Author Topic: How many are using their phone for Navigation?  (Read 5066 times)

Offline eng943

How many are using their phone for Navigation?
« on: October 19, 2017, 03:49:06 PM »
Just wondering how many of you use a smart phone for nav in place of a dedicated nav? If so, any pitfalls, and what mounts did you use?
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: How many are using their phone for Navigation?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 04:04:57 PM »
Funny you should ask that.
First read this:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=10610.msg283881#msg283881

And I will quote some: 

"I bought a RAM X Grip mount for my phone (which is excellent) but using a phone is horrible...  no physical buttons, capacitive touchscreen is almost unusable no matter how I apply conductive thread to the glove fingers, has no autonomous mapping, has no SD card so I can't carry any more music than the old Zumo, there is no way to keep it "on", is not at all weather resistant, the volume controls are not accessible while in the mount, and the screen is nowhere near as bright."

I am still experimenting- just today I discovered "Android Auto" and installed it and that looks like it will fix:

* Keeping the screen on when charging.
* Changing the interface to use larger fonts and less detail.
* Changing maps to make it more like a GPS- more visible roads, less suggestion/ad-crap.
* Easier menu for switching between music, notifications, and maps, the three things you want from a dedicated head unit.
* Integration with third-party local music apps.
* Larger dialogs.
* Auto-reply option for texts.
* Ability to use headset to control phone when screen is on (normally this isn't possible because the phone switches into a more visual mode and doesn't help much).  I haven't tested this part yet.

Now, I haven't actually USED it like this yet, but I have my fingers crossed.  There are still a myriad of issues- like what happens when you have no data connection, no easily accessible hardware volume buttons, issues with gloves, contrast/brightness, how screwed I am if the sucker falls off the bike, etc.  But I am NOT going to drop $600+ on a new model Garmin device that now has dreadful reviews.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 04:52:42 PM »
WAZE always! and  my Zumo665 with XM radio I got used from Ebay for cheap.
  I never go anywhere without running WAZE
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 05:51:27 PM »
Additional info: I have a Nexus 5; pretty old now (wow- almost 3 years) but still works great.  I will try to remember to take and post photos of it and the X Grip mount next time I use them.

Also, although the conductive thread did work fairly good for my left index finger, the biggest problem I had using the phone with maps was trying to zoom in/out, which requires the "pinch" gesture.  That is exceedingly difficult with gloves, on a 5" screen, while driving, even without the issues of it being a capacitive screen.    LOL!  I just researched that and you can alternatively zoom by double tapping then drag, just tested it and it works- learn something new every day.  Hmmm.

As for Waze-  Google Maps does include traffic data, and [at least on the non-Android-Auto incarnation of Maps] somehow includes Waze's data (crash info, etc).  Not quite sure how they are doing that unless they are paying Waze for it.  I am used to not having traffic data on the bike or the car (just GPS), so I always check my route in Google Maps on my computer or phone before leaving.  But this hasn't worked out so well with the traffic around here on many occasions.  Anyway, it appears that if you want the full Waze, it apparently will integrate into the Android Auto menu somehow (I have not tried, but it is offered on Play Store specifically as an add-on by Android Auto).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 08:14:49 PM »
Waze heats my phone up...Gal S7.   I use google maps.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 08:26:36 PM »
Waze heats my phone up...Gal S7.   I use google maps.

It is funny how you can feel how much power certain apps use over others.  Sometimes heat can be a problem, but usually not, other than it means if you are on battery it will suck it dry quickly.  Fortunately, using on the bike there would be a power connection, so at least that wouldn't matter much.  (Although, if you have a poor quality cable and/or charger, it is possible to run NEGATIVE if the device is running high CPU/network; that is because different cables and chargers can drop the wattage available to the phone.  I have this problem with my Nexus 10 when playing certain games, even with a good charger/cable, it can pull more power than externally supplied and the battery will be consumed a little).

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 02:12:12 AM »
I use my phone but it stays in my pocket while I'm riding.  I don't bother with blue tooth and voice Nav either.  I'm the type that just can't deal with stuff mounted every which way down there in the Handle Bar/Cluster/Windscreen area.  It gets too busy for me and I tend to get distracted by all of the tech.

I just use Google Maps, get a fix on where to point the bike and go.  Eventually I will have to pull over and take another reading but that gives me time to actually see what the hell I've been riding through.  Win Win.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 07:22:08 AM »
I just plug in a point if needed and listen to the voice commends . I don't want to be squinting at a device while riding.

quote author=Tree link=topic=22890.msg284138#msg284138 date=1508487132]
I use my phone but it stays in my pocket while I'm riding.  I don't bother with blue tooth and voice Nav either.  I'm the type that just can't deal with stuff mounted every which way down there in the Handle Bar/Cluster/Windscreen area.  It gets too busy for me and I tend to get distracted by all of the tech.

I just use Google Maps, get a fix on where to point the bike and go.  Eventually I will have to pull over and take another reading but that gives me time to actually see what the hell I've been riding through.  Win Win.
[/quote]
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 08:17:19 AM »
I use my phone with a great GPS app called OsmAnd which cost $6. The fantastic thing about OsmAnd is that you don't need cell service. When you're still connected to wifi you download to your phone maps of all the states you'll be in. It uses satellites to know where you are.

There's a free versions which has full functionality but has a download limit of something like 5 or 10 states. Living in FL I keep FL, GA and AL on the phone all the time, and when heading out of those 3 states I add the states I need. If your phone has enough storage space you could load all the states if you wanted, or just the eastern half, etc, whatever works for you. I use the "Roads Only" versions of the maps, since they're smaller files. They also have full versions of each which are of course larger files.

I like that I can use Google Earth on my PC to establish the exact routes I want to take, export those as KMZ, convert those to GPX, and save those in OsmAnd's Tracks folder on my phone ... then with OsmAnd running, turn on GPX tracks and wah-lah there's a nice red line that's your route. So far I can't get OsmAnd to navigate audibly using these GPX tracks, which is a bummer. So it's visual only. But that's worked find for many, many miles so far.

I also use Google Maps when I need to find a hotel/gas/restaurant, or if the GPX track I'm following leads to a road or bridge that's out.

So, alas, there is still no perfect GPS unit  :-\

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 03:48:53 PM »
I use my phone with a great GPS app called OsmAnd which cost $6. The fantastic thing about OsmAnd is that you don't need cell service.

There is an option in Google Maps for downloading the maps for off-line use.  It is under menu-> Offline Maps.  You can select the exact area you want to download (by zooming out/defining one or more rectangles) and it will keep the data updated automatically through wifi every month.   They had this feature in the past, but it was useless because it would expire without telling you, so you would end up without data and without maps.  Since sometime in 2017,  they FINALLY added the ability for the auto-updating, so it will always be ready to use.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en
https://www.androidauthority.com/google-maps-offline-android-637359

I like that I can use Google Earth on my PC to establish the exact routes I want to take, export those as KMZ, convert those to GPX, and save those in OsmAnd's Tracks folder on my phone ... then with OsmAnd running, turn on GPX tracks and wah-lah there's a nice red line that's your route. So far I can't get OsmAnd to navigate audibly using these GPX tracks, which is a bummer. So it's visual only. But that's worked find for many, many miles so far.

It seems the equivalent (or maybe partial equivalent) for Google Maps might be "Google My Maps":

https://www.lifewire.com/make-custom-route-on-google-maps-4126536

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 01:12:44 AM »
It seems the equivalent (or maybe partial equivalent) for Google Maps might be "Google My Maps":

https://www.lifewire.com/make-custom-route-on-google-maps-4126536

thats a really straight forward way of doing things ;)

Occasionally I use Google Maps for navigation in the van (normally if I'm already out and didn't plan on going somewhere I wasn't sure of)  but mostly I use my TomTom both on bike & in van.

Do like the way I can plan a route on my laptop via the mydrive page, save it then when I turn my TomTom on it just appears on there :)

--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 05:49:42 AM »
thats a really straight forward way of doing things ;)

It does seem a bit involved.  But hey, it is nice to know it is possible.

Offline maverick9611

• "tryin not to get old"
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 06:11:11 AM »
i have tried revere and garmin. went back to google maps. it works the best for me

Offline bigjim

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 07:55:26 AM »
I bought a Quad lock (this uses a dedicated phone case and ram ball), I use the 2" risers on the handle bars and put in a simple 1" screw in ram ball.  Once the phone is in this (Galaxy S9, supposed to be immune from rain...) it simply does NOT MOVE, one hand release and quarter turn locking into the mount.  No I do not own stock in the company...

I have used Google maps for several years since retiring my Garmins (several) and find it is getting better each revision.  On a recent trip from the Canadian border near Lake Champlain to Cedar key Fl. (car, not the C-14), it even used the same data as Waze and no heating.

Cheers!
71 DT1E 250 Enduro, 76 DT250 250 Enduro, 80 XR500, 84 XR600, 04 CRF450, 79 KZ1000,
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
Father to 3 boys, Grandfather to 5 GREAT kids

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 10:18:47 AM »
I've been using my cell phone for navigation on a ram mount for years. From that, I run a pair of wired Plugfones earphones under my helmet for non-stop music (no batteries to recharge). And since the Plugfones are like silicone ribbed earplugs, they do a great job reducing harsh noises. I can still hear horns and such but it's infinitely quieter. Really helps with fatigue on long rides. The sound clarity is really good - just a bit light on bass, but that's it.

After a few stints in heavy rain, and shorting out some cell phone chargers, I ordered a mount that wirelessly charges my phone.  It uses my existing Ram ball so it just took a few minutes to install. Here are the links from Amazon:

Plugfones:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083E7T7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Phone Mount:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088FNVGWP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Phone Mount is really secure, and the rain doesn't bother it (still charges). Plus, it's a 1-hand on and off operation, making it easy to grab my phone when I exit the bike.

Finally, I just purchased the subscription to "Rever", a motorcycle route planner/recorder that uses Google Maps for info. One thing I really liked about it is the ability to share routes, and select "twisty" roads while planning! I haven't used it on the road yet - just bought it and the weather here has been cold and dreary, but I hope to soon. I'll report back when I do.
I never ride alone...my Lord and Savior is always with me.

2016 GTR1400 Silver, Shoodaben Hammer Flash! Puig Windshield, AVT PullBack Risers, Grabon Covers, AVT Peg Lowers, Wireless Phone Ram Mount, Canyon Bars with Foot Pegs, Sheepskin Saddle cover, AST Backrest and luggage rack... More to come...
Instagram: markjamesholland

Offline jimboni

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 07:45:59 PM »
I stopped using garmin units a while back. When I was still Iron Butting I would run two at once. One for way points and search functions the other for primary routing.
Now I use an 8in galaxy tab with Magic Earth as a Nav app. Tablets like that are cheap as hell right now and way more powerful than a pricey garmin or similar.
That way I have offline maps, and can connect the tablet, my cell phone which can stay in my pocket, and my ear buds. I step down the Android apps to specific ones just for moto travel. I can hotspot into the phone if I need to. My vision isn't as good as it once was and the tablet allowed me to see the maps and route without my glasses. I did have to fill with a couple of ram elbows and what not to get the tablet low enough to clear the instruments and vertical enough to be visible in bright sunlight.

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2021, 03:07:42 PM »
I stopped using garmin units a while back. When I was still Iron Butting I would run two at once. One for way points and search functions the other for primary routing.
Now I use an 8in galaxy tab with Magic Earth as a Nav app. Tablets like that are cheap as hell right now and way more powerful than a pricey garmin or similar.
That way I have offline maps, and can connect the tablet, my cell phone which can stay in my pocket, and my ear buds. I step down the Android apps to specific ones just for moto travel. I can hotspot into the phone if I need to. My vision isn't as good as it once was and the tablet allowed me to see the maps and route without my glasses. I did have to fill with a couple of ram elbows and what not to get the tablet low enough to clear the instruments and vertical enough to be visible in bright sunlight.

Can you post some pics? Is it easy on easy off? Do you leave the tab on the bike while parked in public places?What do you do if you get stuck in the rain? Do you play videos of people riding deals gap if you're riding flat straight highway?

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2021, 06:26:20 PM »
Hi Mr. Jimboni,
I'm planning on doing the '4 Corners' when Covid gives us all a break. Just wondering if you know of any source for good planning info?
Thanks  8)

Offline jimboni

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2021, 07:59:32 PM »
Lots of good sources for routing on the iron butt web site.
You can join the forum for discussions with those that have btdt.
Have fun!

Offline Danger4u2

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2021, 12:55:44 PM »
When I bought my 2017 it came with a Garmin 595 and a Quad Lock charger/bike mount.  The 595 is ok but my zumo XT is a lot better. I like it.  Haven't tried using the phone as a GPS.  I have a 4 point Ram mount for the phone but it's a piece of junk!
I'm getting mounts for my other bikes, Quad Lock and XT.  The XT was on sale a few weeks back for $400 bucks, back to $500 now.

https://www.quadlockcase.com/

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/c/automotive/motorcycle-gps-navigation/?FILTER_FEATURE_AUTOEXTRALARGE=true
KX500 is Danger4u2