Author Topic: Garmin Shutting off after a few minutes.. Found culprit. What is this in pic ?  (Read 3275 times)

Offline Buckybuk

My garmin is loosing power after a few minutes. I hear a click coming from this relay then I loose power to the garmin. Can anyone identify the part I'm holding in pic and its purpose ? part # 27002-1086 0243D5

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
WAG (wild arsed guess), Omron makes electro mechanical relays.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
 Just another WAG. You may or may not have found the culprit.  A switch  of some sorts controls the relay.  You may have a bad connection turning the coil on and off.  A bad ground?  Just throwing that out here.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Are you plugged into the Accessory circuit?  In snooping around I'm seeing references to accessories with a relay of that part number.  As this is a gen2 I don't have a diagram handy.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
That appears to be the grip warmer relay (from what I can see in the shop manual) That part number is not unique as I think there are at least 5 relays with the same part number on the bike used for different things of course.
What circuit did you tie into for power to the Garmin? The grip warmer relay is controlled by the ECU, although I have no idea why. Perhaps if it senses a low battery condition it is one of the things it powers down to conserve power for important stuff like the fuel pump and injectors?
The accessory relay is up under the black plastic cover just in front of the fuel cap.

If you aren't sure where the Garmin is wired in, (previous owner's wiring) and you can't trace the wires, try pulling fuses until it isn't powered up at all.
Good Luck!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Yeah, as others have said, that is a generic relay. No way to tell what it is wired too without wiring colors (what colors the wires are that go to / from the relay, there should be (4) or (5) wires connected to the relay). Tell us the wire colors and I believe I can tell you what circuit that is.

Still, I do not see why a relay turning on or off should turn the Garmin off unless of course, the Garmin is wired to the circuit controlled by the relay.... which is a bad idea in the first place.

Brian

My garmin is loosing power after a few minutes. I hear a click coming from this relay then I loose power to the garmin. Can anyone identify the part I'm holding in pic and its purpose ? part # 27002-1086 0243D5
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline chap

If you are tied into the Grip warmer cct. It turns off after 2 mins. if the bike is not moving. I guess to save power when the bike isn't generating much at idle.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
If you are tied into the Grip warmer cct. It turns off after 2 mins. if the bike is not moving. I guess to save power when the bike isn't generating much at idle.

THANK YOU for that information.  I was wondering if that actually happened, because my observations made it seem like it was somewhat magically speed-sensitive at times and I was pretty sure it didn't have a [real] thermostat.  This would, indeed, explain why it would need control from the ECU.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS

:goodpost:

Eureka!...another secret Kawasaki gem hidden in plain sight in the Owner's Manual.   ::)  :rotflmao:

Quote from: owner's manual {2010}
Battery Protection -

This grip warmer is equipped with the
automatic shift switch to prevent the
battery from running down. There-
fore,when the motorcycle is at a stop
or is slowing down, the switch may
be turned off automatically. Once the
motorcycle returns to normal operat-
ing speed, the switch is turned on au-
tomatically.

During the motorcycle is traveling at
extremely low speed, the automatic
shift switch may not be turned on de-
pending on the battery condition.

Batteries are consumable goods. If
the lifetime of the battery is at the
end, the grip warmer cannot operate.
Inspect the battery and replace it with
a new one.

.....This would, indeed, explain why it would need control from the ECU.

Yep. Now if we could only find out why it's so much fun to turn on (to high of course) a buddies grip warmer in July when he or she is in the store getting a Gatorade.   ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Yep. Now if we could only find out why it's so much fun to turn on (to high of course) a buddies grip warmer in July when he or she is in the store getting a Gatorade.   ;)

When I was finished riding Sunday I was all like "wow my hands are hot" and looked down and, sure enough, I must have brushed against the control and accidentally turned it on a few miles prior when I was gassing it up.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
... I must have brushed against the control and accidentally turned it on a few miles prior when I was gassing it up.

Yeah, I'm sure that was it...hee hee..hee. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.