Author Topic: no front brakes.....need some help  (Read 3522 times)

Offline stepink104

no front brakes.....need some help
« on: September 04, 2017, 07:43:27 PM »
guys..small mishap in garage,,,long story short bike was dropped on right side while a tire was being changed..after I got tire on I have discovered I must squeeze front brake lever several times till I have brake..2008 with abs....seen no damage to master cylinder and no leaks on floor or rims anywhere,,,i decided maybe time to change fluid...did this on bike before never had problem.

bled brakes and pump lever and have full brake,,let go of brake and several seconds later...NOTHING...any ideas...

Ken

Offline kzz1king

Re: no front brakes.....need some help
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 08:22:25 PM »
Did it do this after the accident BEFORE you bled the brakes?  I think you need to bleed them again.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 08:52:03 PM »
Bleed, bleed, bleed
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Freddy

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 09:07:02 PM »
Bent disc. 
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 05:06:42 AM »
Very possibly..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 06:13:04 AM »
Bent disc.

Yeah, that could push the pads back in.  But if the rotor were bent the brakes would pulse horribly... no mention of that.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 06:29:07 AM »
pinched brake line from fall?

Offline smokin

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 09:30:49 AM »
Air in system,keep bleeding.Recommend Murphs,speed bleeders.One man successful operation.
SONS OF ARTHRITIS RIDE HARD MEDICATE OFTEN.

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 11:53:07 AM »
Air in system,keep bleeding.Recommend Murphs,speed bleeders.One man successful operation.

+1 on Speed Bleeder. I will have fresh brake fluid in the system after every tire change now because it's crazy easy to bleed.

guys..small mishap in garage,,,long story short bike was dropped on right side while a tire was being changed..after I got tire on I have discovered I must squeeze front brake lever several times till I have brake..2008 with abs....seen no damage to master cylinder and no leaks on floor or rims anywhere,,,i decided maybe time to change fluid...did this on bike before never had problem.

bled brakes and pump lever and have full brake,,let go of brake and several seconds later...NOTHING...any ideas...

Ken

If the brake front brake lever struck the ground it could have damaged the internal piston somehow?  Maybe?  No fluid leaking from that area?

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 01:02:19 PM »
If it only goes away when you roll it, it's the rotor. If it goes away sitting still, it's air in the system.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 02:19:41 PM »

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 08:20:34 PM »
Couple of things You can do to diagnose things. First take a small piece of scrap steel, approximately the same thickness as the rotor, remove the suspected caliper and slide the scrap steel between the pads in the same spot the rotor sits. Use a zip tie or some wire to hang the caliper in a way that the hoses aren't stressed, and pump the brake until the pads clamp the steel. If the symptom is gone, then the rotor is springing the pads back into the caliper bore.

Another thing You can do requires a dial indicator. Clamp or bolt the indicator on the lower fork, and do a runout check on the rotor. Specs should be in the service manual.

This guy has a good video

https://youtu.be/2GaYqJYhCB0
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 03:20:18 PM »

Ken

Sooooo.  Anybody else feel like they're talking to themselves?  What's up Ken?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 04:08:59 PM »
Usually we see this as a user's first post, on the day the user joined the forum. But this gentleman joined in March and did not post until Sep.. ? Maybe he got his answer.

A lot more people read forums than post to them so maybe the silence is the norm. and the one post was the oddity?

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 08:31:49 PM »
Hey guys, I dropped my bike and now it's broken.  First post!
Hard to come back, no matter how bad you try to help.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 01:54:34 AM »
pinched brake line from fall?
Stick to your keyboard. You suck at diagnosis. Lol!

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2017, 01:57:12 AM »
Couple of things You can do to diagnose things. First take a small piece of scrap steel, approximately the same thickness as the rotor, remove the suspected caliper and slide the scrap steel between the pads in the same spot the rotor sits. Use a zip tie or some wire to hang the caliper in a way that the hoses aren't stressed, and pump the brake until the pads clamp the steel. If the symptom is gone, then the rotor is springing the pads back into the caliper bore.

Another thing You can do requires a dial indicator. Clamp or bolt the indicator on the lower fork, and do a runout check on the rotor. Specs should be in the service manual.

This guy has a good video

https://youtu.be/2GaYqJYhCB0
  You too.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2017, 06:53:28 AM »
freakin' harley riders....

Offline clogan

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2017, 06:43:27 PM »
If the fall caused contact to one of the rotors, it is at least possible that that rotor was damaged, or warped. As a wheel rotates, the warped rotor pushes the calipers back apart, drastically reducing, or eliminating, braking ability in that wheel. 

I know this because I did the same thing myself. It was VERY surprising how easily the rotors could be damaged. I warped a rotor while breaking a bead in order to change a tire. Cost me big bucks for a new set of front rotors. I learned a very expensive lesson. Heres hoping the OP's problem can be fixed with less expense.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400