" on a bottle of Simple Green a couple years ago, it does not appear on the new bottle I have...
but it does state: "DO NOT USE ON plastic instument panels, opals, or Pearls....." it has a high Phosphous content...

I had an instance when using it on raw aluminum cast surfaces where it began to turn "black-ish", and after rinsing had to scrub with a scotchbrite pad to remove the discoloration.

as they say on the bottle...."do a test on materials in question"
409 and Fantastic still bear cautionary statements...
anyways, any stone chips or scratches in the painted surfaces will allow the substrate to come under attack, and will progress the reaction at that site over time, corrosion will occurr... :'(

just sayin....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..