Author Topic: Tires  (Read 12453 times)

Offline Cpt Chillaxin

Tires
« on: May 17, 2017, 05:52:55 AM »
I wish someone told me id be replacing tires on my 14 almost every other oil change. Fronts gone 4700 miles.

Offline jwh20

Re: Tires
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 06:23:26 AM »
That seems a bit low unless you're a very aggressive rider.  What tires have you been using?

Offline Cpt Chillaxin

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 06:48:42 AM »
Stock Bridgestones. I was real easy breaking in the bike as well. Thinking Michelin pilot 3??

sailor_chic

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 07:13:44 AM »
I just got 13840 miles out of my PR4GT.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 08:55:30 AM »
Stock Bridgestones. I was real easy breaking in the bike as well. Thinking Michelin pilot 3??

The stock tires SUCK!  Nobody here will defend them.  I have used the Michelin PR3 and PR4 and both are great tires.  Today I'd probably be considering the PR4GT or the Pirelli Angel GT "A" Spec.  Both are heavy sport touring specific.  The only reason I'm not considering them right now is that I still have a lot of life left in my PR4's.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 10:19:44 AM »
The stockers did ok with me.  I guess it depends how one rides and what they rode previously.  However, the consensus seems to be PR3/4.  I'm running Angels now but that's because we had a deal on them some time back.  If I were to buy again it would be PR3/4s for the C14.   
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 07:40:46 PM »
I just got 13840 miles out of my PR4GT.

I am at over 17,000 miles on my PR4GT, but they have zero tread left in the center.  :)
(And yes, I still have the new set sitting in my living room, waiting for the right time)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 04:10:02 AM »
That's nearly as bad as having them on a shelf.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 06:05:53 AM »
That's nearly as bad as having them on a shelf.

Yep.   Sitting right next to the Motion Pro and brake fluid....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 10:38:39 PM »
I wish someone told me id be replacing tires on my 14 almost every other oil change. Fronts gone 4700 miles.

That's why I call the stock 021 tires Crapstones. Get PR4"s GT or non GT. They are the best all around IMHO, and should go 12-15000 miles unless you are a lot more psycho than me.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 08:03:45 AM »
We're only allowed 5 psychos on the forum.  It's hard coded in the programs.  We had 3 and now we're up to 5.  It will take significant amounts of cash to change the programs to allow more.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 08:29:49 AM »
We're only allowed 5 psychos on the forum.  It's hard coded in the programs.  We had 3 and now we're up to 5.  It will take significant amounts of cash to change the programs to allow more.
For some reason that post caused an uncontrollable nervous twitch.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 06:03:49 PM »

Now I'll have to tell my shrink that I've been banned from my bike forum...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 05:58:34 AM »
Hold off on that, I would.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 06:03:10 AM »
Hold off on that, I would.

He should, indeed, Jimyoda

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 10:42:15 AM »
(And yes, I still have the new set sitting in my living room, waiting for the right time)
Yep.   Sitting right next to the Motion Pro and brake fluid....

So, it's safe to say that your living room doesn't resemble something seen in the Pottery Barn catalogue?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 02:21:00 PM »
So, it's safe to say that your living room doesn't resemble something seen in the Pottery Barn catalogue?

Well.... the thought process was that by having it visible so I see it every day, it would motivate me to DO IT.  Obviously it hasn't worked as planned.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2017, 01:12:42 PM »
Well.... the thought process was that by having it visible so I see it every day, it would motivate me to DO IT.  Obviously it hasn't worked as planned.

OK max', now I understand. I put stuff that I should read "someday" in the bathroom and it generally gets read within the week.
 I wish that could work with tires and brake fluid. Although I haven't actually tried it, I'm extremely doubtful of success, besides with all the reading material
stacking up, there isn't room for tires too.  ::)

Offline Cpt Chillaxin

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 12:20:38 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input. Went with Michelin p4. I'll Let u know how they treat me!

sailor_chic

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 06:52:08 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input. Went with Michelin p4. I'll Let u know how they treat me!

PR4 or PR4GT?