Author Topic: Flash to Open (Garage Door Opener)  (Read 2609 times)

Offline mikeeitup

Flash to Open (Garage Door Opener)
« on: October 04, 2017, 04:55:29 PM »
I bought it and installed the receiver without any issues but now I am working on installing the transponder to the bike. I am trying to hook the two wires to the HI (beam) headlight fuze block wires under the seat. I attached one side to the white (black stripe) wire and one to the big red wire. It's not working. Anybody else has any ideas/better install ideas? I'm all ears!
Mike
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:25:49 PM by mikeeitup »
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Flash to Open (Garage Door Opener)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 05:43:25 PM »
I don't think that will work if I'm reading the wiring diagram correctly. It appears that all you've done is bypass the fuse and both wires would be hooked up to 12v+. In addition, even if you hooked one wire up to a typical ground wire, then it (transponder) would be on all the time because the wires that you tapped into feed the Headlight high beam relay not the headlight bulb. I suggest that you tap into the White with Red stripe wire coming out of the Hi Beam headlight relay for the 12v+ connection, and any Black with yellow stripe wire you can find for the ground connection. The head light high beam relay is located under the top cover sitting on top of the gas tank (three screws holding it down). (there are four relays there, make sure you have the correct one) or you can just go straight to the wires coming out of the headlight as the instruction online video shows, but I hate working down there in the dark where your own arm and hand constantly block your light and your view.
I'd tap in at the relay up top. Good Luck!
Might want to wait for someone else to chime in, as I'm not always as smart as I think I am.  ::)

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 05:49:36 PM »
Hey you're 100% right I have to tap into the relay. I have a 2012 model so the relay is under the black tank cover.  Now I THINK I have to tap the white (red stripe) wire and the black (yellow stripe) wire to get the hi beam tapped. Am I right?
Mike
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 06:01:59 PM »
I have a 2012 model so the relay is under the black tank cover.  Now I THINK I have to tap the white (red stripe) wire and the black (yellow stripe) wire to get the hi beam tapped. Am I right?
Mike

I think you are.
 Watch those black plastic washers under the 3 screws on the cover they like to go hiding in the nearest dark corner of the garage, unless they can talk you into dropping them into the fairing.

edit add: ...and it won't work until you at least bump the starter button to get the headlights on....just in case you're in the garage trying to test it.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 10:01:00 AM »
So Mike, I've been checking here and there and I can't tell
if you are still stuck in the garage or if you got it to work?

Should we send help?  ???

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 10:16:40 AM »
Funny you should ask but the freak of nature I am, I managed to lose one end of my last positap and could not finish my connections! ANyway as an update. The aforementioned wires did not work and I reorder more positaps which just arrived about 20 min ago. Now I gotta dig deep and figure out which ones are the right damn color wire combo! hahahaha
Mike

HALP IM LOOSING MY MIND
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 06:02:24 PM »
..... The aforementioned wires did not work......

Assuming you mean the White w/red stripe and Black with Yellow stripe, then I'm totally lost, as those should work. In the photos below you can see I've a positap on my White w/red stripe wire going to my Denali lights so they come on with the high beam. It works well. (sorry about all the dirt and other wires)
 Have you tried just attaching the transmitter to a 12v battery to make sure it's working by itself? (Yeah you probably did that already.)

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 07:19:14 PM »
I contacted customer support to ask if that's okay but I don't see why that wouldn't work as a test. So I'm gonna try that. IF that works then I'm stumped as well because I spent a half an hour looking at the diagram and that makes sense. My next step is to say F*** it and tap all the wires in combo order until it works haha
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 07:20:34 PM »
Oh, and thanks for the pictures! I appreciate your help =)
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 07:52:03 PM »
WELLLLLL guess what!? The white and red stripe wire and black yellow wire ARE CORRECT. One of my positaps was broken inside and wasn't making a connection. SO... thank you for your help! I really appreciate your patience!
Mike
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 10:45:32 PM »
The white and red stripe wire and black yellow wire ARE CORRECT.

Cool,...safe travels.