Author Topic: Mounting Denali lights  (Read 13920 times)

Offline Dan Forker

Mounting Denali lights
« on: May 30, 2013, 07:09:39 AM »

I have Denali lights mounted on my 2012 C14 on the reflector mounts and would like to get them up higher. I just completed putting Canyon Cages on the bike and thought that I could move the lights up to them but now that they are in place I can't see any way to put the lights up on the CC's w/o putting them on the outside of them which I think makes them protrude away from the bike too far. I know that there are bar clamps available to mount them, just don't know where to put them. Have any of you mounted lights on the CC's and if so how and where? Thanks for your help.

Fork

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
Re: Mounting Denali lights
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 07:15:39 AM »
I believe there are mirror mounts that allow you to mount them below the mirrors....trying to find them as I have seen them before.
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 07:20:06 AM »
Found them...

Concours 14 & GTR 1400 Driving Light Mounts
The original C-14 driving light mounts. Developed over 5 years ago, they have proven popular with C-14/ZG-1400 riders worldwide. By placing the lights under the mirrors, your lights will be in the perfect location for maximum long range lighting or excellent conspicuity with either halogen or LED lights. These mounts are machined from 6061-T6 billet aluminum and are satin, black anodized. They do not overlap the mirror base. All mounting hardware is stainless steel.
Part # C-02121 - Price: $85.00

http://bucksporttouring.com/lights.html
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline chap

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 02:21:52 PM »
I used 'P' clamps on my Canyon Cages. It seems to work OK. I can take some pics after work if you like and post them.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 05:10:49 PM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 06:12:28 PM »

Chap:

I'd be really interested in seeing your pic's. Bucks under mirror mounts look ok but I don't know how they get the wiring out of the fairing to the lights. The Canyon Cages would be a piece of cake if there's a suitable way to mount the lights. Where did you get the P mounts?  My bike is black and so are the CC's so I need black clamps. Thanks.

Fork

Offline chap

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 07:44:02 PM »
Dan Here are some photos. I ordered Black Clamps, but when they came in they were Chrome, It wasn't worth arguing so I took them, I will change them to Black at some point. I was worried about them being too much outboard of the cages, but I think it looks pretty good. I got them from the Kawi dealership, but any bike accessory shop would have them.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline udoggie

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 07:47:03 PM »
I bought;

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/techmount-light-mount-kit-pair-for-7-8-1-or-28mm-crashbars-and-handlebars-black-or-silver

to mount mine on my Canyon Cage bars.  They should be here tomorrow!

-Jeff
Aloha, OR.

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 08:36:45 PM »

Chap - your lights do look good as mounted. Thanks for taking the time to post the photo's.
Udoggie's mounts from Twisted Throttle look good also. I hope he can post some photo's when he gets his mounted. Buck's  under mirror mounts are another approach. Too many alternatives.  The higher mount of Bucks could be a real advantage. At first I didn't like the look of the under mirror mount but it grows on you.

Fork
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 11:41:59 AM by Dan Forker »

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 12:26:59 PM »
I have the Buck's mounted on my 09... I think I have one of his first sets.  They are well machined, pretty easy to install.  They did what they are supposed to do.  I don't use them anymore, but they are still installed in case I go back to them.

For late night riding visibility, lighting up higher is better, it reaches out further.

... and with some monster HID's on them...

Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 12:43:26 PM »
The way my C14 eats headlight bulbs I need some different lighting.  3 now in 76,000 miles.

I think its the mad pow-ah of KiPass, bulbs can't handle it!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 12:53:38 PM »
Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's are what I have always used... they go quicker than some others, but are brighter and have a better pattern.

I've heard the Osram side of the brand last longer, from my more "frugal" riding buddies.
Rob

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 05:58:56 PM »

They look like earrings :)

:rotflmao:   and I haven't even started drinking yet.  Going to remedy that now.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 07:20:40 PM »
:rotflmao:   and I haven't even started drinking yet.  Going to remedy that now.

I knew I had seen those on a bike before...  :o  I forgot I had the FF50's on for a while.  :o

Rob

Offline Marco1018

Twisted Throttle Denali light mounts
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 03:02:58 PM »
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/denali-auxiliary-light-mounting-bracket-honda-nc700x-12-20

Anybody have these mounted up yet?  I've been looking into putting a set of driving lights on my 2011.  Looking at putting the DR1 on probably with the amber driving beam cover.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Twisted Throttle Denali light mounts
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 07:47:15 PM »
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/denali-auxiliary-light-mounting-bracket-honda-nc700x-12-20

Anybody have these mounted up yet?  I've been looking into putting a set of driving lights on my 2011.  Looking at putting the DR1 on probably with the amber driving beam cover.

See also:
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=5117
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=12640.msg154586#msg154586
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=14661.msg179838
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17782

Looks like many have similar mounting options
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

sailor_chic

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 11:12:44 AM »

They look like earrings :)

I have clicked on the BST link and it brings me to the C10 under headlight mount.  I searched his sight and can't find any light mounts for the C14

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 01:25:59 PM »

Despite the honda nc700 reference in the link (and the various mount links that max' posted) this appears to be a substantially stout and different C14 lower light mount than I have ever seen before. Good find Marc'
Maybe I don't get out enough.
For a better view of it look at the install instructions.

http://d1l4i7f87txqmq.cloudfront.net/Installation%20Instructions/Denali/Light_Mount/Instructions_LAH.08.10200_rev00.pdf

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 02:04:22 PM »
Many have tried to mount lights down low on the front reflector brackets and had metal fatigue crack them. I had hoped that mounting to the more forward fender bolts would be adequate, but not for me. It took longer but the bracket behind the fender broke and then the weight all went to the fender plastic and broke that as well. First the left side (which I repaired) and now the right side.
So I ordered a set of brackets from Twisted Throttle, and they seem quite stout. Made of powder coated steel which is 1/4 inch thick, I think they should hold up. I'll report back here after the install (probably not until Jan '18).

For those still using fender mounts, I suggest perhaps filling the hole in the middle of the bracket with some epoxy putty. That may dampen vibrations and delay or prevent metal fatigue. Perhaps some engineering types can speculate on the chance of success in this area or offer other suggestions? It is made of aluminum,  perhaps fabricating a new one out of steel would be better?
Anyway, I also had Hyper-Whites (white LEDS) on top of my Denali D1 lights so that added a little extra weight to add to my problem. Although I suspect that their extra aerodynamic load to the mount far exceeded their additional weight effect as they don't weigh that much compared to the light below them.

as yet to be mounted brackets from Twisted Throttle

Offline bowtie39

Re: Twisted Throttle Denali light mounts
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2017, 08:27:51 AM »

Yes....had them on since April this year.  Like them!!
'16 Moondust Gray....gone  2001....the keeper