Author Topic: Week+ with Steve's Evolution Flash  (Read 4638 times)

Offline saxaphool

Week+ with Steve's Evolution Flash
« on: April 12, 2017, 01:11:57 PM »
Got my ECU back last Tuesday and got it hooked up. Bike started fine, so my wife hopped on and we rode about 30 miles to where she rides horses. I wasn't blown away like so many other people have been. I felt the like the bike responded better, but with the wifey, it was hard to tell. After dropping her off, I ran solo for a bit and started to feel what the hype was all about, but still wasn't blown away. Since last Tuesday, I've had the opportunity to ride several more times solo, and I've become a Believer! The bike pulls all the way through the throttle. TBH I think I was being too timid on the throttle at first...you really have to give it some gas, but when you do, better hold on. Great upgrade! Well worth the $$$. Thanks Steve....can't wait for Evo II!
2016 C14, Cee Bailey Ultra Tour, Kaoko Throttle Lock, HeliBar Risers, Hyper-Lights Brake Lights, Steve's Evo Flash...more to come!

Offline kzz1king

Re: Week+ with Steve's Evolution Flash
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 01:16:34 PM »
Thanks for your post. I was feeling the same way at first. It was tough for me because it had been 6 months since I had last ridden the bike. I was out with my buddy (on a poky Valkerie) and was doing some hard runs rolling on from about 30 mph. It does fairly rip ;D. Liking it more all the time.
Wayne

Got my ECU back last Tuesday and got it hooked up. Bike started fine, so my wife hopped on and we rode about 30 miles to where she rides horses. I wasn't blown away like so many other people have been. I felt the like the bike responded better, but with the wifey, it was hard to tell. After dropping her off, I ran solo for a bit and started to feel what the hype was all about, but still wasn't blown away. Since last Tuesday, I've had the opportunity to ride several more times solo, and I've become a Believer! The bike pulls all the way through the throttle. TBH I think I was being too timid on the throttle at first...you really have to give it some gas, but when you do, better hold on. Great upgrade! Well worth the $$$. Thanks Steve....can't wait for Evo II!
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 03:48:33 PM »
You know all that low rpm / light throttle drama you didn't notice? The feeling that the bike is easy to ride easy, so you just ignore how nice it is when you're just easing along? yeah, I worked HARD for that!  :yikes:  Steve

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 05:19:03 PM »
You know all that low rpm / light throttle drama you didn't notice? The feeling that the bike is easy to ride easy, so you just ignore how nice it is when you're just easing along? yeah, I worked HARD for that!  :yikes:  Steve

That is pretty common.  When things are smooth and nice and wonderful, it is easy to overlook.  Far easier to notice hesitation, jerkiness, power dips, etc.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 07:31:53 PM »
Actually it is the first thing I noticed Steve along with the feeling it shifts smoother. But it is the added power that makes me  ;D ;D 8)
Wayne

2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 07:16:47 AM »
Actually it is the first thing I noticed Steve along with the feeling it shifts smoother. But it is the added power that makes me  ;D ;D 8)
Wayne

The added power was the easiest stuff to get. All the change in manners, and the fuel economy... that was the real work. It's also the reason why I know my flash will never have any competition... no other idiot would put so much time and effort into massaging one model motorcycle  ::)  Steve

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 02:50:02 PM »
The added power was the easiest stuff to get. All the change in manners, and the fuel economy... that was the real work. It's also the reason why I know my flash will never have any competition... no other idiot would put so much time and effort into massaging one model motorcycle  ::)  Steve

Hopefully when the new version C14 arrives (gen 3?? probably 2018) you will love that one too and put way too much time and effort into that one also :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 04:09:18 PM »
If a new one comes out, I'll buy you lunch.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 05:06:23 PM »
(I'm slightly off topic once again as this is the Decel flash not the EVO)

I noticed the first time I stopped started at off from a stop sign at the end of my block that there was more oomph off of the line or on start up after obtaining Steve's flash. I would have noticed it sooner than that except I have a down hill departure down and out of my driveway. I have (or so it seems to me) too much play or slack in my drive line to say that it is much smoother at slow speeds than the original or the Guhl flashes. I get a jerk no matter what from off throttle to even just barely on throttle. I don't have any smoother shifting than I had before, nor can I understand how any FI changes could effect same if one uses the clutch for shifting (which I do) so I assume that everyone (including SISF) is referring to smoother up shifting by merely applying slight up pressure to the shifter and closing the throttle to complete the shift. Like I said, I almost never do that.

Negatives: none other than cost, but the cost seems justified to me and not unreasonable. I also thought it was nice that a hefty discount was offered for a reflash when the EVO flash was released.

Positives: 1) I recommend this flash (OK, technically I can only recommend the Decel flash because that's the one I have) for those riding two-up frequently and especially for two-up riding the older C14s with the taller 1st gear. Taking off from a stop is much easier in my opinion with Steve's flash and it will, I'm sure, require less throttle and less clutch slipping for start ups when riding two-up.
2) Mine accelerates like a scalded cat. However to be honest this is the highest performance bike I've ever owned/ridden so I recall having that same opinion when it was new and not yet reflashed.

If a new one comes out, I'll buy you lunch.

Quoted, and witnessed, and saved!

However, with the current trends of Harley mania, older riders switching to lighter bikes, Sport Touring in somewhat of a decline (my perception anyway), and in general younger adults not much interested in anything that you can't activate without a somewhat gay looking (not that there is anything wrong with that) finger swipe....it seems more likely that Mama Kaw will cancel the C14 rather than replace it with a newer upgraded model. I hope that doesn't happen, but just in case..does anyone want to buy my lunch if it does?   

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 05:48:14 PM »
it seems more likely that Mama Kaw will cancel the C14 rather than replace it with a newer upgraded model.

OMG, don't say such things!!  Sacrilege!!!

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 08:42:13 PM »
Fartymarty - one of the objectives of the EVO flash over the decel flash was to build in a "throttle tamer" of sorts, so you don't get that feeling of driveline slack. That goal was achieved. Steve

Offline srech77

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 07:05:22 PM »
Fartymarty - one of the objectives of the EVO flash over the decel flash was to build in a "throttle tamer" of sorts, so you don't get that feeling of driveline slack. That goal was achieved. Steve

I'm having a lot of fun with my new Evo flash - I've had many bikes and ordered many flashes from various folks. It is very evident Steve put in the time behind these flashes. Never have I seen an improvement in so many areas of the bike with just a "simple" flash. Usually it's just more power, or better mileage, better closed loop, etc... I can't find a single area on my C14 now that hasn't noticeably improved. Very pleased!

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 10:56:04 AM »
I sent my ECU out to Steve yesterday.  I am confident that it will deliver as promised.  Add new tires, a clean air filter, and a tweak to the suspension settings and I can't wait for this weekend to put it to the test.  I get excited about goofy stuff and this is awesome! ;D

Jon

(I haven't given up on my TPS batteries either. I'll figure it out)