Author Topic: I FLIPPIN' HATE MICE.....  (Read 8879 times)

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
Re: I FLIPPIN' HATE MICE.....
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 07:08:39 AM »
I hope it's not winter, I'm riding out that way this weekend.  Dayton, Pokey, Kent State and then back through PA to see the 9 11 memorial off route 30.

Kent and 9/11 site are impressive. Hope you are not going to miss the rollicking SEO roads like 56 through the Hocking Hills on the way to Dayton. I am heading the oposite way , Muncie TO Athens Ohio and back to Muncie.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 07:16:53 AM »
I keep a couple cats in the shop.  They have a fun time keeping the rodents at bay.  They also help work on the bikes.  LOL!
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 09:36:23 AM »
Go to the local SPCA and adopt the cat that has the most scars and missing fur!  Set him up in your shop and put a video camera up.

I just today got my C14 on the road, spent all last night "de-mousing" it, and getting it prepped.

I pulled a massive couple of nests out, and had to repair about 25 chewed wires in various harness' all over the place, pulled all the plastic off....man what a p.i.t.a. ??? :'(

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 10:59:21 PM »
Just read a natural method that keeps mice far away. Cotton balls with oil of peppermint on them.  Gonna go get some and put them in the Corvair and the Connie this winter. Gotta be better than mothballs for long term smell. Multiple citations on Google...or Bing or whatever search engine you choose to use.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 04:56:51 AM »
Sorry to hear about this too Rich. Those little guys do cause damage all out of proportion to their size. And by the way, they are NOT related to Kirby.... he is actually a little bit insulted Chet.

The bucket / peanut butter / artificial log rolling device definately works. Instead of water, if you use antifreeze the mice will not rot and decompose into some kind of nasty biological hazard although they DO swell up to an amazing size and, of course, turn green (seriously). Personally I can't stand the thought of the little fellows swimming in the bucket until the tire and drown so I just make sure to keep freshly baited traps around the garage- they end up just as dead but it is faster for the mice.
Brian

+1 on that! I put a ring of traps around my bike, never had an issue. But I did kill lots of the lil devils.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2020, 01:29:00 PM »

It's that time of year, the colder temperatures and the first snow sent them looking for warmer homes.  The bike did not get used for a couple weeks.   I found evidence in the garage.   Traps are set.  Got a few so far.
Today is a nice day, so I go for a ride.  As soon as I got on the highway, 60 mph, all kinds of crap starts flying up from in front of the gas tank/forks.  Yep, the little rodents had started to build a nest in there. 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2020, 06:24:04 AM »
It's that time of year, the colder temperatures and the first snow sent them looking for warmer homes.  The bike did not get used for a couple weeks.   I found evidence in the garage.   Traps are set.  Got a few so far.
Today is a nice day, so I go for a ride.  As soon as I got on the highway, 60 mph, all kinds of crap starts flying up from in front of the gas tank/forks.  Yep, the little rodents had started to build a nest in there.

I set traps and poison bait in the garage too. I also pull the battery from the bike and in it's place I put in one of those poison bait traps, fits perfectly. A nice lil snack for the mice when they try to settle in to a nice spot.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2021, 02:15:35 PM »
Got six so far.  Five in snap traps baited with peanut butter, and one with my foot.  I caught it climbing up the outside foundation wall and was trying to get under the siding.  Knocked it down with a leg swipe and stomped on it. 

There are a few stories on the other forum where it has cost guys thou$ands of $$ (or the insurance companies).