Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 292629 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #920 on: May 18, 2017, 06:08:59 AM »
The rears look really stupid without the bags on.

Yes they do.  But the rear bars protect more than just the bags.  Can't remember exactly what right now, though.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #921 on: May 19, 2017, 04:55:07 AM »
Yes they do.  But the rear bars protect more than just the bags.  Can't remember exactly what right now, though.

Well, on mine, when I'm riding two up, they help protect my wife's gorgeous legs in the event of a mishap. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #922 on: May 19, 2017, 05:12:53 AM »
Well, on mine, when I'm riding two up, they help protect my wife's gorgeous legs in the event of a mishap.

Funny story...had a Road King and found the limits of ground clearance is when the front crash bar lifts the front wheel off the pavement. Rebuilt the bike .... left the crash bars off ... a freak low speed tipover... rear brake pedal bent inward (no crash bar) trapping my foot while the air cleaner pushed out on my knee. Not much luck with or without.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #923 on: May 23, 2017, 05:28:47 PM »
Just bought a set of front cages for my 2012 Connie. Read with interest the comments concerning the hardware. I'll be running a die over the bolts and/or strip off the plating with a wire wheel.

Will be doing the rears, but I first want to get the fronts on. I don't run with the panniers on 99% of the time anyway.

The fronts arrived in today's mail. Won't have a chance to get them on until the weekend. Until then, I gotta make a run and get some painter's tape, Loctite, and I'm looking at tap and die sets.........oh, and a 5/8" box end ratchet. Did I miss anything?
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #924 on: May 23, 2017, 06:24:32 PM »
I must have been lucky.  I didn't use a tap/die, didn't use locktite.  But I did have to buy an articulating speed wrench to get to one bolt that was just about impossible to access in any other way (it would have taken hours of tiny, partial turns with a box-end, flipping between each motion).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

sailor_chic

« Reply #925 on: May 24, 2017, 08:00:31 AM »
I agree with Max. A ratcheting wrench is essential for installation and removal of the cages.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #926 on: May 24, 2017, 03:42:22 PM »
I agree with Max. A ratcheting wrench is essential for installation and removal of the cages.

+2 Otherwise be prepared for 20 minutes each side turning the bolt 1/16 of a turn, turning over the box end wrench, get another 1/16 and repeat at least 100 times.

A really reliable, reputable, ratcheting wrench is essential. Now say that 5 time fast!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:05:47 AM by Rhino »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #927 on: May 24, 2017, 04:31:50 PM »
A really ratcheting rebliable wrencher ratcheting redsfiisudf.....

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #928 on: June 02, 2017, 11:23:06 AM »
We have never had any reported problems with MCE (not that I saw or remember, anyway).  Quite the opposite.  Ryan actually used this forum to help design the Canyon Cages (which was fun), then offered a discounted group-buy, communicates well, and has always stood behind the products.  I have been impressed.

Yep, got a very detailed email from Ryan yesterday after I queried him about the hardware issues reported elsewhere on this thread. He's very insistent that they get quality parts, but does acknowledge that some slip through. He'll replace what's inadequate.

He also states that the reason that some have trouble with installation is failing to tap out the loctite on the female mounting holes. I think he ought to put that in his instructions, frankly, since there is plenty of support of that idea here in this forum.

On the whole, you can certainly do worse than working with Ryan. He's a straight shooter, communicates well (and timely) and stands behind his product.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #929 on: June 02, 2017, 11:24:57 AM »
....snip....

Instructions are a little lacking. Some pics would help.

Instruction #12 ends with "..begin threading the special step nut and its 5/8" x 1/32" washer onto the protruding threads until" ...UNTIL WHAT??

The missing word is "snug" according to Ryan.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Domani

« Reply #930 on: March 29, 2021, 02:22:46 AM »
Hi all
Is MCE still active ? Did they change name ?
I bought some protections for my C14 from Ryan 5 years ago and am searching some more for a C10
I sent email a month ago and no reply
Their FB page has been inactive since august 2016, but their website is still operationnal
I don't understand why they dissapeared all of a sudden without any warning... What happened ?
Thanks and ride safe

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #931 on: March 29, 2021, 05:46:59 AM »
Hi all.  Is MCE still active ?

Unfortunately, no.

Offline Warbird

« Reply #932 on: September 29, 2021, 08:53:59 PM »
Where can I find the installation instructions for 2010 and up canyon cages? :)

I'd Rather Be Roadracing.

Offline Warbird

« Reply #933 on: September 29, 2021, 10:05:48 PM »
Found em.
I'd Rather Be Roadracing.