Author Topic: ECU Flash  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Goat

ECU Flash
« on: July 03, 2017, 07:34:21 AM »
OK, I ordered the Evo flash from Steve knowing I would need to re-install the secondaries however much to my dismay there were two screws broken off so I couldn't put them back.  I talked with Steve who told me that I would get about 90% of the benefit without them and, since I already had my flashed ECU back, I went ahead and removed the PC V and went with it. Now let me give you my impressions from a bit with it.

The bike is much smoother, refined which is very nice in the slow parking lot situations.  I work on a military installation so most of the driving is 25mph or less.  The ability to run in 2d gear with no jerkiness is a huge benefit.

I read as many posts as I could find before doing the flash and was very interested in the decel improvement, boy is it impressive.  With the PC V regardless the gear there was much more engine braking, more abrupt.  Now it slows but the engine braking is so smooth as to be almost imperceptible.  The first couple times heading for a corner with it was strange, I felt I was slowing but really couldn't feel the engine braking.  I like that a lot, I can now focus on being more smooth and enjoying myself.

On my road home there are two 15mph 90 degree turns that were second gear before and the power was abrupt.  I have a throttle tamer on it which helped some.  Now I take in 3rd gear and can roll on the throttle as soon as I'm in the corner, the power is linear with no stumble and builds up very predictably.  I feel I have much more control over the throttle.  In fact the power delivery is linear and smooth in any gear.

Speaking of power delivery, I stretched the cable in 3rd gear and holy cow did it pull like never before, I thought the front was coming off the ground so I popped a quick shift to 4th, same thing. Only when I got into 5th did the front feel like it was on the ground but it was still pulling like a freight train!  I commute 100 miles a day most of it slab at 80 mph or so, in OD the roll on is impressive.

I am not down playing the PC V in any way, in fact I installed an updated map from Fuel Moto a few months ago before deciding to try the flash.  My observations are just that.  It's hard to describe, the engine felt "tight" with the PC V and now it feels freed up and revs more easily.

I am thinking of replacing throttle bodies to ones with secondaries to get that last 10% but am not in a rush, I'm going to enjoy the phenomenal improvement, it feels like a 1400 with manners!

With all that being said I am highly impressed and glad I went this route, this is certainly a top shelf upgrade and if you are on the fence go for it, you will not be disappointed. 

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
Re: ECU Flash
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 10:06:09 AM »
+1     Had mine flashed recently.  I'm learning more about this flash every day.  All good things.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 08:42:19 AM by Tree »

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
Re: ECU Flash
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 11:31:06 AM »
+1     Had mine flashed recently.  I'm learning more about this flash every day.  All good things.

HA - Stealth mode. Seriously, I'm glad it's working that way for you. There is a lot of depth to this flash, lots of things I adjusted because of certain things I felt under certain situations and wanted to change. That's what happens when you re-do the same thing over 100 times, at least if you're making progress. In fact there's big progress early on, and then it's like trying to chip a boulder into pebbles. Slow, but the results are there - Steve