Author Topic: Howling noise at 75-80 mph (not wind) '09 ABS with 39k miles running synthetic  (Read 10124 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Thanks Max.  I DID install a solid state flasher and put LEDs in the rear signals.  In fact, today, I just installed the switchback dry/turnsignal lights in the front.  Gonna convert the rears to tail/brake/signals next...

I think it has something to do with leakback through ground.  I just know it is scary as hell when it happens, and doesn't look like it can be good for the bike.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jonathan

That happens with certain electrical add-on accessories, like LED lighting on the turn signals.  On mine, it will go crazy if I have any flasher operating (or maybe just the emergency flashers) when the ignition is turned off.

It happens with both the 4-ways and the turn signal. I just got in the habit of turning them off before the ignition. Kind of like a shutdown checklist.

Offline rcannon409

I tried to run a signal cancel device. The Kisan unit. The company would not stand behind a defective unit...

It actually worked, for about 15 minutes, but thats not even the point....

When I installed it, I turned my bike to the start position, and the electronic system freaked out. I had flashing, beeping, completely out of control.

I came back in and googled the issue.  Someone had made  a post, from years earlier, and mentioned pulling the KIPASS talk back fuse.  I pulled this fuse, and everything was normal again. That thread is right here:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=5174.15

Offline AZ-ZG

Sorry for the delay. I blame Irma as I now have electricity again.   :o

Rubber_Snake I asked if it was a new noise because mine has had a gear whine noise since day one.

Me, 2009 ABS with 122,000 miles.   :)

I hear it when cruising, steady throttle, at 75 to 80.  Full face helmet and ear plugs.
Seems to come from the output shaft area just in front of my left ankle.

The rare times without earplugs riding, think grocery store to gas station, first gear has a good "spooling up" sound.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it bothers you. IMO    8)

Others may say pull the final drive and moly paste the :censored: out of everything. 

Winter is coming if you need a project.   :chugbeer:
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
Sorry for the delay. I blame Irma as I now have electricity again.   :o

Rubber_Snake I asked if it was a new noise because mine has had a gear whine noise since day one.

Me, 2009 ABS with 122,000 miles.   :)

I hear it when cruising, steady throttle, at 75 to 80.  Full face helmet and ear plugs.
Seems to come from the output shaft area just in front of my left ankle.

The rare times without earplugs riding, think grocery store to gas station, first gear has a good "spooling up" sound.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it bothers you. IMO    8)

Others may say pull the final drive and moly paste the :censored: out of everything. 

Winter is coming if you need a project.   :chugbeer:

You know, you might be right about this.  I'm thinking that I will pull the final drive and moly paste the  :censored: out of it!  I can't find the Honda 60 stuff online.  I think they do not produce it anymore.  Is the Honda M-77 a good replacement?

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 10:37:01 AM by Rubber_Snake »
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Any moly paste with at least 50% solid content will work; the newer Honda stuff is fine but expensive. The old Honda moly paste was the bargain of the century but it is no longer available.

There are other sources as well, such as Loctite, which are also fine to use.

Brian

You know, you might be right about this.  I'm thinking that I will pull the final drive and moly past the  :censored: out of it!  I can't find the Honda 60 stuff online.  I think they do not produce it anymore.  Is the Honda M-77 a good replacement?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline rcannon409

I'll bet that newer Honda stuff would be fine, but if I were making a special order to get it, I would order this, instead...why not use the best after all the labor involved?  The dow corning 77 was VERY similar to the old Honda stuff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOW-CORNING-MOLYKOTE-M77-Paste-Grease-Lubricant-Lube-oz-Silicone-Oil-Moly-MoS2-/281006528716

Notice how small the container is. Maybe get two of them?