Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 141703 times)

Offline MMMOTORCYCLE

Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #915 on: May 11, 2016, 10:14:36 pm »
Just received my cages. The cages themselves look very well made...wish I could say the same for the hardware!

Both 10mmx60 bolts have what looks like rust about the 2nd thread down...will be getting new bolts in the am.

The rear engine bolt/shaft? Appears to be raw steel? Anyone else have concerns over time with rust/corossion?

Instructions are a little lacking. Some pics would help.

Instruction #12 ends with "..begin threading the special step nut and its 5/8" x 1/32" washer onto the protruding threads until" ...UNTIL WHAT??

Ryan, can we please get a confirmation on torque specs. I received an email from Teri stating 30-32 lb for the main bolts for both the canyon cages and rear guards. This contradicts what I have seen here and what you have previously posted.

Thanks
MichaelMichaelMotorcycle

EDIT-I heard beck from Ryan who confirmed to torque the 10mm engine bolts to 44 ft/lbs and 18-20 ft/lbs for the rear guards.

Also, whoever suggested warming the bike up first before trying to loosen the loctite on the engine bolts is a genius...

2 suggestions to make life easier. Tape up the opening to protect them and get one of those ratcheting box end 5/8" wrench.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 05:00:01 pm by MMMOTORCYCLE »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #916 on: May 12, 2016, 05:20:59 am »
I'm not sure that Ryan still monitors this thread on any regular basis.  If you have questions/concerns, you need to contact him directly.
  "LOCTITE┬«"  The original thread locker...  #11  08-C14 EA FC ABS 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology.  U.N.I.T is Back!  2016 Indian Roadmaster.

Offline smokin

« Reply #917 on: May 12, 2016, 10:06:09 am »
One important action to do regarding the bolts supplied for the engine mount, run a die over them as I can tell you they wont screw in without binding up into the engine. Also make sure you clean out all the old original Loctite from the engine mount threaded holes before fitting the supplied bolts.
The nut which goes on the bolt which goes through the rear mount will not be flush with the end of the bolt when tensioned up , the bolt will be a few mm counter sunk when the nut is tightened completely.
I sprayed the rear bolt with Mercury engine corrosion protector spray, coats the metal and stops corrosion. 
SONS OF ARTHRITIS OSTEO CHAPTER.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #918 on: May 18, 2017, 03:23:31 am »
Just bought a set of front cages for my 2012 Connie. Read with interest the comments concerning the hardware. I'll be running a die over the bolts and/or strip off the plating with a wire wheel.

Will be doing the rears, but I first want to get the fronts on. I don't run with the panniers on 99% of the time anyway.
2012 Connie Arabian Candy Red.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #919 on: May 18, 2017, 04:49:38 am »
Just bought a set of front cages for my 2012 Connie. Read with interest the comments concerning the hardware. I'll be running a die over the bolts and/or strip off the plating with a wire wheel.

Will be doing the rears, but I first want to get the fronts on. I don't run with the panniers on 99% of the time anyway.

The rears look really stupid without the bags on.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• 2011 Silver
« Reply #920 on: May 18, 2017, 06:08:59 am »
The rears look really stupid without the bags on.

Yes they do.  But the rear bars protect more than just the bags.  Can't remember exactly what right now, though.
Guhl ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, HID, helmet locks, Garmin Zumo 450, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, PR4-GT, Shoei GT Air,  Tourmaster Flex II

Offline Conrad

« Reply #921 on: May 19, 2017, 04:55:07 am »
Yes they do.  But the rear bars protect more than just the bags.  Can't remember exactly what right now, though.

Well, on mine, when I'm riding two up, they help protect my wife's gorgeous legs in the event of a mishap. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #922 on: May 19, 2017, 05:12:53 am »
Well, on mine, when I'm riding two up, they help protect my wife's gorgeous legs in the event of a mishap.

Funny story...had a Road King and found the limits of ground clearance is when the front crash bar lifts the front wheel off the pavement. Rebuilt the bike .... left the crash bars off ... a freak low speed tipover... rear brake pedal bent inward (no crash bar) trapping my foot while the air cleaner pushed out on my knee. Not much luck with or without.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #923 on: May 23, 2017, 05:28:47 pm »

The fronts arrived in today's mail. Won't have a chance to get them on until the weekend. Until then, I gotta make a run and get some painter's tape, Loctite, and I'm looking at tap and die sets.........oh, and a 5/8" box end ratchet. Did I miss anything?

Offline maxtog

• 2011 Silver
« Reply #924 on: May 23, 2017, 06:24:32 pm »
I must have been lucky.  I didn't use a tap/die, didn't use locktite.  But I did have to buy an articulating speed wrench to get to one bolt that was just about impossible to access in any other way (it would have taken hours of tiny, partial turns with a box-end, flipping between each motion).
Guhl ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, HID, helmet locks, Garmin Zumo 450, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, PR4-GT, Shoei GT Air,  Tourmaster Flex II

Offline sailor_chic

« Reply #925 on: May 24, 2017, 08:00:31 am »
I agree with Max. A ratcheting wrench is essential for installation and removal of the cages.
Nicole   IBA # 60267

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #926 on: May 24, 2017, 03:42:22 pm »
I agree with Max. A ratcheting wrench is essential for installation and removal of the cages.

+2 Otherwise be prepared for 20 minutes each side turning the bolt 1/16 of a turn, turning over the box end wrench, get another 1/16 and repeat at least 100 times.

A really reliable, reputable, ratcheting wrench is essential. Now say that 5 time fast!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:05:47 am by Rhino »

Offline maxtog

• 2011 Silver
« Reply #927 on: May 24, 2017, 04:31:50 pm »
A really ratcheting rebliable wrencher ratcheting redsfiisudf.....

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #928 on: June 02, 2017, 11:23:06 am »
We have never had any reported problems with MCE (not that I saw or remember, anyway).  Quite the opposite.  Ryan actually used this forum to help design the Canyon Cages (which was fun), then offered a discounted group-buy, communicates well, and has always stood behind the products.  I have been impressed.

Yep, got a very detailed email from Ryan yesterday after I queried him about the hardware issues reported elsewhere on this thread. He's very insistent that they get quality parts, but does acknowledge that some slip through. He'll replace what's inadequate.

He also states that the reason that some have trouble with installation is failing to tap out the loctite on the female mounting holes. I think he ought to put that in his instructions, frankly, since there is plenty of support of that idea here in this forum.

On the whole, you can certainly do worse than working with Ryan. He's a straight shooter, communicates well (and timely) and stands behind his product.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #929 on: June 02, 2017, 11:24:57 am »
....snip....

Instructions are a little lacking. Some pics would help.

Instruction #12 ends with "..begin threading the special step nut and its 5/8" x 1/32" washer onto the protruding threads until" ...UNTIL WHAT??

The missing word is "snug" according to Ryan.