Author Topic: Insane Dragon run!  (Read 9020 times)

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
Re: Insane Dragon run!
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 06:32:13 AM »
I think they were trying to push-start him.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 07:58:56 AM »
Lots of fun, and some funny.  But I'm going to have to be one of those party-poopers who pushes his old-man sensibilities onto everyone around him. 

A couple of years ago, I was riding the dragon on a Saturday. (Won't do that again).  I live pretty close, and so I can ride it pretty much any time I want to.  About 4-5 miles in, I came upon an accident scene.  Some squid, who thought he was as skilled as the rider in that original video, had crossed the centerline, laid his sport bike down, and slid into the path of a gentleman on a BMW ST bike.  (At that time I rode a Valkyrie Interstate, so I was not familiar with the BMW product line, nor did I understand that his fellow was my sworn enemy.) 
While the punk was walking around, crying about how banged up his bike was, the BMW rider was laying on the street, moaning in severe pain.  I was first on scene, and I flagged down several others to help.  We set up "flag men" to warn the traffic, and sent one rider down to find a cell phone signal.  I was trying to keep the rider calm and as comfortable as possible without moving him or removing his helmet.  It was very hot, and we managed to shade him, and give him water to sip on.  I'm pretty sure he had at least one broken leg, one broken arm, a broken collar bone, and he said his back hurt.  I made it my job to keep all the well meaning fools from trying to move him until the ambulance could arrive.  One woman tried to push me out of the way, she wanted to pick him up and move him to a more comfortable spot further from the road.  I run about 280, so I did not push easily.  She announced that she was a Nurse, so I needed to accept her judgement.  But since she was trying to move an injured man, without making any attempt to assess the extent of his injuries, I stopped her.  (in fact, I told her it was nice of the Veterinarian she worked for to give her the weekend off.  She could have been stuck feeding the boarded animals.)  After nearly 3 hours, an ambulance arrived, and I filled them in on what I knew, then moved into traffic control.  This permanantly impacted my ability to enjoy the Dragon.  It also limits my ability to appreciate the achievements of people like that rider who started this whole thread.   One mistake, and someone could have been hurt badly, or even killed.  That video would not have been nearly as fun to watch.

I appreciate the photographers on the Dragon.  Heck, my avitar is from a US129 Photos picture.  But I have to agree with another member, videos like this make every moron with $2000 to buy a used 600 think he's that rider and should be able to do the same thing.  This type of riding belongs on the race track, not a public roadway.  (pulling on my nomex suit, give me just a sec...)
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 06:04:32 PM »
Your two examples clarify what I'm saying, those two "sports" are practiced on a closed circuit.

I would be a hypocrite if I said I was perfect and always acted appropriately.

However what I have done is a far cry from doing Moto GP  on a public road.

why would you think Where it takes place has any meaning to someone who wants to try it?  just picking your brain!  does not matter if its a sport or not or where someone saw it.

should runners go to the track instead of running in traffic? pedal bikes?
should there be a track day for them instead of risking their life and yours when they run out in front of you? many other examples are out there.

while I understand your view of safety as all of us do. we can hardly blame the actions of one crazy person(on or off track) for our own bad decisions in life.
should this dragon run be on a track. yes!  is this dragon run any different in the eyes of a young speed freak then seeing a moto gp race?  I doubt it, was not for me when I was young. grew up with moto gp as most did.
 I'm sure if tracks were everywhere and cheaper we would see less of it on the street. but thats just not the case. 

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 06:42:33 PM »
Lots of fun, and some funny.  But I'm going to have to be one of those party-poopers who pushes his old-man sensibilities onto everyone around him. ....

But I have to agree with another member, videos like this make every moron with $2000 to buy a used 600 think he's that rider and should be able to do the same thing.  This type of riding belongs on the race track, not a public roadway.  (pulling on my nomex suit, give me just a sec...)
Wow you dissed me and backed me up in one post!  :chugbeer:

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 07:46:06 PM »
WAY too much time hanging across and wheels across the double yellow. Great skills, but absolutely no sense. Dude, take it to the track before you hurt someone.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
I think they were trying to push-start him.
I wonder if any of the pirates knew to put it in 3rd gear? Didn't look like it.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 04:16:19 PM »
WAY too much time hanging across and wheels across the double yellow. Great skills, but absolutely no sense. Dude, take it to the track before you hurt someone.

On the track he would have been in the sand/gravel, might have hurt himself. Here he still has the other half of the road!

Offline danl

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 06:26:29 AM »
Maybe he's a good candidate for a Spyder  :pukeface:

No way, that's not Milwaukee Iron, it's Rice!

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2011, 09:11:41 AM »
Wow you dissed me and backed me up in one post!  :chugbeer:
DannyL, I really don't know much about you, so I'm surpised that I managed to diss you.  Please tell me a little about yourself, and I'll try to diss you much more thoroughly next time!   ;D
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2011, 09:40:39 AM »
DannyL, I really don't know much about you, so I'm surpised that I managed to diss you.  Please tell me a little about yourself, and I'll try to diss you much more thoroughly next time!   ;D
I'll prepare a lengthy bio as soon as I feel like typing 53 years of boring history!   :rotflmao:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 07:24:23 AM »
I love blistering Deal's Gap.  On the weekdays anyway, when there is a shortage of cops and squids.

Example of running it a bit too hard for the bike right here..... so be careful

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2011, 10:28:16 AM »
That was very nice of that rider to wave at you... greeting you that way... I usually just get a one hand wave... wow!  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Graffixnfun

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 11:23:32 AM »
People have been trying to go fast since the beginning of time.  It has nothing to do with video, youtube, news, internet etc.  Some of us are just adrenline junkies and that will never change.  Most likely anyone on this forum that put a leg over a bike for the first time saw the same appeal.  The picture of Roland Free in his swimsuit setting a motorcycle speed record should be banned from publication!  This is human nature, that is why we can travel faster than the speed of sound, why mankind made it to the moon.  A very well produced video isnt going to promote or discourage people from doing what people are going to do.  I have seen 1000 anti smoking videos and guess what I plan to do after this post.  If people are upset with how other people ride, please trade in your "Sport" tourer for a Prius and please move your slow arse to Florida! 
2009 concours
2006 ninja 650R
2003 victory vegas

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 12:55:07 PM »
now thats Milwaukee Iron flying right there!!

I love blistering Deal's Gap.  On the weekdays anyway, when there is a shortage of cops and squids.

Example of running it a bit too hard for the bike right here..... so be careful

Offline Spanky

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 08:35:38 PM »
My avatar is from the dragon. Rode it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. We did it up and back before 8am to avoid the crowds. Very fun road if you don't go over your ability. I was with JamminJerry so I told him to just wait for me at the gas station; I would get there eventually  :). I would recommend going early if you have to ride it on the weekend. Beautiful area to ride. The scenery and the roads are hard to beat.

quiet and invisible

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2011, 01:02:02 AM »
Here's my best Dragon video. I know I can't ride it like the first guy but I'm a Michigan flat lander so I think I did pretty good. If you live there you could probably ride this road in your sleep. I love it down there but I also know how dangerous it can be.
Tail of the Dragon GTR1400
The speedometer I cut in is not accurate to the speeds I was riding, I did that just for fun.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2011, 04:50:22 PM »
Here's my best Dragon video. I know I can't ride it like the first guy but I'm a Michigan flat lander so I think I did pretty good. If you live there you could probably ride this road in your sleep. I love it down there but I also know how dangerous it can be.
Tail of the Dragon GTR1400
The speedometer I cut in is not accurate to the speeds I was riding, I did that just for fun.

Nice lines. Cool tunes. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

quiet and invisible

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2011, 04:07:15 AM »
Thanks Jimmymac. This was my second time down there on my Concours, the first time the bike was new and I was a bit more timid. I had a blast. No way this old man will ever ride like that original video.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2011, 08:31:14 AM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine