Author Topic: Does sharing a link....  (Read 4414 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Does sharing a link....
« on: May 01, 2017, 06:54:45 PM »
Rick or Jim, does sharing a link or recommending a web site constitute copyright infringement and therefore put this forum in legal jeopardy? I'm not talking about posting material directly to the forum or using the forum for as a file sharing medium.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
Re: Does sharing a link....
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 10:10:21 PM »
Really ???

We live in a world where URLs are added to chocolate bars, in tv adverts, given out by Breakfast TV [presenters (to give but a few examples) and this has to be asked?

(noted that you have caveated your question by explicitly excluding direct file linking/filesharing which could potentially be problematic although then again any copyright infringement is carried out by the person sharing/distributing the material not the person downloading it[unless they then go on to redistribute it])

Here are three of my favourite URLs

http://www.theregister.co.uk/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news

https://www.youtube.com/
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 12:43:37 AM »
Rick or Jim, does sharing a link or recommending a web site constitute copyright infringement and therefore put this forum in legal jeopardy? I'm not talking about posting material directly to the forum or using the forum for as a file sharing medium.

Users posts are not moderated (run through the mill) before they become public fodder. This is SOP for almost all public venues, forums, and chat rooms. Therefore the forum owners/admins/service providers/hardware suppliers... are generally immune from stupid chit posted by the users. The users are liable for any/all post the make. Though any/all lawyers may try to include anybody remotely involved, and they often do.

If a user posts a blatant copyright infringement link/site, the users on this site have the obligation of reporting it to the administrators, and the administrators will take appropriate action... if warranted.

In a nutshell, don't post stupid chit.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 03:23:32 AM »
You playing dodgeball with the question....

Bubba..."Hey Billy Bob I need a FSM so I can work on my UJM."

Billy Bob..."Hey Bubba I think you can download a copy here.... http:/ blah blah blah".

Has a crime been committed by simply having the conversation?

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 05:29:49 AM »
***sigh***
--

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 04:57:56 PM »
I am not Rick or Jim, and I am not speaking for them but I cannot imagine how posting a link to anything could be a copyright infringement. Unless the link itself were copyrighted itself in the first place and held by the owner(s) for exclusive use.... but how would that work and what would be the point? And that is the finest point of the law I can think of; in the real world, who would even try to prosecute such a thing and why?

Copyrighted material is 'illegal to copy or reproduce' but every single day gazillions (technical term) of people use the copiers in libraries to copy pages of every type of book imaginable. While technically illegal, his is NOT what a copyright is intended to stop at all, it is intended to stop any entity from making a profit by duplicating an original work. So, for example, the almanac publisher does not care if someone, even many people, copy a page here and there but instead do not want any entity to re-print or electronically duplicate the original work for a profit.

All the way back to the beginning of your question, I think you just got a bad call from someone who does not really the rules he / she is trying to enforce. In a perfect world, we would all park correctly in the center of a parking space.... but in reality, bad parking is just that and nothing more; can you imagine ANYONE pressing for civil or criminal prosecution for being off- center in a parking lot slot?

Now,  in  a larger sense, that forum has done what it usually does so very well.... it riled you up! It riled me up too until I learned my lesson, which is not to frolic over there in the first place.  ;D but also  ::) The fact that you may have been honestly and in every true sense actually help someone does not matter in the least.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
--

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 12:08:33 PM »
I really wouldn't worry about it.  If we see something that we feel needs taken down, we'll ask you to remove it.  This doesn't happen very often, BTW.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 05:01:15 AM »
How about this for blatant copyright infringement?   

I'm a member of a Mazda forum and the moderator for the subsection (CX-5) that I'm interested in recently started a thread stating that anyone who would like an electronic copy of the FSM for their vehicle could get it from him. All the requester had to do was to make a donation of $5 or more to the forum...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 05:04:47 AM »
I am not Rick or Jim, and I am not speaking for them but I cannot imagine how posting a link to anything could be a copyright infringement. Unless the link itself were copyrighted itself in the first place and held by the owner(s) for exclusive use.... but how would that work and what would be the point? And that is the finest point of the law I can think of; in the real world, who would even try to prosecute such a thing and why?

Copyrighted material is 'illegal to copy or reproduce' but every single day gazillions (technical term) of people use the copiers in libraries to copy pages of every type of book imaginable. While technically illegal, his is NOT what a copyright is intended to stop at all, it is intended to stop any entity from making a profit by duplicating an original work. So, for example, the almanac publisher does not care if someone, even many people, copy a page here and there but instead do not want any entity to re-print or electronically duplicate the original work for a profit.

All the way back to the beginning of your question, I think you just got a bad call from someone who does not really the rules he / she is trying to enforce. In a perfect world, we would all park correctly in the center of a parking space.... but in reality, bad parking is just that and nothing more; can you imagine ANYONE pressing for civil or criminal prosecution for being off- center in a parking lot slot?

Now,  in  a larger sense, that forum has done what it usually does so very well.... it riled you up! It riled me up too until I learned my lesson, which is not to frolic over there in the first place.  ;D but also  ::) The fact that you may have been honestly and in every true sense actually help someone does not matter in the least.

Brian

I did actually help someone by posting the link. Said person thanked me for the link and said that it helped him with his dealer issue. That was just before I was 'asked' to remove the link.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 05:16:06 AM »
Interesting, is this not copyright infringement?

http://forum.cog-online.org/say-anything-here-except-that!/woohoo-fais-is-the-man-thanks-bro-great-marketing!/

Let's see how that's handled.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 05:17:30 AM »
I did actually help someone by posting the link. Said person thanked me for the link and said that it helped him with his dealer issue. That was just before I was 'asked' to remove the link.
Did he also have to retract his thank you?

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 05:34:39 AM »
as a general principle if anyone starts actively removing links before a complaint is received (from the copyright holder)then potentially they could lose the defense of being a "mere conduit".

On the other hand if a complaint is received and no action is taken then they could be liable/in contempt.

Just my random thinkings  8)
--

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 10:23:42 AM »
I am not surprised.... but what I meant was that your best intentions and deeds would not shield you from.... ah, 'excessive moderation', in the least.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 10:28:54 AM »
I am confident that it will be handled in a fair and even- handed manner, just as it always has been.....

I bet the whole experience makes you anxious to pay dues to join, right?

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Brian

Interesting, is this not copyright infringement?

http://forum.cog-online.org/say-anything-here-except-that!/woohoo-fais-is-the-man-thanks-bro-great-marketing!/

Let's see how that's handled.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2017, 07:01:47 AM »
I am confident that it will be handled in a fair and even- handed manner, just as it always has been.....

I bet the whole experience makes you anxious to pay dues to join, right?

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Brian

I was a dues paying member there for two years. After I saw how things worked over there I let my membership lapse.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2017, 07:53:22 AM »
I'm glad you pay dues here.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 08:04:31 AM »
Yeah, there is some of that going on..... They had a 'membership retention's' officer for a while but (wait for it......) he quit. :-)

Institutions, organizations, businesses and other large 'nameless and faceless' groupings of people have personalities. It is not logical but it certainly does seem to be how things are. Fly three times on United and then three times on Southwest and I believe you will experience two very different organizational personalities. Perhaps the personality of the organization permeates through the membership, dragging newer members of a different disposition into the fold. Perhaps organizations of a certain culture attract individuals who have personalities that are already a good fit. ?? Either way, it tends to persist and this is why it is so difficult to alter the direction of an existing organization, whether from the top, bottom or anywhere in- between.

I like a lot of COG members, and have quite a few friends in the organization, locally of course but little clusters all over the country. Great people who are pleasant, kind, a lot of fun and very helpful. That organization's forum is very much separated from the rank and file membership though. And I still get together with them, not as often as before as I am short of time but we (my wife and I) make a strong effort to stay in the fold; tech. day in MA is without a doubt one of the very funnest couple of days (we start the day before and stay until the day after) in our entire year. I work all day on other people's bikes and have a great time doing so. But because of the way the forum is, I just cannot bring myself to pay dues that support that...... thing.

Brian

I was a dues paying member there for two years. After I saw how things worked over there I let my membership lapse.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 08:04:53 AM »
I'm glad you pay dues here.

And well worth it, even at twice the price!