Author Topic: Regional differences in the U.S.  (Read 5117 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Regional differences in the U.S.
« on: March 22, 2018, 08:43:00 AM »
Softball: Around Chicago (where the game was invented supposedly) they play with no gloves and a 16" (circumference) softball, almost everywhere else is a 12" softball and the fielders use gloves.

Now I've never seen it, but I hear in Maryland that they bowl different than the rest of us. Duck pins or something like that?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 09:23:50 AM by fartymarty »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Regional differences in the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 09:22:35 AM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 09:27:21 AM »
Where I come from we shoot both the ducks and the pins.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 11:48:36 AM »
I suppose if this thread is to survive we may need to add regional specialties that are different from elsewhere just because they aren't available most places. Anybody here from Michigans's U.P. want to tell us about hot pasties?  They sound like those tassel things that some strippers use, but they aren't.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 12:03:30 PM »
I suppose if this thread is to survive we may need to add regional specialties that are different from elsewhere just because they aren't available most places. Anybody here from Michigans's U.P. want to tell us about hot pasties?  They sound like those tassel things that some strippers use, but they aren't.

I'm rather partial to a proper Cornish one :)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 12:17:50 PM »
I'm rather partial to a proper Cornish one :)
Wrong thread!   ;) ;D

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 01:44:03 PM »
Local to RI although very slowly spreading to nearby MA:

1) Hot wieners. Bun, piece of wiener meat (Easy Boys!) which is NOT a hot dog but similar although kept in a steam chamber, covered with meat sauce (do not even ask what is in that), then covered in raw onions and a swipe of yellow mustered. Also called 'gaggers', 'belly- busters' and a whole host of cute names. An RI institution served in many New York System restaurants (which are NOT in New York). Commonly called 'Hot wennies' in RI speak 'cause we don't need no 'R's.

2) Coffee milk, coffee ice cream. Local company makes 'coffee syrup', sort of like chocolate syrup but thinner, stronger and made from the extract of coffee grounds. Very popular here.

3) Del's Lemonade. Which is not lemonade. It is a lemon and sugar and chipped ice concoction. Unique to RI as far as I know- sweeter and thicker than something like Italian Ice, for example. Spring COG rally 2011 served a bunch to the visiting COGgers and it went over quite well, or at least I think (hope?) it did. The stuff is unique because of the stainless steel drums it is made inside of, with long, curved scrapers rubbing the outside of the frozen drum. It is just not like anything that comes out of a blender, for example.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 02:54:00 PM »
Ran across a local favorite on an easterly ride. Scrapple. Run away.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 03:36:22 PM »
Now that would be nice with a shot or two of Jack Daniels in, kinda variation on a Lynchburg Lemonade :)

Del's Lemonade. Which is not lemonade. It is a lemon and sugar and chipped ice concoction. U

Brian
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 04:20:04 PM »
Pop - Soda - Sodapop ???
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 04:59:45 PM »
Pop - Soda - Sodapop ???

Carbonated non-alcoholic beverage
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 05:24:58 PM »
Twisties.
Yes, the roads.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 05:52:21 PM »

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 06:01:18 PM »
Local to RI although very slowly spreading to nearby MA:

1) Hot wieners. Bun, piece of wiener meat (Easy Boys!) which is NOT a hot dog but similar although kept in a steam chamber, covered with meat sauce (do not even ask what is in that), then covered in raw onions and a swipe of yellow mustered. Also called 'gaggers', 'belly- busters' and a whole host of cute names. An RI institution served in many New York System restaurants (which are NOT in New York). Commonly called 'Hot wennies' in RI speak 'cause we don't need no 'R's.

2) Coffee milk, coffee ice cream. Local company makes 'coffee syrup', sort of like chocolate syrup but thinner, stronger and made from the extract of coffee grounds. Very popular here.

3) Del's Lemonade. Which is not lemonade. It is a lemon and sugar and chipped ice concoction. Unique to RI as far as I know- sweeter and thicker than something like Italian Ice, for example. Spring COG rally 2011 served a bunch to the visiting COGgers and it went over quite well, or at least I think (hope?) it did. The stuff is unique because of the stainless steel drums it is made inside of, with long, curved scrapers rubbing the outside of the frozen drum. It is just not like anything that comes out of a blender, for example.

Brian

I'm not sure what's wrong with me (yeah, it's an ongoing question) but all three of those sound interesting. The Hot Wieners sound a little like a chili dog but I gather they are something totally different.

Now about #2 (speaking of Hot wieners, EZ girls)   the coffee stuff, so "Coffee Milk" is what the rest of us refer to as Coffee Ice Cream?....and the Coffee Syrup is used as chocolate Syrup is like maybe on vanilla ice cream. Brian please expand your #2 a bit. (Oh boy what an opening..and oops there's another one... :-\ :banghead:  )

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 07:52:26 PM »
I love the different ways we pronounce the word coffee.  My mother hailed from New Hampshire and it sounded like Kwa-fee when she asked for a cup.  New England people, gotta love 'em.

Don't get me started on Southern Californians and they way they "up-talk".  You've heard it.  It sounds like they're asking a question when they're making a statement.  Drives me crazy and I was born & raised there.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 08:13:59 PM »
I'm not sure what's wrong with me (yeah, it's an ongoing question) but all three of those sound interesting.

I know what's wrong with me, and all three sound horrible.  Meat, lemon, and coffee.  Gross!!! :)

Now had you said chocolate, peanut butter, and banana.... yum!  And it works in ANY combination, too.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 07:41:14 AM »
I'm not sure what's wrong with me (yeah, it's an ongoing question) but all three of those sound interesting. The Hot Wieners sound a little like a chili dog but I gather they are something totally different.

Now about #2 (speaking of Hot wieners, EZ girls)   the coffee stuff, so "Coffee Milk" is what the rest of us refer to as Coffee Ice Cream?....and the Coffee Syrup is used as chocolate Syrup is like maybe on vanilla ice cream. Brian please expand your #2 a bit. (Oh boy what an opening..and oops there's another one... :-\ :banghead:  )
I'm originally from Fall River Massachusetts & grew up on Coffee Milk, It has nothing to do with Ice Cream. It's a syrup mixed in with your glass of milk to give it a Coffee type flavor, Kind of like chocolate milk. You can also buy it already mixed in from local Dairy's .
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 08:12:53 AM »
Growing up in New Orleans my mom gave us kids "coffee milk" with our breakfast. Just half a cup of coffee with half a cup of heated milk. Her take on the  Cafe Au Lait at the famous Cafe Du Monde in the French Quarter.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 09:58:26 AM »
Coffee syrup is similar to chocolate syrup but of course, coffee flavored. It is used in much the same way as chocolate syrup also- you can mix it with milk to make 'coffee milk' (in fact, it comes pre- packaged that way around here, just like chocolate milk) or put it on ice cream as a flavoring, again like chocolate syrup. The flavor has also been incorporated into ice cream so that we can get coffee ice cream, again exactly like chocolate ice cream but coffee flavored and tan in color.

For a long time, it was a stand- alone product, only available locally (made in Cranston, RI) but has crept out into a little more of the world. Local Burger Kings and McDonalds sometimes off coffee shakes but again, only locally.

It has also crept over the border to the north and is now available in some parts of MA but usually only the southeastern parts (near RI).

Some RI ex- pats like the stuff but cannot get it and so we send it to them by the case. Autocrat (the mfg. of coffee syrup) now makes that available on-line. Unfortunately, I do not know of any way to get a sample or reasonable quantity outside this limited area.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 10:01:24 AM »
Bingo! There it is- coffee syrup from Autocrat. There used to be another brand, Eclipse but Autocrat bought Eclipse some years ago.

It is dark (almost black), thin and very sweet. It tastes like coffee but in a milder, smoother way with none of the 'bite' of real coffee. Most people seem to like it though they act like it is something from a foreign planet or something :-)

Brian

I'm originally from Fall River Massachusetts & grew up on Coffee Milk, It has nothing to do with Ice Cream. It's a syrup mixed in with your glass of milk to give it a Coffee type flavor, Kind of like chocolate milk. You can also buy it already mixed in from local Dairy's .