Author Topic: Fob issue  (Read 5499 times)

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Fob issue
« on: August 05, 2017, 07:01:56 AM »
I don't start threads around here much, so you've had it pretty easy so far...
I rode to Colorado and back last week and had my low battery warning for my fob appeared on the dash. I cleared it, and put up with the red lamp until I could find a battery. Right before I stopped, it said "no fob," but I just figured the battery finally failed.
I replaced it, no problem and carried on. Then on the ride home a few days later the No Fob warning came on suddenly. Every once and a while it would go off, then come back on. The fob was sitting in my tank bag, like normal. I suppose I'll check the connections at the fob battery, but kinda doubt I'll see anything. It was clean when I put it in there...
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Fob issue
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 07:24:02 AM »
Could be that something you are carrying is interfering with the signal.  We have had posts of that type of thing before.  Cell phone, bluetooth, FM, FRS, etc.  We have also had situations of powerful signals in the environment that can mask the fob, cell tower, overhead lines, alarm systems, ham radio, stuff like that, although it is pretty rare.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 07:29:29 AM »
Depending on where you bought your new battery, maybe you got a stale one? I've read that you should only buy batteries like this from high volume places like CVS, Wal-Mart etc. and that sometimes the dollar type stores pick up bulk stocks of them that have been warehoused. I always look at the "good through" date on the pack and try to find one that  would be good for several years from purchase. Of course I plan to use it right then. I used to use a lot of these in radio control dog collars and found the ones at Dollar General to have a relatively short life.

Also there have been some reports of "invisible" corrosion on the battery contacts. Wouldn't hurt  to gently clean those. Good luck.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 07:34:58 AM »
I have not had that issue myself but it seems that others who have had it have also had trouble 'clearing' it. Not sure why but the system does not seem to respond immediately to a new battery.

The low battery warning is a feature and correct, the lingering warning is a quirk.

An absolutely free guess: often the way these errors are writing in code is to test for them and then do a running average of, say, 20 iterations. It would work like this: 20 cells are set up, and everytime the fob signal is read, a 'rating' is stored in the next cell (starting with cell 0 and moving up). As things work, sometimes a battery will test weak, sometimes not and the only way to really gauge it is with an average and the logic that as the voltage declines, the instances of a weak test will increase. So every instance goes into cell 0, and pushes all the others to the next cell, with cell 19 being discarded. When some number of times, or percentage of cells, reads weak, the system calls the battery weak. Maybe this is 10 out of 20, maybe it is 15 out of 20 but no matter, a battery just starting to weaken will not trip the system.

Now, given this, a fresh battery will also not wipe out all of the weak instances or reset the average. So if a new battery yields the occasional weak reading (this would be normal), and the block is filled with 'weak' ratings, the new battery even producing 5% weak signals may still trip the system due to averaging for a while after replacement.

That is my theory, it is in common use in RT programming, and it was free and it may not be what is happening at all. ??

That whole thing was sorta' like explaining an electoral vote, huh? Shiver me timbers!

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 07:36:14 AM »
Wow, three answers in just over 30 minutes. Not bad and makes the forum a great value considering the cost of membership. You get an 'Easy Boys!' in there and I would consider the whole thread a success.

;) :D

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 08:20:20 AM »
Wow, three answers in just over 30 minutes. Not bad and makes the forum a great value considering the cost of membership. You get an 'Easy Boys!' in there and I would consider the whole thread a success.

Brian
Not bad at all! I'll be sure and post the outcome.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 10:34:13 AM »
My guess is faulty replacement battery   ;)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 12:02:12 PM »

Brian
Can we take it off the rails now?  8)

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 12:30:01 PM »
I was using a radar detector that is also a GPS unit. A Passport IQ, I think it's called.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 01:01:49 PM »
I was using a radar detector that is also a GPS unit. A Passport IQ, I think it's called.

Well, GPS is just passive.  But a radar detector isn't quite as passive as one might think (which is why there are radar detector detectors......  welcome to VA).  Still, it is very unlikely that would be the cause, but it isn't a zero possibility.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 03:48:54 PM »
Just wait a while and continue to use the bike and I bet all is well.

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 03:50:26 PM »
? ?? ??

Not following this one Gary.

Brian

Can we take it off the rails now?  8)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 09:18:30 PM »
? ?? ??

Not following this one Gary.

LOL- I didn't either, just elected not to say anything :)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 06:27:13 AM »

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 03:08:35 PM »
I removed the detector and pushed in the knob without issue today.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2017, 04:16:57 PM »
Did the warning display start when you installed the radar detector, or had the detector been in place for some time before the low batt. warning showed up.

You did not mention a radar detector in your first post so I am curious as to the timing of the installation of the radar detector and the bike's display issue.

Brian

I removed the detector and pushed in the knob without issue today.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 09:44:19 AM »
The bike had the low fob battery warning from the start. The detector was also on the entire time. The No fob warning first appeared about 2 hours into the ride.
The new battery solved it for almost 1,000 miles, then said no fob the last 100 miles home.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 10:00:11 AM »
I've seen a low fob battery warning intermittently.  But it's pretty rare. That it was showing a low battery condition was kind of odd, because it was pretty fresh, I thought...

Offline clogan

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 12:54:34 PM »
I keep my fob in the glove box. Also in the glove box is a tire guage, ink pen, sun glasses, and a rolled up USB charger cable for my phone. Even though my bike always fires up normally, later while riding I often get "No Fob" warnings, and find that if I move/remove the USB cable from the glove box, the warning does not reappear. I suspect some sort of interference caused by the cable. I have decided that it is easier to just ignore the warnings.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2017, 02:12:35 PM »
I keep my fob in the glove box. Also in the glove box is a tire guage, ink pen, sun glasses, and a rolled up USB charger cable for my phone. Even though my bike always fires up normally, later while riding I often get "No Fob" warnings, and find that if I move/remove the USB cable from the glove box, the warning does not reappear. I suspect some sort of interference caused by the cable. I have decided that it is easier to just ignore the warnings.
Not only does it take over the display, and I like to know what the temp is, but it also puts a blinding red lamp in my face! :o