Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 853381 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #3380 on: October 22, 2019, 06:49:20 AM »
It was time to change out the coolant in my C-14 and also to FINALLY replace the leaking exhaust cam cover o-ring.

I pulled off all the plastic yesterday and changed out the coolant.

The front of the motor was such a mess from the leak that I decided to use some spray foam engine degreaser to clean it up before I do the o-ring replacement. I'll be doing the replacement today.

C, is your valve cover gasket good?

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure about the valve cover gasket. The front of the motor was such a mess that at first I thought for sure that both the valve cover gasket AND the cam sensor must be leaking. After cleaning the mess up I'm still not sure. Where exactly are the leaks from the gasket coming from? After I got the radiator back in place I ran the bike till the fans came on and checked the area, no oil in sight. I really hope that the gasket isn't leaking too cuz I REALLY don't want to have to go through all that again. I'm sure that replacing that gasket is much more fun than just doing the o-ring.   :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3381 on: October 22, 2019, 06:53:24 AM »
before I get a bunch of p/m's, just want to say I no longer sell the sensor O-rings;
Passed the whole thing onto Murph to handle and sell, they are still priced well below the OEM non functioning ones, so contact him if you need them.. I think I handed out about 100 at various rides and rallies, in trade for beers..

ride safe y'all and don't "pressure wash" your engine, just spritz it with some "orange cleaner spray" and wipe it down before replacing..

ride safe.

I did get my O-rings from you Rich, thanks again. I don't know how long ago that was but I finally got the job done.

I was a little worried about getting the new o-ring in place but after greasing it up with some bearing grease and applying a little pressure, it popped right in place.

I didn't pressure wash my engine. Believe it or not, I do know better than that.

I sprayed some 'steam cleaning' stuff in a can on the warm engine, let it soak in for 20 mins or so, scrubbed it a bit and washed the whole mess off with a light steam of water. 

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #3382 on: October 22, 2019, 08:37:20 AM »
Goo-Gone will take it off.

Thanks Mr. Poseidon- I'll give it hell this weekend.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3383 on: October 24, 2019, 05:25:21 PM »
Hold on to your hats.... hell just froze over.....

I have a date- it is this Saturday.  My mechanic friend is coming over to help (well, more than help) with some real/serious maintenance:

• Replace air filter (never done, me)
    • Throttle body sync (never done)
    • Valve check/adjust (never done)
    • Reset chain tensioner? (never done)
    • Replace cam position sensor O ring (never done)
    • Inspect/replace spark plugs (never done)
    • Check/tighten all header bolts (never done, me)
    • Replace coolant (never done, me?)
    • Inspect/clean fuel filter (maybe, probably not due to time. never done)
    • Repair panel near grip heater control (all me)
    • Clean grime/oil off front of engine (me)
    • Change engine oil and filter (1yr, 8K mi now, me)
    • Change final drive oil (1yr, 8K mi now, me)

I am at about 44,000 miles, and 8.5 years.  Have murph's complete kit, air filter, all the liquids.  Not sure what will happen with shims (since there are none local, he wants to perhaps grind them, he has a near-machine shop in his garage) but the bike might have to sit for several days waiting on them.

Only current symptoms- rough/inconsistent idle, some power reduction and hesitation.  Hopefully this overdue stuff will help...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #3384 on: October 24, 2019, 06:02:57 PM »

Hopefully this overdue stuff will help...

Hopefully?
I would say get a tighter grip on the grips when you twist that right hand.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3385 on: October 24, 2019, 06:36:34 PM »
grind them?  aren't they surface hardened?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3386 on: October 24, 2019, 07:52:22 PM »
grind them?  aren't they surface hardened?

That was my thought and I asked him when he suggested it.  He said he could tell when grinding.  I don't know how.  Doesn't sound safe to me.  I think I would rather just order them.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3387 on: October 25, 2019, 12:49:25 PM »
All this done in a day? 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #3388 on: October 25, 2019, 02:55:16 PM »

:rotflmao:

Good luck.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3389 on: October 25, 2019, 03:27:11 PM »
All this done in a day?

I wish, but no.  The bike will be down for several days, most likely.  Longer if there are problems.

Offline banditrider

• Two wheels are all you need!
    • Off for a ride
« Reply #3390 on: October 25, 2019, 10:33:20 PM »
Took her for a WOF (safety check).  Dude there thought 158,000kms was pretty amazing - took photos and everything...I told it was only just run in...
'08 Concours 14: Rad guard, Stebel, Oxford Hot grips, Projekt D Screen, Hugger, GPS mount, helmet locks & fender extender, Zumo 550, Stebel, Phil's rack & Givi V46, Sheepskin seat cover, Phillips Extreme vision +100 bulbs.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3391 on: October 28, 2019, 08:01:00 AM »

I have a date- it is this Saturday.  My mechanic friend is coming over to help (well, more than help) with some real/serious maintenance:

• Replace air filter (never done, me)
    • Throttle body sync (never done)
    • Valve check/adjust (never done)
    • Reset chain tensioner? (never done)
    • Replace cam position sensor O ring (never done)
    • Inspect/replace spark plugs (never done)
    • Check/tighten all header bolts (never done, me)
    • Replace coolant (never done, me?)
    • Inspect/clean fuel filter (maybe, probably not due to time. never done)
    • Repair panel near grip heater control (all me)
    • Clean grime/oil off front of engine (me)
    • Change engine oil and filter (1yr, 8K mi now, me)
    • Change final drive oil (1yr, 8K mi now, me)

I wish, but no.  The bike will be down for several days, most likely.  Longer if there are problems.

Well, I'm not putting my parka on just yet... 

...Standing by for the completion and the test ride report.   :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #3392 on: November 14, 2019, 06:53:40 PM »
put her to bed for a while
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3393 on: November 14, 2019, 07:09:23 PM »
Rode it for real, FINALLY!

And now the 4 days of rain begin, to ruin the weekend.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3394 on: November 27, 2019, 05:58:44 AM »
Filled 'er up with Sta-bil treated premium, ran till the fans came on, then changed the engine and rear end oils. Pulled the battery and in it's place put a poison mouse bait. Then tucked 'er in for a long nap next to my similarly prepped Miata.

Offline texasdw

« Reply #3395 on: November 27, 2019, 02:34:13 PM »
Put my AST helmet locks on the back.  I'm a little surprised that the two locks weren't keyed the same.  But anyway, regardless, they are nice locks.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3396 on: January 12, 2020, 02:24:47 PM »
44,257mi, noticed the left fork seal leaking again, with a rather large spot (5" dia on plastic floor).  Probing with finger came back with lots of black goop.  Right one leaking only slightly.  Followed same procedure as 01-20-2018 (clean tubes, move and clean dust seal, clean main seals with motion pro tool, clean again, test) and it seemed to work.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #3397 on: January 12, 2020, 05:42:15 PM »
44,257mi, noticed the left fork seal leaking again, with a rather large spot (5" dia on plastic floor).  Probing with finger came back with lots of black goop.  Right one leaking only slightly.  Followed same procedure as 01-20-2018 (clean tubes, move and clean dust seal, clean main seals with motion pro tool, clean again, test) and it seemed to work.
I have done that a few times. Still leaking though and need to get it into the shop for a replacement. Have not had to do too much on this bike, but it's annoying anyway.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3398 on: January 13, 2020, 02:59:45 AM »
Haven't ridden them since mid-Nov due to a trapped nerve in my neck.  :'(
Started and ran both bikes (C10 and C14) until the cooling fans kicked in.

After shutting down the C10 I went to start him again, and got buzzing from the starter solenoid.
After some investigation, tightening the battery terminals resolved the problem  8)

Looking forward to riding again, but first need to get this arm working normally.
Seeing the Musculoskeletal Physio tomorrow.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #3399 on: January 26, 2020, 10:28:43 PM »
Removed my ‘okay’ performing Symtec grips and replaced them with Oxford heated grips (touring).  Wish I had bought the Oxford’s first.  Easy install, super hot, with a smart controller that turns itself off when it no longer senses vibration from the engine.  Next on the to do list, Rostra Cruise control.  Expect to lean heavy on B.D.F.’s install instructions for this one...
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.