Author Topic: Finally they figured out the TPS problem. DUH!  (Read 15926 times)

Offline elektradw

• 21st Century Crusade
Finally they figured out the TPS problem. DUH!
« on: November 03, 2016, 05:40:34 PM »
Iv had both TPS replaced under warranty on my 2011. I recently had valves and plugs done and ever since my front TPS delays showing up on the digital display sometimes for over 10 minutes. Both tire pressure readings should display rather quickly. The display does not show the battery low indicator just --. I would assume that the sensor uses bluetooth to transfer data and I wonder if there is a small antenna under the hood that might have gotten kinked or broken. Once the reading comes up on the digital display it will stay until the bike is shut off. Then it will take another 10 minutes to reappear. Any ideas on why this is occurring?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:26:22 PM by elektradw »
'68 Hoda 305 Dream, '76 Triumph Bonneville,  '85 BMW K100, '85 BMW K100 Turbo, '95 HD Heritage, '97 HD Dresser, '99HD Roadking, '01 HD Dynaglide, '08 C14, '11 C14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Tire Pressure Reading Delayed Up To 15 Minutes
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 08:22:24 PM »
First I've heard of that one.  Were the valves and plugs done by a dealer?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 09:20:51 PM »
I would say it is more likely that the front sensor's motion activated power switch is sticky or not quite right and is not activating and turning the unit on when it should.  It might get better over time.... but then again, it might get worse or just stay the same.  If it were me, I would report it to the dealer and tell them I will check back with them in a month or something.  If it doesn't improve, have them replace it again.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 05:00:50 AM »
That does seem awfully coincidental with the other work, though.  Working fine before and now not so much?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 05:13:13 AM »
I would say it is more likely that the front sensor's motion activated power switch is sticky or not quite right and is not activating and turning the unit on when it should.  It might get better over time.... but then again, it might get worse or just stay the same.  If it were me, I would report it to the dealer and tell them I will check back with them in a month or something.  If it doesn't improve, have them replace it again.

Soooo...

It might change or stay the same eh Max?  ;)

I've seen my displays delayed for a bit. It's never both though and never 10 mins or more.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 05:30:21 AM »
Soooo...
It might change or stay the same eh Max?  ;)

Yeah, that sounded pretty damn stupid when I went back and read it.  Good for a laugh!

I've seen my displays delayed for a bit. It's never both though and never 10 mins or more.

Mine never delay more than around a minute at the most.  I would say it is typically about 10 to 20 seconds.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jwh20

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 05:41:19 AM »
There are no moving parts inside the TPMS modules.  There is an electronic accelerometer that detects the wheel motion and triggers the module to turn on.  The TPMS modules communicate directly with the KiPass ECU under the seat via RF at 315 MHz (in the US, other parts of the world use a different frequency, 400 MHz I think) and the antenna is internal to the ECU. 

I've noticed that sometimes it takes longer to register than others, may be due to RF interference or just takes some time for the thing to start talking.  It's also possible that you do have a bad battery condition and rather than registering low battery the module is just dead until the battery warms up and then comes alive.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 08:54:59 AM »
My front  08 TPS has intermittent function. The battery had died (---) and I replaced it myself but it still got --- I sent it to Fred Harmon for battery replacement. This time the TPS worked, for 3 miles and then went to ---. Ever since it will generally work for about the first 3 miles of a trip and then go to --- for most of the ride but coming on randomly but most often after a hard launch from stopped, but it never stay on for more than 5 or 6 miles. Fred's opinion is that the radio is flaky but I think the accelerometer might be the issue. I intend to research on how these accelerometers work but have been to busy.

At any rate I am not really concerned about it since I bought an 09 C14 for long rides and only use the 08 for trips to the Beverage Store and the Gym. Also, in 491,000 miles of riding I have never had a front tire go flat. Except that time I put a big dent in the wheel, in which case the TPS was of little help.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline clogan

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 09:10:42 AM »
Two of my three most recent flat tires were both on the front. To even things out, the rear had two punctures, side by side. Looked like a snake bite. Ive got nuthin re: the TPS delay.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 12:22:33 PM »
Back to the delay...   The KIPASS ECU is where the sensors transmit their info.  That's the big box next to the rear master cylinder with the strap over it.  Pull the seat and look for anything out of the ordinary.  Other than that, I got nothin.  The system does NOT use Bluetooth technology as far as I'm aware.  It uses RF.  No antenna that I'm aware of.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 03:13:36 PM »
There is an antenna but it's contained inside the KiPass ECU.  In the photo the silver "L" to the upper RH corner is it:

https://goo.gl/photos/hBLoKZSGEMmgK4vXA

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 04:09:25 PM »
Ok, ya got me.   I was thinking outside the box.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 04:29:18 PM »
Ok, ya got me.   I was thinking outside the box.
:doh:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 05:49:48 PM »
Glad I could be of assistance... :rotflmao:

Offline elektradw

• 21st Century Crusade
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 01:06:21 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I would assume then that the TPS module is bad. After watching it for the last week the symptoms remain the same. Long delay (up to 20 mi) then on then off then on and then it stays on till you shut the bike off. Then repeats the same symptoms again. The rear sensor works fine and the display registers within minutes of riding off. I will bring it by the dealership that installed the module and see what they say.

On another note. The valve check was finally done at 95k by a local dealer, with all intake valves still in spec. Only one exhaust valve was out at .005 so they adjusted all the exhaust valves to center. Plugs were changed, however, the OEMs were still ok.

Not suggesting or defending any adjustment schedules just noting the facts as they were documented on my 2011 Concours. I do not wind out the rpms when shifting, in my old age I am a much more conservative rider. Mostly ride between 3k-6k. But this shows me that this bike has an incredible margin of safety built into the engine. Don't abuse it and it will, like the energizer bunny, pretty much keep going and going and ...
'68 Hoda 305 Dream, '76 Triumph Bonneville,  '85 BMW K100, '85 BMW K100 Turbo, '95 HD Heritage, '97 HD Dresser, '99HD Roadking, '01 HD Dynaglide, '08 C14, '11 C14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 03:21:27 PM »
On another note. The valve check was finally done at 95k by a local dealer, with all intake valves still in spec. Only one exhaust valve was out at .005 so they adjusted all the exhaust valves to center. Plugs were changed, however, the OEMs were still ok.

Cool.  You should probably add that info to one of the zillion valve adjustment threads.  Perhaps this one: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=21328.15  Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a perfect, single, well-rounded, long-running thread.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 04:20:56 PM »
Fixed it up for ya'.   ::) ;D

Brian

<snip>

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a perfect, single, well-rounded, long-running thread, anywhere in the Internet, or in any library present or past, on any subject, by any author(s). So you have to read through a bunch of garbage in the hope of finding the occasional gem.... or at least a better grade of garbage here and there.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 04:40:23 PM »
Fixed it up for ya'.   ::) ;D

Hey, one can dream, can't one???

Offline elektradw

• 21st Century Crusade
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 03:14:38 PM »
After 2 months waiting, Kawasaki finally approved a TPS replacement on my front tire. This was accepted under my extended warranty.  TPS replaced and now doesn't work at all. Dealer stumped as they were able to register the TPS with the ECM but will not show up on the display. Situation went from bad to worse. So the dealer opened a new inquiry and waiting for instructions to follow up. Now 4 weeks later nothing from Kawasaki. Really disappointed in their response to this warranty claim. Am I the first owner with this problem?

Offline chap

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 03:33:06 PM »
Have you added anything to the bike. LED Lights, new GPS, anything that may cause RF interference. Much like the FOB sometimes doesn't work with interference. Or they installed a shield over the motor that is now blocking the path (LOL). Crazy talk but you could take the wheel off and spin it beside the bike, closer to the antenna. See if it works there. Seems like a strange situation.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)