Author Topic: how to properly turn right from stop  (Read 2127 times)

Offline zhangjx0545

how to properly turn right from stop
« on: October 26, 2020, 09:41:20 PM »
Feel embarrassed asking this question about fundamental riding technique
but my rusty riding and such a HEAVY bike, I feel hard to turn right from a stop sign. I saw a few videos online, saying turn handle bar all the way to the right when stopped and then release the clutch, haven't tried yet

How is everyone make tight turns from stop?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: how to properly turn right from stop
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 11:25:33 PM »
Hmm, I don't think much about it.  But I don't ever start off with the wheel turned.  Almost always mostly straight, then power, then turn.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Freddy

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 11:34:20 PM »
What  Max said.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 12:57:27 AM »
What I do and what I should do are two different things.

I should turn the bars to the right and then add power and quickly lean the bike to the right, but with such a heavy bike it's very difficult
to do without practice. Without practice and consistent technique sooner or later I know I'll end up stabbing a foot down and
it won't be enough because I'm short and weak. Flashed ECU or no, my bike can be jerky at slow speed throttle changes so that adds to the problem.
If you just turn the bars to the right and apply power from a stop without leaning the bike to the right it will lean itself to the left and most likely take you
across the center line before you can get it sorted out. If you use your bike to commute there is a better chance that you'll get good at it. If like me however,
where the bike just sits between trips, then there isn't much chance of getting proficient at it nor maintaining any proficiency that one might develop.
So I do what max' and Freddy said but it makes for a wider turn.  One little thing you can do is not stop right at the point of the turn but rather stop
a car length back from the intersection so you'll be rolling and feet up before you need to initiate the turn. Hard to do though when you are trying to
turn right on a red traffic light because of limited vision down the cross road.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 07:08:56 AM »
I do ride every day and it is a non-issue for me. One of the main roads I use leaving home ends with a uphill and a stop sign so I have to approach straight. I take off with just enough power and  a bit off slipping the clutch to get me over the hump, turn in then feather the clutch to avoid running wide. At this point the bike wants to fall over and I just "pick it up" with the throttle and I am on my way.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 08:01:26 AM »
Perhaps a basic course in MC riding is in order? You can brush up on your technique and get some pointers from someone more experienced.

https://www.msf-usa.org/
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline zhangjx0545

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 08:16:39 AM »
Thanks for the advice on MSF course. I just finished a refresher course but using provided bikes which are small and light. Hesitate to take my concours to the course :- :P afraid to drop it in the tight turn setup

Pretty different feeling when transition from light to heavy bikes

Offline PH14

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 09:22:17 AM »
Thanks for the advice on MSF course. I just finished a refresher course but using provided bikes which are small and light. Hesitate to take my concours to the course :- :P afraid to drop it in the tight turn setup

In daily life, on the street, right turns are not so tight that you have to start with the bars turned. Start with the bars straight, look where you want to go, and don't overthink. It will become natural once you stop thinking.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 09:50:08 AM »
I just finished a refresher course but using provided bikes which are small and light. Hesitate to take my concours to the course :- :P afraid to drop it in the tight turn setup

I agree, my DR650 is considered kind of a pig in the dirt bike arena but it is so much easier to navigate at slow speed because my weight shifting standing on the pegs affects it
so much more than anything I can do with my weight on the C14. I'd love to be able to do police bike maneuvers with lock to lock slow speed turns, but that takes some parking lot practice.
Even with a 10 year old 100,000 mile bike with top block tip over protection I don't want to risk the ensuing damage that would occur to achieve those skills.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 12:06:53 PM »
In daily life, on the street, right turns are not so tight that you have to start with the bars turned. Start with the bars straight, look where you want to go, and don't overthink. It will become natural once you stop thinking.

Correct.  Thinking is very overrated.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 12:31:52 PM »

Perhaps, but certainly under utilized as well.

Offline PH14

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 03:49:47 PM »

:rotflmao:  That was supposed to be, overthinking.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 07:54:57 PM »
There you go....thinking again.  Never works out.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 07:15:07 AM »
Perhaps a basic course in MC riding is in order? You can brush up on your technique and get some pointers from someone more experienced.

https://www.msf-usa.org/

WAY back when I first got my C-14 I took the three MSF courses as a refresher for myself. Time well spent.

As you said, they use small lightweight bikes for the first two courses. Those Honda Rebels were fun to ride. The instructor nick named me Sparky because I was always dragging the tip over bars while making turns.   :)

The 3rd course was the most fun for sure. Riding my C-14 in this setting was a blast. It really improved my low speed handling of the bike. I was a bit concerned that I might drop the bike during the course and I even took the bags off before class, just in case. But I do have drop bars on the bike so at least any damage would have been minimized. The good news is that I didn't drop it, or even come close. The best way to avoid dropping your bike is to install crash bars.   ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline PH14

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 10:15:56 AM »
There you go....thinking again.  Never works out.

:rotflmao:

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2020, 01:34:38 PM »
One little thing you can do is not stop right at the point of the turn but rather stop a car length back from the intersection so you'll be rolling and feet up before you need to initiate the turn.
Hard to do though when you are trying to turn right on a red traffic light because of limited vision down the cross road.

You can also stop on the Left side of your lane {away from the curb} as it allows you to do the turn in a larger arc.
Being farther from the curb also gives you a better view to your right.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline CDII

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2020, 07:47:58 PM »
Sometimes I'll line up to the light or stop sign at an angle. Helps the turn in but more importantly helps me see behind with my '09's low mirrors. I've been reawakened to that danger after getting rear ended in my car from someone three cars back. $13,500 in damage.
Glad I wasn't on the Concours that day.

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2020, 05:52:53 PM »
I have always preferred to take off with the bars straight forward, and turn once moving. 
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2021, 03:39:51 AM »
Just a tiny bit of countersteering on a straight takeoff helps me with the heaviness of the bike. Seems to work OK.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Wes Carper

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2021, 06:18:53 PM »
Maybe stop a bit further back so you can get moving BEFORE turning.  She's much more nimble on her feet when already moving forward.