Author Topic: Adding hidden mechanical unlock to 2010 glovebox  (Read 15049 times)

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
Adding hidden mechanical unlock to 2010 glovebox
« on: May 19, 2011, 10:07:16 PM »
Admin note: Originally posted by "Rhino" on: August 24, 2010, 07:56:51 pm

I didn’t like having to turn on the bike every time I wanted to get into the glove box. But I do like the pseudo security of having a locking glove box. My solution was to install a small nearly invisible latch that would allow me to open the box with 2 fingers with the bike off but still works normally when the bike is on.

First remove the box from the bike, remove the solenoid cover and the solenoid.

Drill an 1/8” hole in the plastic release lever right above where the solenoid touches the lever.

Drill an 1/8” hole in the plastic cover at the center bottom of the flat part. This should be right above the bottom of the lever when the cover is installed on the box.

Now take a piece of coat hanger wire about 2 ½” and bend a small jog at one end.

Insert the jog into the hole in the lever.

Re-install the solenoid

Re-install the cover while threading the wire through the hole. After the cover is install you will have about an 1 ½ “ of wire sticking through. Bend the wire in half on it self.

Now bend the wire down 90 degrees so that when you push the end it will push on the lever inside to allow the button to open the box.

Now re-install the box and using 2 fingers you can easily open the box.

Unless you know about this latch the box will appear to remain locked.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:51:57 PM by Rick Hall »
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline tonedeaf

I wish mine worked well enough to need this truely nifty mod!

Offline longrun

• I used to hurry a lot, I used to worry a lot
Re: Adding hidden mechanical unlock to 2010 glovebox
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 11:19:27 AM »
I was all set to do this mod, but I was thinking I had seen a post somewhere about another way to allow power off access to the glovebox.  While I had mine apart, I was trying to think of what that other way might have been.  I think I "discovered" it.  It is even more discreet, IMHO.  Since I didn't take pictures of how I did it, I just tweaked one of the OP's shots.

I just cut the bottom rectangular portion of the solenoid cover away. Now you just reach under the box and press upward on the bottom of the solenoid with a finger while depressing the catch topside with your thumb.
Paul
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 11:55:26 AM »
I originally did almost the same thing. Drilled a hole in the bottom and put a cut off nail through the hole. But it was more difficult to stretch my hand down in there while pushing the latch button. So I ended up with this mod that I can do easily one handed.

I was all set to do this mod, but I was thinking I had seen a post somewhere about another way to allow power off access to the glovebox.  While I had mine apart, I was trying to think of what that other way might have been.  I think I "discovered" it.  It is even more discreet, IMHO.  Since I didn't take pictures of how I did it, I just tweaked one of the OP's shots.

I just cut the bottom rectangular portion of the solenoid cover away. Now you just reach under the box and press upward on the bottom of the solenoid with a finger while depressing the catch topside with your thumb.

Offline longrun

• I used to hurry a lot, I used to worry a lot
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 12:34:37 PM »
I did test the reach before cutting and it didn't seem to be an issue for me, but I can see how it could be a two handed operation for some.
Paul
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline justbob

• crashin' sucks
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 05:57:29 PM »
IIRC all I did was install a nylon bushing around the solenoid pin, which activates the mechanism all the time. I simply push the button to open the lid anytime.  I dont have the option of locking it by doing it this way but I dont feel the need to lock it anyway.
2010 C-14
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere