Author Topic: Mirrors  (Read 2172 times)

Offline YellowSun

Mirrors
« on: March 06, 2018, 09:26:55 PM »
Hi, I have a auestion about mirror replacement. It got really cold where I live and icicles fell from the roof hitting both my mirrors breaking the glass on both sides. I really don't want to have to spend $183.00 for a new mirror assembly for each side. Is there a way to just replace the mirror and not the whole assembly?
Thank you.

Offline FTB530

Re: Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 03:08:00 PM »
Couldn’t hurt to go to a glass shop and inquire about them cutting a mirror and recommend a adhesive.I don’t know if you can but just the OEM glass mirror anywhere!

Offline Fuller56

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 04:49:51 AM »
What I found a few years ago when I had a broken mirror glass was that the auto glass shops would cut me a mirror replacement but that it was flat mirror glass.  Several said they could not do the convex wide view mirrors.  I then went to an auto parts "You Pull it" place and got a right side truck mirror from a junker.  I was able to very carefully pry apart the Concours mirror housing, make a cardboard template of the old mirror and cut that shape out of the truck mirror, put it in place and glue the housing back together.  That worked for several years. Kind of fussy work and not exactly the same mirror view as the original but was done for, I think about $7 or so.  If you do go that route be sure to use the center area of the truck mirror rather than the edges to avoid more glass cutting.  Good Luck!  John

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 05:00:56 PM »
seeing as the OEM is a simple flat mirror, any Goodwill, or similar used stuff place would net you an adequately sized glass mirror for $2, easy peazy to cut with a glass cutter $8 at Lowes, and smooth the edges with some emery sand paper on a flat countertop... add some 3M double stick Trim attachement tape from AutoZone, and viola... done for less than $15...

lots of youtube videos to show how to safely cut glass and mirrors, it's easy once you do it once or twice...

the secret to cutting curved shapes is learning to do the Tap tap, tap on the rear surface to make the glass shape break free..cleanly...
I learned this as a kid, when I had a kit for cutting bottles for making vases and such...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQSFnk28yFY

the tap thing works better than trying to pry the boarders or edges with pliers...

https://youtu.be/RQSFnk28yFY
I've done a bunch using simple mirror tile 12x12 from Home Depot, or Lowes.

Just make sure the stuff is clean, dry, and warm before trying to stick it on...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline cbx4evr

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 07:29:34 PM »
I just went through this same broken mirror glass problem. Going to a glass shop is an option - kinda. The problem I found is that the Kawasaki mirror glass is 2mm thick and every glass shop I contacted only had 3mm mirror glass. On the back of the mirror there is a strip of weatherstripping glued around the edge to keep it from rattling in the housing. With the clearance I don’t think that you would be able to use that with the 3mm glass. At least I didn’t want to try for fear of breaking it again trying to glue the bezel back on. Suppose you could go without it. I ran an ad on a local buy/sell website and a nice guy contacted me and gave me his broken knuckle mirror from which I salvaged the glass.
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you **** your pants every now and then. "