Author Topic: making your own tools  (Read 1256 times)

Offline mellow yellow

making your own tools
« on: April 24, 2017, 05:01:50 PM »
a few days ago was contemplating about buying another tire iron to do any future tire changes. a couple of irons that I have, are a little short to provide adequate  leverage. but then I realize that I could make my own! so I had some 3/4 inch pipe and 1/8 inch flat stock and welded myself a tire iron. how many of you make your own tools instead of purchasing either because you can, you're frugal, or you can't find the right tool that you need?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: making your own tools
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 05:18:21 PM »
My best friend, who is a mechanic, makes tools all the time.  Mostly "special use" or "special purpose" tools for pulling and disassembling various parts off or alignment jigs, etc.  He has quite a collection going.  I don't know how he remembers what he even has.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 07:22:47 PM »
Alrighty, here's one, a swing arm bearing puller.

You loosen the bolts holding the bearing, thread the bolt into the bearing, and tighten the nut to pull out the bearing.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 07:02:10 AM »
I make simple tools all the time. One example the push rivets under the windshield for the top side panels are a pain to remove without removing the windshield. So I take about 6" of wire coat hanger, bend 1/2" 90 degree in one end and flatten the other end with a hammer on an anvil (my bench press). The bent end is used to put the rivit in and the tiny flattened end allows me to get under it and pull it out. Getting one of those panels off is about a 1 minute job with that tool.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 03:02:13 PM »
I make simple tools all the time. One example the push rivets under the windshield for the top side panels are a pain to remove without removing the windshield. So I take about 6" of wire coat hanger, [...]

I have something that looks like a dental pick, with a 90 degree angle and use that for those rivets.  What a strange place to put plastic rivets.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc