Author Topic: city lights  (Read 31979 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
city lights
« on: October 30, 2014, 09:48:47 AM »
can anybody point me to a picture or something to let me know what those 2 little bulbs in the front (between the headlights) look like? The manual says 12V 5W, and I found the part in a microfiche but I can't make out what they look like  :-\
Also, if somebody has a comment about different tints for the light they give. I'm trying to match them with the new H4 that I mounted, which are whiter, without being blueish.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: city lights
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 10:44:52 AM »
Small headlight Bulb 12V/5W - 92069-1016
City lights are either a 2825 (5w) or a 2886 (6w)
City lights (LED, inverted cone, white) 194 or 168

Can't vouch for the info, though.  Should get you close.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1650.0

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 11:18:24 AM »
thanks Jim, that's exactly what I was looking for.
Now I found that the H4 headlights I have are 3350 K, so that's what I'm aiming for with the city lights. So far I found only 4000 K...

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 11:30:49 AM »
Let me know how it works out. I had both high beams burn out a couple days apart, and replaced them with some nice white bulbs. Now my city lights look yellow. ::)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 11:39:46 AM »
well, found what I need, me thinks. The ones with 4000K are Osram, and Philips offers (unsurprisingly) a set that matches the X-trem Vision, with 3400K. So I went for those. I didn't take pictures before and after the swap of the head lamps, which is a pity, but I'll try with the city lights if I can.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 12:28:08 PM »
Excellent!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 11:59:21 PM »
sooo... next question  ;D
how do I get to those little fellas there at the nose of the bike? from underneath? I'd look it up in the manual but I'm at work...  :-[

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 04:49:01 AM »
I believe that you get to them by going under the nose of the fairing where the horn is located.

Remove upper inner fairing  according to the manual...that seems a bit extreme though.  I seem to recall that you can get to them by removing the black panels underneath the nose of the bike where the horn is located..checking on that.

Underneath the nose there is a panel held on with 4 plastic rivets.  Remove those rivets (push in the center and then remove the rivets and panel).  You should be able to get access from there.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 05:13:19 AM »
well, found what I need, me thinks. The ones with 4000K are Osram, and Philips offers (unsurprisingly) a set that matches the X-trem Vision, with 3400K. So I went for those. I didn't take pictures before and after the swap of the head lamps, which is a pity, but I'll try with the city lights if I can.

Do you have a link to the bulbs that you went with Martin?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 06:05:56 AM »
Do you have a link to the bulbs that you went with Martin?

this is the link to the eBay item I bought, which is in the German site: http://www.ebay.de/itm/221481001420
And I also found them for you guys in Amazon.com, but they cost a bit more over there: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Blue-Vision-Ultra-Pair/dp/B001B4TJVA/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1414756998&sr=1-1&keywords=Philips+3400k
In Amazon Germany they also cost about 6€ (8 USD).

I should mention that my interest was twofold: increase the light output and get white lights. The H4 X-trem Vision that I got accomplish both without being bluish, which I don't like. These city lights should match the headlights now...

@Jim: thanks. At work I don't have the manual at hand, but I have something else... the bike ;D So I went out and had a look and it looks like you're right and once you get the 4 rivets out, the little bulbs should be easily reachable.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 06:15:03 AM »
I'm always right, Martin, unless I'm wrong.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 05:13:41 AM »
my city lights are amber 168 i think , just for something different, and no more headlight matching for the fancy light guys  :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 05:41:28 AM »
my city lights are amber 168 i think , just for something different, and no more headlight matching for the fancy light guys  :)

Yep.  Mine are amber/yellow, which makes far more sense from a "be seen" standpoint.  I just need some that are much, much brighter.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline 2010rider

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 09:26:30 AM »
I switched to these:
http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/194-168-158-led/6-6k.html
OEM on the left.  One pic in shade and the other in direct sunlight.

Also replace dome lights in my Mustang with these, huge difference.
http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/194-168-158-led/5k-4-hpf.html

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 11:15:04 AM »
I switched to these:
http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/194-168-158-led/6-6k.html
OEM on the left.  One pic in shade and the other in direct sunlight.

Bingo! Thanks!  I think this is what I have been waiting for!!! And amber!!!
http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/194-168-158-led/6-a.html  ordering now (15% off everything today, too)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 11:23:28 AM »
Max, you might check here.... http://www.autolumination.com/194.htm

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 11:29:15 AM »
Max, you might check here.... http://www.autolumination.com/194.htm

Don't be giving me choices or anything, or I will end up ordering nothing!!  Some of those look like the not-as-bright-as-old-incandescent ones I have tried in the past... claiming stuff like 7 Watts and 11 Watts (no freaking way).

Offline Conrad

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 06:01:15 AM »
Are these the same thing?

http://www.amazon.com/5630-Interior-Dome-Light-Bulb/dp/B00GXO3IUG/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1414929561&sr=1-2-fkmr3&keywords=194+6+W+6K+N

They look similar, but those are 6 LED instead of 5 and also have different machining.

I bet you can go on AliExpress and find both on there, eventually.  It is common for many vendors to source the same China parts.  Unfortunately, there are also lots of clones of parts that look the same but are not the same when it comes to what counts.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 01:00:07 PM »
anyway, here's a couple of pictures...

first one shows the old/original bulb on the city light on the left, and the new Philips on the right. The second picture shows the headlights (with both H4s being Philips X-treme Vision). The new 5w bulbs do match the K rating, as promised by the vendor. In the 3rd and 4th pictures you can see what I've got for the city lights. I guess the blue coating on the Philips 5w bulb is because it's an otherwise ordinary filament and gas, which would generate a warm light if it wasn't for the coating.