Author Topic: replacing fork seals  (Read 1759 times)

Offline mellow yellow

replacing fork seals
« on: August 11, 2019, 06:53:11 PM »
Hello all, trying to replace my fork seals. I'm having a impossible time trying to get my fork seals out. I've removed the retaining ring and still can't get the seals out. I even placed it in the vise and it won't come out. Does the allen bolt on the bottom have anything to do with my issue? I'm able to slide the top forks without any problem. Thanks

Offline connie_rider

Re: replacing fork seals
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 07:02:39 PM »
Yes, the bolt must be removed.
Best way is you use a "metric" allen socket and an impact wrench.
Do NOT use a SAE sized allen socket.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 01:01:03 AM »
Hello all, trying to replace my fork seals. I'm having a impossible time trying to get my fork seals out. I've removed the retaining ring and still can't get the seals out. I even placed it in the vise and it won't come out. Does the allen bolt on the bottom have anything to do with my issue? I'm able to slide the top forks without any problem. Thanks

Pixie Dust and Eye of Newt helps.

Yes, the allen bolt at the bottom has to be removed. Impact wrench often works peachy, but not always. You have to hold the damper rod stationary with a 'tool'.

This tool can be a stout broom stick. Rounded end, approximately 1" in diameter. Forcefully jam it onto the top of the damping rod, use the impact wrench, pray.

An ideal tool can be made with a 2' length of 1/2" iron pipe and a 15/16" hex nut. Tack weld the nut to the pipe, insert this tool down the fork to engage the damper rod. This method doesn't require an impact wrench, but using one will make the job easier.

Once the lower cap screw/bolt is removed, hold the outer fork in one hand and briskly extend the fork tube with your other hand. Like using a slide hammer.

Once disassembled you can visually check the condition of the fork bushings. These are a steel band with a bronze plating. The bronze should still be showing and relatively unscored. If they look like crap, replacements from Mamma Kaw are reasonably cheap.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 05:24:26 AM »
Yupp, {forgot to mention that} damper rod must be held to prevent it from turning.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 11:27:01 AM »
thanks for the responses. took the allen bolt out and after a few yanks the seals popped out. now to put her back so that I can get back on the road!

Offline sport rider

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 07:52:47 AM »
FWIW for others, I got a piece of aluminum 4-sided square tube at Lowes which fits into the "nut" at the bottom of the fork in order to remove the bolt.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 09:53:02 AM »
Sport Rider:  For the archives, what size square tube did you use?

Another option is to make a damper rod tool out of about 2 feet of threaded 5/8 inch rod, jamming two nuts together at each end.  The nuts are 15/16" / 24mm socket wrench size and fit the damping rod perfectly.  This extension enables you to use a wrench to hold the damping rod while loosening its hex nut coming in through the bottom of the outer fork tube.

You can get the hardware to make this tool for just a few bucks at your hardware store.  It'll look something like this when you're done:

This allowed me to lay the fork tube down on my work bench and lock the other end of the rod in my vice.  Be sure to protect the sliders with wood blocks and don't clamp down too hard and warp a tube out of round.  You just need to hold it in place while applying opposing forces to the damping rod and its bolt on the bottom of the fork leg. 

There's an even cheaper homemade self crafted tool method at this link:

Helpful Fork Seal Link
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline sport rider

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 08:57:23 AM »
just checked.  it was 3/4 inch.

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 04:00:42 PM »
I've always been able to remove the allen bolt with an air impact driver w/o worrying about holding the rod. 
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10