Author Topic: The Bike Show GTR1400 Road Test  (Read 6474 times)

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
The Bike Show GTR1400 Road Test
« on: March 15, 2018, 09:31:53 PM »
I came across this new video on YouTube. I thought it was a pretty good review. Only thing is that I found all of their negatives to be positives... except for the lack of cruise control. The part I really found quite humorous was the part about muscling it thru the corners. That is all about your frame of reference. If they think you have to muscle the C-14 thru corners, they better never ride my M109R!!! Hahaha!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VdgIwdygH-s
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
Re: The Bike Show GTR1400 Road Test
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 12:00:51 AM »
that confused me.

Introduced by Brits , driving on the left but the scenery, road markings & road signs ain't British (& nether is the plate).

Ahhh that answered it towards the end, South Africa :)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 11:22:48 AM »
I have to disagree with the part where he says the fairing dumps heat right onto your legs when in traffic and in town. That has not been my experience with the Gen II '10 model I own. Most else he says seems right on the money. With the stock Bridgestone tires there is a lot of muscling involved, without a flash it can be a bit harsh, and the trials and tribulations of many finding a windshield  that works for them are well known. He seemed to like the seat but then he was just test riding, so how far did he really go? On my first trip the seat didn't reveal it's inadequacies until after 200 miles or so.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 02:20:01 PM »
It hasn't been hot out since I bought mine, so I can't really say anything about the heat. Some of the reasons I bought it were for the "brutish power", the "simplicity", and because it is more "old school." I really don't like a lot of unnecessary electronics. Ones that truly benefit by adding power, making it run better, etc are ok. I don't understand why you need throttle by wire when cables work just fine. Rider modes are also a waste. If you need the bike detuned, get a different bike. A smaller, less powerful one that you can handle. Electronic suspensions... I can twist a dial thank you!

When he says "it is definitely a physical bike to ride", I would have to disagree. It is the most "flickable" bike I own. I find the handling to be excellent! I do agree with what he says about it "holding a line" tho. I think the stock shield works just fine. I keep the vent open to the middle setting. When I want more air, I lower the shield all the way down. In cold weather, I raise it up until the wind noise dissipates. I have never had any buffeting at any speed. I also find the seat to be comfortable. I have done some 200+ mile days with no issue. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm picky about seats, but the stock seat was one of the first things that had to go on my M109. I prefer the stock seat over the Mustang I got for my Magnum (bought the Mustang so my wife would be more comfortable when we ride 2up).

Now, the cruise control comments he made, I couldn't agree with him more! They could have easily added cruise control at any point without changing anything else on the bike. It would have been HUGE!!! I know of several people I've spoke to that said they almost bought a concours, but no cruise control was a deal breaker for them.

For me, it was just like he said. The lack of electronics means less that can go wrong. The price was definitely right. $13.1k OTD including 3 year additional warranty for a total of 6 years.

I seriously hope he is wrong about this being the last of the great Japanese dinosaurs! If they are still making them, I would definitely buy another Concours in the future when I wear this one out!
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 03:52:52 PM »
It hasn't been hot out since I bought mine, so I can't really say anything about the heat.

It is a 1.4 liter engine.  It probably has no worse heat management than any other large, faired bike out there.  The 1st gen had some issues, they were dealt with in 2010 with the gen2.  I am not sure there could be much more improvement.

When he says "it is definitely a physical bike to ride", I would have to disagree. It is the most "flickable" bike I own.

I agree, except in parking lots :)  Then it is pretty physical.
Now, the cruise control comments he made, I couldn't agree with him more!

Most everyone agrees.  It is truly baffling why they resisted.

They could have easily added cruise control at any point without changing anything else on the bike.

Not really.  It is not drive-by-wire, so it wouldn't be THAT easy. Still, it is not like it would have been that difficult either.

It would have been HUGE!!! I know of several people I've spoke to that said they almost bought a concours, but no cruise control was a deal breaker for them.

They could have bought the C14, had a cruise control added, AND doubled the warranty, and still paid a lot less.... I don't think THAT should be a deciding factor, since there are options available.

For me, it was just like he said. The lack of electronics means less that can go wrong.

Well, in fairness, the C14 is now 10 years old.  When it was released, it had more "electronics" than most things out there.  But time marches on.  And, I love features and electronics, but simply discarding an analog speedometer (and sometimes odometer too) for some stupid digital number one is NOT an improvement... and that certainly has been the trend.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 05:05:18 PM »
hmm cruise control. Guess it depends where you are.

I've never really found any time for it over here even in a car as about the only time it's of any use is at 02:00 going through motorway roadworks with an average 50mph speed limit enforced by scameras ;)
--

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 05:08:02 PM »
digital v analogue clocks

I quite liked the digital speedo on my old Blackbird but then again there is something pleasurable about watching a needle sweep across the gauge.

Mind you these days there's no reason why the dash couldn't effectively be an embedded tablet which would allow the rider/driver to customise their display to their own personal preferences.
--

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 05:45:19 PM »
Mind you these days there's no reason why the dash couldn't effectively be an embedded tablet which would allow the rider/driver to customise their display to their own personal preferences.

Exactly.  Give me the choice....  I don't mind a "simulated" analog dial/widget, as long as it is fast (responds and updates very quickly).  Would love a programmable/customizable display.  Endless hours of tweaking :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 05:49:34 PM »

I agree, except in parking lots :)  Then it is pretty physical.

It still depends on your frame of reference. Compared to a light weight sport bike, maybe so.  Compared to heavy fat tire cruisers, it's not to bad!

Not really.  It is not drive-by-wire, so it wouldn't be THAT easy. Still, it is not like it would have been that difficult either.

My Magnum isn't throttle by wire and it has electronic cruise control. The Rostra cruise control doesn't require throttle by wire. Hell, even old carborated cars had cruise control without throttle by wire. It would not have been difficult to do it from the factory at all.

They could have bought the C14, had a cruise control added, AND doubled the warranty, and still paid a lot less.... I don't think THAT should be a deciding factor, since there are options available.

I told them the same thing. The ones that have told me that are not the mechanical type. They didn't even know there was such a thing as aftermarket electronic cruise control.

Well, in fairness, the C14 is now 10 years old.  When it was released, it had more "electronics" than most things out there.  But time marches on.  And, I love features and electronics, but simply discarding an analog speedometer (and sometimes odometer too) for some stupid digital number one is NOT an improvement... and that certainly has been the trend.

Well, I'm one of those that like the analog gauges and watching the needle sweep. I don't need a color touch screen to tell me how fast I'm going. Or any of the other BS electronics they keep trying to tell us we need. Any electronics I feel are useful, like a GPS, I'll add on myself. I have Bluetooth in my helmet for when I want to listen to music. Other times I just listen to that 1400 sing.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 05:52:14 PM »
Exactly.  Give me the choice....  I don't mind a "simulated" analog dial/widget, as long as it is fast (responds and updates very quickly).  Would love a programmable/customizable display.  Endless hours of tweaking :)

...until it crashes or freezes up on you!  No thanks, I'll take the analog gauges over digital any day! Even if they fail, they are cheaper and easier to repair or replace.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 07:27:32 PM »

I agree, except in parking lots :)  Then it is pretty physical

You would probably be shocked to learn that the bike is actually great at parking lot speed stuff, full lock turns, etc... it's the lousy tuning that ruins it. I'm really serious when I say it's a world class bike with third world tuning. Steve

Offline katata1100

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 08:24:38 PM »
Excess heat? Bull pucky!!!
Two summers ago, I rode my ‘11 in traffic in Phoenix when it was 114 degrees!
It was so hot that my iPhone wouldn’t work, the directions I wrote on my arm smeared from
 sweat and when I picked up wife at Sky Harper, I had to dump water on the seat so she would
not get burned.
My legs felt no more heat than any other part of me
Cruise control ? I’m also half way done on my mccruise install, I’ll report
back later.
Reliability? I have 34k miles, under original warranty, dealer replaced a fork seal, nothing
went wrong on first three years of extended warranty. This bike is by far , the most reliable,
best built,most durable that I have owned.
For years, the best built , best finished bikes were Honda and Yamaha, but kawa really stepped up
the game with the C14.
It’s a very very reliable bike that is also comfortable, can get 50mpg and offers the acceleration of an early 90’s GSX1100r race replica bike. How can anyone say “no” to that ?

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 09:29:39 AM »
You would probably be shocked to learn that the bike is actually great at parking lot speed stuff, full lock turns, etc... it's the lousy tuning that ruins it. I'm really serious when I say it's a world class bike with third world tuning. Steve
:thumbs: :thumbs:

I have found this bike to be very easy to manage in the parking lot.  Every time I take it out, I do about three lock to lock figure eights in my court before I leave.  (Granted, I have a lot of experience in slow riding, but I’m not in practice like I used to be.)

The abrupt on throttle makes it a little tough.  I’m going on a Vegas/Tombstone trip next week.  Steve, when I get back, you and I need to have a little talk....
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 10:05:17 AM »
The abrupt on throttle makes it a little tough.  I’m going on a Vegas/Tombstone trip next week.  Steve, when I get back, you and I need to have a little talk....

It is the throttle abruptness (people call it "snatch") that makes it difficult.  That is why I ended up installing a Throttle Tamer... which did help a lot.  Of course, now it is much easier to flash the problem away, while gaining lots of other really nice stuff in the process.  So although I like the Throttle Tamer, I recommend reflashing the ECU in all cases now.

I wish those C14 reviews had all been done with decent tires and a reflash....

Offline eng943

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 05:36:56 AM »
I watched that this last weekend.

I thought most of the criticism was fair given the context of what other sport touring bikes now offer. Had Kawasaki added cruise control and ride by wire with ride modes, etc, then it's a more relevant comparison to other machines.

The C14 has good bones, but I had to reconcile that I was going to have to spend some money and effort to get it where I need this kind of bike to be.

Decent review, or at least fair. Kawi has ignored this bike and it shows when you look around.     
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 11:11:14 AM »
I think he nailed it. What attracted me to my Multistrada was how easy it is to corner and the electronics. The Multi will change personalities with a touch of a button and I love how it feels in the corners over the C14. That said, no way would I have bought the Multi if it hadn't found 2 year old if perfect shape with only 2500 miles on it, totally loaded with the options I wanted for $10k less then list. The C14 is WAY more bang for the buck and if they did update it with ride modes and CC I would consider getting a new one.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 11:22:39 PM »
It hasn't been hot out since I bought mine, so I can't really say anything about the heat. Some of the reasons I bought it were for the "brutish power", the "simplicity", and because it is more "old school." I really don't like a lot of unnecessary electronics. Ones that truly benefit by adding power, making it run better, etc are ok. I don't understand why you need throttle by wire when cables work just fine. Rider modes are also a waste. If you need the bike detuned, get a different bike. A smaller, less powerful one that you can handle. Electronic suspensions... I can twist a dial thank you!

When he says "it is definitely a physical bike to ride", I would have to disagree. It is the most "flickable" bike I own. I find the handling to be excellent! I do agree with what he says about it "holding a line" tho. I think the stock shield works just fine. I keep the vent open to the middle setting. When I want more air, I lower the shield all the way down. In cold weather, I raise it up until the wind noise dissipates. I have never had any buffeting at any speed. I also find the seat to be comfortable. I have done some 200+ mile days with no issue. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm picky about seats, but the stock seat was one of the first things that had to go on my M109. I prefer the stock seat over the Mustang I got for my Magnum (bought the Mustang so my wife would be more comfortable when we ride 2up).

Now, the cruise control comments he made, I couldn't agree with him more! They could have easily added cruise control at any point without changing anything else on the bike. It would have been HUGE!!! I know of several people I've spoke to that said they almost bought a concours, but no cruise control was a deal breaker for them.

For me, it was just like he said. The lack of electronics means less that can go wrong. The price was definitely right. $13.1k OTD including 3 year additional warranty for a total of 6 years.

I seriously hope he is wrong about this being the last of the great Japanese dinosaurs! If they are still making them, I would definitely buy another Concours in the future when I wear this one out!

The stock 021 BStones will not hold a line in a fast corner, and will constantly "stand up" and wobble making them very dangerous to new riders exploring the limits. If you are happy with the Crapstone 021, you won't believe the difference of a decent tire with a "55" series rear profile instead of the stock 50. series.

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 09:02:06 AM »
The stock 021 BStones will not hold a line in a fast corner, and will constantly "stand up" and wobble making them very dangerous to new riders exploring the limits. If you are happy with the Crapstone 021, you won't believe the difference of a decent tire with a "55" series rear profile instead of the stock 50. series.

I agree the Bridgestone tires that come stock on the C14 are not great.  About 4 years ago I switched to the Michelin Pilot Road 3, although I kept with the stock 50-series sidewall.  Night and day difference!  The Michelins ride much nicer, and I have more confidence leaning in corners.

Next time I get tires (probably next year) I'll be sticking with the latest Michelin Pilot Road model, but I'll probably step up to the 55-series.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 12:59:08 PM »
Look how long they sold the early Connies. The 1400 is brand new, in Kawasaki years.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 08:47:00 PM »
I agree the Bridgestone tires that come stock on the C14 are not great.  About 4 years ago I switched to the Michelin Pilot Road 3, although I kept with the stock 50-series sidewall.  Night and day difference!  The Michelins ride much nicer, and I have more confidence leaning in corners.

Next time I get tires (probably next year) I'll be sticking with the latest Michelin Pilot Road model, but I'll probably step up to the 55-series.

So 55 series rear. Stock size on the front?
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R