Author Topic: I updated my City Lights  (Read 3501 times)

Offline Fontenot

I updated my City Lights
« on: June 14, 2017, 09:36:41 AM »
I updated my city Lights with LED Replacements from Super Bright LED'S. Now for the Headlights!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 07:02:10 AM by Fontenot »
2016 Black C-14
Ivan's Flash
Two Brother's pipe.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: I updated my City Lights
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 03:04:50 PM »
Yep, pretty common.  My recommendation is always to change them to yellow.  That will increase front visibility "complexity" which is good for safety.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 01:56:33 AM »
And there was me thinking you just don't like "white" lights Max ;)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 05:37:22 AM »
And there was me thinking you just don't like "white" lights Max ;)

Nothing wrong with white lights, but yellow is better because it creates contrast with the headlights instead of just blending into them.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 11:38:02 PM »
IMHO the standard yellow city lights (what a daft name especially as you dont have a headlight switch) just vanish anyways (unless your close up) with any sort of bright white headlight
--

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 11:43:29 PM »
Funny thing but 'city lights' were / are a European thing and not indigenous to the US. Our vehicles do not have them. Of late, perhaps 20 years, we have had what we call daytime running lights but they are far brighter than the European city lights. As the story goes, way back in the olden' days, the plan was that cities would be illuminated brightly enough so that no headlights would be needed, and in fact would only serve to lessen the vision of on- coming drivers. But some type of marker light was thought to be a good idea and the city light was born.

So we did not daftly (is that a word?) name them anything at all.

:-)

Brian

IMHO the standard yellow city lights (what a daft name especially as you dont have a headlight switch) just vanish anyways (unless your close up) with any sort of bright white headlight
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 12:18:21 AM »
Funny thing but 'city lights' were / are a European thing and not indigenous to the US. Our vehicles do not have them. Of late, perhaps 20 years, we have had what we call daytime running lights but they are far brighter than the European city lights. As the story goes, way back in the olden' days, the plan was that cities would be illuminated brightly enough so that no headlights would be needed, and in fact would only serve to lessen the vision of on- coming drivers. But some type of marker light was thought to be a good idea and the city light was born.

So we did not daftly (is that a word?) name them anything at all.

:-)

Brian

They make sense if you can turn off the headlight or lea e them turned on with ignition off  as parking lights :)
--

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 02:13:49 AM »
Yeah, we have always had that same question regarding emergency flashers: if you had to leave the bike and wanted to leave the flashers on, you would have to leave the ignition on also. Pretty dumb. A better idea would be that if you turned the flashers on while the ignition were on, then turned the ignition off, the flashers would stay on. That way no one could tinker with the bike and turn on any electrical devices but the owner could still leave the flashers on and the ign. off if needed.

But they mostly got the bike's running gear right, and usually more than right, so I guess we can overlook the little glitches..... Put another way, better the light problem(s) than the occasional piston seizure, right?    :yikes:

Brian

They make sense if you can turn off the headlight or lea e them turned on with ignition off  as parking lights :)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 05:57:37 AM »
IMHO the standard yellow city lights just vanish anyways (unless your close up) with any sort of bright white headlight

They don't on mine... but that is because I had to find really bright yellow bulbs :)

Now from hundreds of feet away they merge, but at intersection distance, they are clearly visible.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 12:14:27 PM »
Where did you purchase them?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 05:00:58 AM »
Thanks, had those in my Amazon cart already.  Just was not sure about the quality, good to have a positive eval. I appreciate it.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 07:30:58 AM »
Thanks, had those in my Amazon cart already.  Just was not sure about the quality, good to have a positive eval. I appreciate it.

Top notch on those bulbs so far.  One year burning and no problems.  Super bright and efficient.  The turn signal bulbs I use as full-time running lights on front are not so fortunate, I have had two fail so far :(   But JDM sent me warranty replacements both times.  I am using them outside of the "norm" (turn signals are rarely "on") but they are standing behind their products and most interested in my feedback.

Offline KawaRobby

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 07:11:45 PM »

HID headlamps, LED City lamps and highway axillaries
"A clear conscience is often the first indication of a failing memory" unknown.