Author Topic: Haroldo_PSF's Clutch Problem Prompts the Question  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
Haroldo_PSF's Clutch Problem Prompts the Question
« on: July 25, 2017, 06:54:32 PM »
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22663.msg280856#new

Just curious, and am looking for some philosophical answers to a question and, no doubt, a smart-azz remark or three.  ;D

Mrs. E. remarked the other day that, when I owned my 2003 Honda 919 (which I sold 2 years ago for not enough money), that I didn't put NEARLY the amount of energy and maintenance and farkles that I have put into my Connie. For example, I sold it (the 919) completely stock. Never put Farkle #1 on it. Never changed out the coolant or the brake fluid <gasp>. Just rode the damn thing, other than having the plugs changed out at 14K miles. Was too lazy even to do that myself (or maybe a 12 hour work schedule had something to do with that - dunno). By contrast, I have dug into my Connie much more than I ever did my 919. And I wonder, why?

Granted, the Connie was more expensive to buy - but not by much. Even in 2003 dollars, the cost for the 919 was only about $6,000. I paid $9.5K for the Connie in 2015.

So the question:

What is it that drives people to invest time, energy, money into a motorcycle to maintain it, keep it going, be safe, etc.? Is it emotion, or something more objective than that?

If it's emotion, are we willing to recognize that and defend it? Note that I'm not denigrating that emotion - I think in some cases it defines us and makes us people who are more than willing to make a stand on a particular theme. But at which point does objectivity outweigh emotion?

As I said, just curious and interested in some viewpoints.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Haroldo_PSF's Clutch Problem Prompts the Question
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 07:23:04 PM »
What is it that drives people to invest time, energy, money into a motorcycle to maintain it, keep it going, be safe, etc.? Is it emotion, or something more objective than that?

I don't think it can be neatly categorized, but I will try.  Maintenance-wise, some people are OCD to the maximum about maintenance (one of my friends is like that), thinking it makes any real difference and it "runs better" to replace things even under the factory recommendations (which are often insanely low).   Other people don't do hardly a damn thing and roll the dice.  Others, like me, fall in the middle, trying to guess what is really needed and what isn't and doing what seems reasonable.

Farkle-wise, some people want to make their ride something more unique and interesting (and I can relate to that somewhat, or at least understand it).  Others have specific issues that need solving, often for fit or comfort or convenience (I can really relate to that).  And there are those who are concerned about safety (I can really, really relate to that).  There are other factors, and all can be mixed up and combined.  I think some bikes lend themselves more to farkling than others- most likely because some models have lots of aftermarket options and choices and others don't.  The Concours has a market of people who generally HAVE money and are willing to spend it.  We are generally experienced and know what we want, and we like holding onto things.  The Concours has been around a loooong time, which also helps to attract aftermarket equipment because it is a good investment to make something for a model that is going to be around a long time.

And ultimately, the happier you are with what you have, the more likely you are going to want to take care of it so it will last... and the more likely you are willing to invest in things that make it even better.

That's my take on it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 07:39:05 PM »
And now the epicness that is Haroldo starts. He inspires new threads. The original threads will be millions of posts long. People will have to quit their jobs, get divorced, lose all that is meaningful to them, or was, to devote the time and resources needed to follow Haroldo on his adventures.....

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:  Not really of course, and Haroldo knows this is all in good fun and we all love him. Really. And Haroldo's famous (infamous?) 'valve adjust thread' was epic... we coulda' sold tickets to that thing. Ah, the good ole' days.

But in serious answer to your question: mostly we modify our bikes for comfort, convenience, and some performance (I say some because it is absolutely not all about simply increasing speed or quickness but truly increasing things such as driveability, suspension performance, etc.). I think the reason it is done with motorcycles more than cars is because we can adapt ourselves to cars much more readily and much better; motorcycles demand a pretty strict seating position, so to change comfort, one has to change saddles, peg height, etc., etc. In a car, we just shift position.

I think bike models such as tourers, sport tourers and similar get farkled more because they are usually ridden more but especially further than other types. Not many sport bikes around with, say, 40K miles on then and especially not 90K + but that is not at all uncommon for C-14's, FJR's, OldWings (Hondapotamuses), etc.

The emotional part is actually much smaller IMO. Some people get custom paint, pinstriping, custom wheels, external lighting and so forth but look at the ratios: it seems that for every set of custom wheels on a C-14, there are 1,000 aftermarket saddles purchased. So I think the great majority of mods. fall into the comfort category. Convenience next, then all performance mods. third (although if those include headlights, horns, engine running mods., etc., then maybe overall performance would be second and convenience third).

Anyway, that is basically my view. Hey, it was free, right?  ;D

Brian

Just curious, and am looking for some philosophical answers to a question and, no doubt, a smart-azz remark or three.  ;D

Mrs. E. remarked the other day that, when I owned my 2003 Honda 919 (which I sold 2 years ago for not enough money), that I didn't put NEARLY the amount of energy and maintenance and farkles that I have put into my Connie. For example, I sold it (the 919) completely stock. Never put Farkle #1 on it. Never changed out the coolant or the brake fluid <gasp>. Just rode the damn thing, other than having the plugs changed out at 14K miles. Was too lazy even to do that myself (or maybe a 12 hour work schedule had something to do with that - dunno). By contrast, I have dug into my Connie much more than I ever did my 919. And I wonder, why?

Granted, the Connie was more expensive to buy - but not by much. Even in 2003 dollars, the cost for the 919 was only about $6,000. I paid $9.5K for the Connie in 2015.

So the question:

If it's emotion, are we willing to recognize that and defend it? Note that I'm not denigrating that emotion - I think in some cases it defines us and makes us people who are more than willing to make a stand on a particular theme. But at which point does objectivity outweigh emotion?

As I said, just curious and interested in some viewpoints.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 04:55:40 AM »
I don't want to break down, and I want to protect my investment. That's why I work on my bike.
I do mod it for extra power and comfort, but that's what this bike is all about!
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 05:19:18 AM »

What was clear for me at a very early age was that I like to tinker/tweak/improve mechanical devices.  Give me something that's perfectly functional and I will find something about it that could be made just a little bit better (or just different).  I was the kid that got a new bicycle for a B-day present and the next day would have turned it into a completely different thing altogether, just because I could.  I destroyed my share of BMX bikes in the 70's so knowing how to turn a wrench was a necessary skill.  I did it to bikes with coaster brakes and 10 speed Schwinns.

Then I did the same with my cars and trucks.  Just little things really.  Bolt-on-performance for the most part.  I would have loved to get in really deep with things like motor "improvements" but I had to choose between raising my children (flesh and blood) and adopting other mechanical children (metal and oil).  I would have been the guy that disappeared into the garage only to emerge days later squinting at the sunlight wondering what day it was.  I don't regret my choice (much) because my kids turned into gearheads anyway.

Then I re-discovered motorcycles after being away for nearly 2 decades.  With the Concours it is a combination of emotion, improved functionality, and a simple answer to boredom.  Thank God I don't have a garage - it would be stuffed with motorcycles in various states of dis-repair and I would be in some sort of "recovery" program.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 06:48:47 AM »
When I'm not working at my job, or working on the honey do list or playing, I'm tinkering with my bikes. I like machines and motorcycles for me are the most personal and rewarding machines. The only thing I've ever had the dealer do on any of my bikes was to adjust the valves on my C14. None of the other bikes have ever been to a dealer since new. So yes I maintain and farkle because I can.

Offline clogan

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 01:13:46 PM »
I am guilty of having extreme modification disorder (excess farles) with respect to all of my vehicles, especially my bikes. However, my F-150 does still have the stock paint. (But not tires, wheels, engine, drive train, interior, or bed.)

The one exception is my old, '06 Chevy that I bought brand new. It is still factory stock, just like it rolled off the line at Bowling Green.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400