Author Topic: Brand New $30 TPMS Sensors on EBay  (Read 17642 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Brand New $30 TPMS Sensors on EBay
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2015, 03:00:48 PM »
Sounds like you might need to change the battery in the new sensor.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2015, 05:07:40 PM »
Battery is the answer to most issues with this bike.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sportytoes

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2017, 06:33:01 PM »
I got a reply from the ebay seller, They said that the "code" comes with them to program into the ecu. They said they are currently out of stock but more are on the way. I might have to get one to try since I have a kds system,

I bought a $15 unit off ebay. Brand new and includes the kawasaki labels and all... except for the activation code. It is a perfect match otherwise. I emailed the seller with my dissatisfaction. For $15 i have in this I am willing to exchange. Even if I have to pay the shipping back. The part is 100% new. I cannot confirm it is functional though. The deck is still stacked for me to lose.

At $15 though I will note that unlike the sensor I bought fom the dealer for $210, this one at least included the valve stem nut.  That alone was $12 and not included with the kawasaki part. So I did not gain anything yet, but I have not lost anything. My $210 sensor from the dealer did not include the nut so I did nead that piece at least.  Will see how it goes from here.

I need to replace both sensors. Even if I get past the parts aquisition challenge and cost, I still need to sync the sensors to my 2008 connie. Dealer wants $132 flat rate to use the KDS software to do that. I was going to install the sensors myself and give them the codes needed. It can't take more than 10 minutes even if you count time needed to boot up the laptop!!!

This is the most sophisticated bike I have ever owned. Not entirely happy with what that brings..
Will keep everyone posted. Hopefully china replies to my email.
Crashed before, will crash again. Hopefully in a soft spot at a trackday.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2017, 01:03:43 AM »
I bought a $15 unit off ebay. Brand new and includes the kawasaki labels and all... except for the activation code. [...] I still need to sync the sensors to my 2008 connie. Dealer wants $132 flat rate to use the KDS software to do that.

If I remember correctly, without the codes, it is "impossible" to use the sensors, period.  The codes must be keyed into KDS.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2017, 05:46:05 AM »
Would the bar codes with numbers in the lower picture be the ID codes needed?
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2017, 06:11:17 AM »
I don't think so as they are both the same number.  The id on the original TPS sensor is an 8 digit Hexadecimal number.   I would think that number would be unique to the sensor but I could wrong.  If the numbers are the same then I don't know how it would differentiate (word of the day) from one wheel or another.

Top of page 22...on the KDS manual.  (Believe to be looking at the original sensor)

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=21909.msg272282#msg272282

There's also this from FartyMarty..

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=20518.msg254693#msg254693

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2017, 11:35:42 AM »
I don't think so as they are both the same number.  The id on the original TPS sensor is an 8 digit Hexadecimal number.

Jim, if you zoom in on the bar codes in the lower picture you can see that both of them start with 5200, but all the numbers after that are different.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2017, 12:09:34 PM »
Jim, if you zoom in on the bar codes in the lower picture you can see that both of them start with 5200, but all the numbers after that are different.

True, but it still isn't hexadecimal...
One could derive a hex equivalent from the decimal number, but that would normally require 16 digits and that barcode is only 14.  I suspect it might be a serial number or date code with or without an embedded model number/part number.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2017, 03:10:57 PM »
Did you read Fartymarty's post?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2017, 05:40:00 PM »
I do not think it is a hexadecimal number but rather just a plain 'ole 0-9 number. I say this because I have re- batteried quite a few of them, often writing the numbers down 'cause I am going both at once (front / rear) and have never clanked into anything with an A thru F in it. ??

Brian

I don't think so as they are both the same number.  The id on the original TPS sensor is an 8 digit Hexadecimal number.   I would think that number would be unique to the sensor but I could wrong.  If the numbers are the same then I don't know how it would differentiate (word of the day) from one wheel or another.

Top of page 22...on the KDS manual.  (Believe to be looking at the original sensor)

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=21909.msg272282#msg272282

There's also this from FartyMarty..

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=20518.msg254693#msg254693
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2017, 08:35:05 PM »
Well this is all as clear a mud...

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2017, 07:37:24 PM »
A quasi- KiPass thread: overall, I think it is going pretty well as these things usually fall down an entire flight of stairs before the second page....

An older TPS with both stickers (inner and outer) intact. There are four numbers, and I believe the third is the identifier for the KiPass ECU. Unless of course it is the number in the second line, which given those 'F''s would certainly mean it was hexadecimal 'cause there are very few letters in the decimal system.

Brian

Well this is all as clear a mud...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2017, 05:50:44 AM »
I'm thinking it's the number on the second line with the 'F's.

sailor_chic

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2017, 06:29:13 AM »
But what tires should I use with the new style sensors? I hear that Bridgestone are really the best.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2017, 12:20:14 PM »
Slowly I turn...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2017, 01:24:30 PM »
Bridgestone makes sensors? 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2017, 01:53:20 PM »
In that they may sense the road......yes.

http://www.bridgestone.com/technology_innovation/cais/

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2017, 03:19:07 PM »
That's good cause they sure can't make tires for the c14.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2017, 03:43:08 PM »
On this we agree...

Offline sportytoes

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2017, 10:39:49 PM »
I bought a $15 unit off ebay. Brand new and includes the kawasaki labels and all... except for the activation code. It is a perfect match otherwise. I emailed the seller with my dissatisfaction. For $15 i have in this I am willing to exchange. Even if I have to pay the shipping back. The part is 100% new. I cannot confirm it is functional though. The deck is still stacked for me to lose.
Here is the response from the seller after sharing the problem with them:
--
We do understand your concerns. After checking with the supplier, you need to go to the professtional shop to use the tools to read the code. Would you please have a try later?

However, according to our returns policy, you have to send back the item for exchange or full refund. Considering that it will cost a lot of money and time for you to return it, we would like to resolve the problem quickly and more efficiently. How about we partial refund 6USD to you directly without you returning anything? Please let us know if this will be ok with you.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.
--
So the solution to take the tpms to the shop is not going to work as yall probably clearly understand at this point. With the modest $6 they offer I'm not out any money as I needed to he valve stem nut. It just doesn't solve the need for a working TPMS for a reasonable price. Still begs the question of
1. how to deetermine the code needed to program these things if you don't have it
2. If you have it, are the parts being sold good useable parts or non functional blemms.
Crashed before, will crash again. Hopefully in a soft spot at a trackday.