Author Topic: Removing Windscreen  (Read 17006 times)

Offline Klavdy

Removing Windscreen
« on: March 12, 2012, 04:59:07 AM »
It's a trap for a young player if you don't realise there are another two bolts (one on each side)that need to be undone.
They are under the black plastic caps on the front of the screen.

TAGS : Screen Remove Windscreen How to Kawasaki GTR1400 Concours

Thanks to "Kwikasfuki"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Removing Windscreen
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 05:05:07 AM »
Word of advice for anyone taking the screen off is to use a 3/8 hex socket to remove the screws.  The two hidden bolts are extremely soft.  Please make sure that your hex bit is firmly seated in the bolt.  Sometimes you have to wiggle the hex socket to make it seat correctly.  If you don't do this you WILL round it out and make further screen changes a nightmare.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Klavdy

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 05:21:10 AM »
Good call on the soft hex heads, mate.
Any reason they shouldn't/cant be replaced with better ones?
Cheers.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 05:43:19 AM »
I don't see why not.  As to where you'd find it is another story.  It's easier to just use the right tools to get them off, though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Klavdy

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 06:38:37 AM »
No worries,
the reason I've asked is that I want to add another cigarette/Powerlet outlet to the left hand side of the dash where there is a circular 'Blanking Plate" just next to the headlamp adjuster.
Needed to take the screen off to neatly get to the pop in/out plastic rivet that holds the infill moulding on.
Then I can hook up the cig/Powerlet outlet up to the male/female bullet connectors under that hood thing.
I'd rather not drill holes in panels and that knock out blanking plate hooked up to the fused 10 amp (on the 2008's) looks the biz.

(Thanks to Fred Harmon for the pics, clickity click
)

It's hard to find just the cig/powerlet socket on Powerlets web site, you have to put "PSO-001" or "Standard Powerlet Socket"

Powerlet have been asked if they can provide a plain socket with a weather resistant rubber boot and a set of short leads terminating in bullet connectors to suit the fused ones under the left panel.
Tell you what they say when they reply.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 06:44:09 AM »
Do me a favor and start a new thread on that.  Put it into the Electrical board.  Document it as much as you can.  I can tell you though from others doing that there's not a lot of room behind that plug.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?board=30.0

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 07:05:50 AM »
Sears sells a nice set of "T" handle hex wrenches that work well for these soft bolts.  If they are available separately, a 4, 5 and 6 will work well for this bike.  I prefer them to the socket and hex as the t handle lets you stay centered over the fastener.  I had no idea it was possible to zinc plate cheese until I worked with these bolts.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 01:37:15 PM »
The C10 had chocolate bolts.  This is an upgrade.

Offline Klavdy

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 05:09:43 AM »
Do me a favor and start a new thread on that.  Put it into the Electrical board.  Document it as much as you can.  I can tell you though from others doing that there's not a lot of room behind that plug.

O.K will do,started into it today, took off the screen, infill panels etc but ran into a spot of bother.
What a bugger, there's a mounting bracket type deal directly behind that round "Blanking Plate" on the left hand side of the dash, just to the left of the headlight adjuster knob.
Can't get to the back of it without further, more involved dismantling.
Hmmm, time for plan B.
I'll do a write up with pics etc and put it in the suggested board.
Just have to come up with a cunning plan first,,,

Offline Stasch

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 10:05:45 AM »
The C10 had chocolate bolts.  This is an upgrade.

And all this time I thought they were made of compressed oatmeal.  Go figure.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 11:26:39 AM »
O.K will do,started into it today, took off the screen, infill panels etc but ran into a spot of bother.
What a bugger, there's a mounting bracket type deal directly behind that round "Blanking Plate" on the left hand side of the dash, just to the left of the headlight adjuster knob.
Can't get to the back of it without further, more involved dismantling.
Hmmm, time for plan B.
I'll do a write up with pics etc and put it in the suggested board.
Just have to come up with a cunning plan first,,,

You were forewarned.  ;)

I believe there were some other threads where people made this mod, but had to grind away the extra metal so that the plug could fit.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 07:35:07 PM »
Heres a goofy tip to help with the cheesy hex bolts.  Toothpaste.  Plain old colgate white, or such. Dip end of hex wrench in toothpaste and its less likely to slip.  Plus, the slick paste lets the wrench slide in further. If you really want to do it right, try valve grinding compound.

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 03:41:43 PM »
Heres a goofy tip to help with the cheesy hex bolts.  Toothpaste.  Plain old colgate white, or such. Dip end of hex wrench in toothpaste and its less likely to slip.  Plus, the slick paste lets the wrench slide in further. If you really want to do it right, try valve grinding compound.

may need to try that.  tried the remove wind screen awhile back and started to mangle one the the screw heads. stopped as soon as I saw the movement and never tried again. will give this a try along with a 3/8 hex.