Author Topic: 227.6 miles  (Read 10008 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: 227.6 miles
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 04:02:20 PM »
Yup mine ran out of gas with estimated range of 14mi on the dash the first week I had it, had to hoof it a mile in leather soles. I've been thinking about mounting a liter fuel bottle in one of the saddlebags but I'll probably have to run out of gas again before I get around to it.

http://www.thetooltube.com/ToolTube.html

Get buying!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2017, 10:45:00 PM »
We have AAA, but one package below the motorcycle towing package. I was talking about upgrading to that, but have not done it yet.

I think ya just need the 'bring me some gas' package, which is the base package isn't it?

I think I pay $55 a year, and man I literally use it all the time these days. I've been traveling a LOT for work this year, and every hotel call I ask if they offer a AAA discount, and prob 98% say yes, and prob 75% of them it's 10%. Pays for itself very quickly like that. Oh, I also use it to rent cars.

I don't work for AAA  ;D I just think that at $55/ yr it's pretty easy for it to pay for itself ... cheap insurance.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2017, 10:47:21 PM »
Yup mine ran out of gas with estimated range of 14mi on the dash the first week I had it, had to hoof it a mile in leather soles. I've been thinking about mounting a liter fuel bottle in one of the saddlebags but I'll probably have to run out of gas again before I get around to it.

A liter ... so 34 ounces = about a quart. At 40 mpg that'll get ya 10 miles down the road. Is that enough? OK, OK, better than NOT getting 10 miles down the road. But still, enough?

Offline roy826

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2017, 06:18:33 AM »

I have a 1 gal Rotopax jug with mount left over from my Super Tenere days. Wouldn't take to much creativity to mount it to the rear luggage rack if I was to do away with the OEM top box mount there now.

I bought the Rotopax for out west riding on the Tenere but turned out the big Yamaha got very good mileage and the KTMs riding with me needed my Rotopax more than I did  ;D
2012 Concours 14

Offline roy826

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2017, 06:20:29 AM »
I think ya just need the 'bring me some gas' package, which is the base package isn't it?

I think I pay $55 a year, and man I literally use it all the time these days. I've been traveling a LOT for work this year, and every hotel call I ask if they offer a AAA discount, and prob 98% say yes, and prob 75% of them it's 10%. Pays for itself very quickly like that. Oh, I also use it to rent cars.

I don't work for AAA  ;D I just think that at $55/ yr it's pretty easy for it to pay for itself ... cheap insurance.

AMA membership for a year is $49 for a year and comes with way more than them bringing you some gas when you run out.
2012 Concours 14

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2017, 09:47:14 AM »
Basic AAA will not support motorcycles. Funny thing but if you have AAA and run out of fuel.... in an auto, they will bring fuel. But if you run out of fuel on a motorcycle, they will not bring you fuel. Because you do not have the motorcycle service package.

But even better is the 'slots' they sell: to get motorcycle service, you need to buy the RV service package (of course, what else would it be?  :o ). I  guess that was easier than calling it Tier 1, Tier 2 and so forth regarding support. But the RV package is a rider on top of the regular package.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2017, 09:51:43 AM »
It is if you are in a fairly densely populated community with fuel stations all over the place. Montana, on the other hand, is not the best place for an extra quart of fuel. Especially since stopping and pouring the bottle into the tank and then getting back into riding mode will only give the bear a chance to get a good whiff of what he now thinks of as "dinner" (remember, they think sweat is a basting sauce). Making him follow you 10 miles will only make him hungrier and a little cranky. Better to take at least 3 gallons with you if riding through the great, open spaces west of the Mississippi and east of the 'left' coast IMO.

Brian

A liter ... so 34 ounces = about a quart. At 40 mpg that'll get ya 10 miles down the road. Is that enough? OK, OK, better than NOT getting 10 miles down the road. But still, enough?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2017, 01:21:19 PM »

Would have worked great for me!  ;-)
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2017, 01:24:54 PM »
He says from the comfort of his 'bear- free' part of America.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Brian

Would have worked great for me!  ;-)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2017, 01:28:58 PM »
He says from the comfort of his 'bear- free' part of America.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Brian

We have bears! According to a quick Google search:
The only species of bears in California and Nevada are black bears. However, they do range in color from blonde to black, with cinnamon brown being the most common color in both states. There are an estimated 25,000 to 35,000 black bears in California and 200 to 300 In Nevada. Black bears normally avoid humans.

They don't come down to the Central Valley where I live, but I wasn't in the Central Valley last weekend!
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2017, 07:26:03 PM »
Well, OK but those are Mary Jane Tinklepants versions of bears. Real bears are brown or white with a special call- out to Kodiak bear. All are aggressive far beyond a black beak.

And now for the bear joke:

One day, a family was entering a US National Park and the Ranger had to give them a briefing on relatively high bear activity in the area of late, as well as passing out some bear protection devices: he said the first thing was to identify the species of bear in the area, basically done by examining the bear 'sign': black bear sign is very small pellets, while brown bear sign is much larger pieces. He handed all the people a bell to put around their necks so they would not surprise any bears, as well as bear spray (particularly potent pepper spray) to stop bear attacks. He then went back to the bear sign, saying that brown bear sign often contained bells and smelled like pepper spray.

The moral of the story is black bears are 'almost' bears while brown (two species, western brown bear, sometimes called Grizzly, and Kodiak bear, like western brown bear but larger and more aggressive) are 'real' bears and are the baddest S.O.B.'s in the valley, as the saying goes.

Brian

We have bears! According to a quick Google search:
They don't come down to the Central Valley where I live, but I wasn't in the Central Valley last weekend!

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2017, 11:29:53 AM »
Well, OK but those are Mary Jane Tinklepants versions of bears.

The moral of the story is black bears are 'almost' bears....

These must have all been mis-identified bears. Still, what's up with that one in New Jersey?
It would appear that they're safer south of the northern U.S. border. There were no fatalities in California on the list, probably the bears respecting the California flag. OH, wait that's a Grizzly Bear on the California flag...hmmmm.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2017, 11:37:21 AM »
I still say Koala bears are more dangerous, you can catch Chlamydia from them ;)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2017, 04:46:48 PM »
I still say Koala bears are more dangerous, you can catch Chlamydia from them ;)
Isn't that illegal over there?

Offline roy826

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2017, 07:26:57 AM »
I've decided I like the extra gallon of gas instead of the wobbly oem top case. I added my rotopax last night.

2012 Concours 14

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2017, 09:07:50 AM »
A lot of the run- in's with black bears are the result of our environments overlapping. Or, I guess more correctly, humans invading just about everywhere. Black bears are spread across far more of the US than brown bears, and so mingle with people more as a result. As they 'adapt' to our invasion, they start to think of things such as dumpsters as 'their' sources of food and 'defend' them against the humans who go near them. Same thing around towns, even some very remote ones.

Brown bears do not mingle with people or our environments either very much or not at all. Our clashes with them are almost exclusively in their environment; the wild.

The big difference is that it seems most black bears not de- sensitized to humans would just as soon go the other way, or view humans with more curiosity than anything else. Brown bears may go the other way also but more often than black bears, they will actually stalk and attack humans directly and without provocation.

Also, as I live in the northeast, black bears are <relatively> small compared with browns (not found in this area but those found in their native habitats). Not to imply that a 250 lb. black bear is not a menace to humans, but that it is far less of a menace than a 1,200 lb. brown bear. And Kodiak bear seem especially aggressive toward humans. Probably the result of being the apex predictor and living in an area where the animal can dominate virtually everything in its surroundings; this is not true of a black bear where they coexist with elk and especially, moose.

So given a choice to run out of fuel w/in smelling distance of a bear, I would pick a black bear every-time. Not saying it is desirable ("Oh boy, I thought this was going to be a boring walk but here is a black bear to entertain me and provide interest"), just that it is much less undesirable than a brown IMO. You have to remember, I live in a pretty Mary Jane Tinklepants part of the world: there is not much out there that is really dangerous to humans in my neck of the woods, literally. We can walk around / camp in the woods with very little risk of harm; no poisonous snakes (supposed to be rattlesnakes here but no one has ever seen one....), no big, evil animals (two black bear in RI, and one is wearing dentures and uses a cane I think), not even the dreaded black flies of Maine here. So when out on the highway in the middle of Montana, in the middle of the night, I have wondered just what was wandering around those woods and if I would get to meet it if I got disabled, 'cause I think there is some lethal stuff in those woods..... and a brown bear would be way up on my list of things I would rather not find that way.

Brian

These must have all been mis-identified bears. Still, what's up with that one in New Jersey?
It would appear that they're safer south of the northern U.S. border. There were no fatalities in California on the list, probably the bears respecting the California flag. OH, wait that's a Grizzly Bear on the California flag...hmmmm.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2017, 11:04:15 AM »
I've decided I like the extra gallon of gas instead of the wobbly oem top case. I added my rotopax last night.

Hey- that's pretty neat.  Don't like it being red, though.  Would it be "wrong" to use plastic spray paint and paint it black?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tonedeaf1

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2017, 09:19:51 PM »
I have only come close once in all my years of riding and I am glad it was on a bike with an instantaneous mpg reading. I think the best approach is to do whatever you can to keep the instantaneous number as high as possible: adjust your speed, adjust the windscreen and your riding position and pull in the clutch if you have to in order to avoid any engine braking. Maximizing MPG if obviously what you are trying to achieve.

PS, my close call came from misreading the distance to the next town with gas.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2017, 11:57:22 PM »
Hey- that's pretty neat.  Don't like it being red, though.  Would it be "wrong" to use plastic spray paint and paint it black?

It is neat but whats to stop anyone pinching the fuel from it?

Ok the tank itself is locked to the bike but is the filler cap lockable?

Hmmm mind you it's got me thinking.

A top box with a custom fitted fuel cell in all or part of the lower half leaving room for some smaller items on top
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2017, 05:48:45 AM »
A top box with a custom fitted fuel cell in all or part of the lower half leaving room for some smaller items on top

That is an interesting idea.  But not if it has to be red...