Author Topic: Murphs' Kits Wedges  (Read 38325 times)

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
Murphs' Kits Wedges
« on: July 14, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
I communicated with Phil a while back and he told me that Murph was going to taking over in the Wedge production department.  Recently Phil posted on the wedges and I communicated with Murph about purchasing them.  I received them today and got to wrenching.  The install is straightforward and easily done by the average shade tree mechanic.  The quality of the products are outstanding and do as advertised.  The bar ends are raised, and for me it improves the comfort.  Below are some photos, they were taken on the center stand and from the same reference point.

Unpackaged

Before

After

side shot showing wedge between risers and clip ons

top view
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 07:00:49 PM by 556ALPHA »

Offline dixonk

Re: Murphs' Kits Wedges
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 08:22:53 PM »
These are still not showing up on the website...are they available for purchase already?
2011 Concours 14, Two Brothers Carbon Black Series, Cee Baileys Ultra Tour Windshield, Heli Bar Risers, Techmount w/ Zumo 665, Kawasaki 47L Top Case, Phil's Rack

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 08:28:32 PM »
These are still not showing up on the website...are they available for purchase already?

Yep, that is what I was going to say.  And the "but what if" bolts question.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 01:11:03 PM »
I think Murph may try and get them up on the site this weekend and the bolts he supplied with his style of risers fit perfectly, pictures added.

Offline Mighty

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 08:10:36 PM »
How much are those?
No Flies, PC V, BMC Air Filter, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber, Deep Tint Windshield, Gen Mar risers
Honda TRX700XX
Yamaha Warrior 1000cc 4 stroke Sled
68 Rag top Vette

Offline GTRrob

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 10:09:44 PM »
I have seen a couple of threads about "wedges", but I don't understand what they are doing. Can someone explain this to me or hook me up with a good link? How much riser can be handled by the C14 without getting into the cables/lines? Is there a popular size that works for most guys? Thanks all. :)

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 08:35:15 AM »
Maybe I can help, the "Wedges" are a pair of machined aluminum shims shaped like the base of the handlebar stanchion, that is angled at 6 degrees, with the thin side nearest the steering bearing. They go between the base and top-clamp and the wedge shape tilts the stanchion toward the steering bearing which elevates the handlebar ends about an inch and makes them more horizontal. It also brings them closer to the driver a small amount. The effect is to remove some of the compound twist in your wrists. They come with special washers made with the same 6 deg. angle that allows the bolt heads to bottom correctly. They don't affect the hydraulic hoses much and can be used on top of riser blocks. They do add 1/4"  &  1/2" to the required bolt length. Murph is supplying them and he also has longer bolts, so tell him if you have riser-blocks or not. 
This photo may help, it shows the difference in handle-bar orientation with the wedge:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 08:13:20 AM by philipintexas »
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline GTRrob

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 09:12:18 AM »
Thanks, great explanation. I was on murph's site doing a little "research" and ordered up the KB riser and fenda extenda deal. I'll give the risers a shot. I am 30 and came to this bike from a R1, so I am way more comfortable on it, but I think I would like a little more rise. I ran some heli-bar clip-ons on my R1 that added some rise and I loved it.

Offline Murph

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 06:43:53 AM »

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 08:47:28 AM »
Murph, any chance you're going to have an option for use with the taller Heli risers in the near future? 
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline PH14

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 10:26:01 AM »
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=466

Here ya go

Murph
COG 2769
Industry Member

Thanks Murph! By the way, it is possible to get both sets of bolts, on set for mounting without the risers and one set for mounting with the risers? I have your risers but don't always use them.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 04:04:02 PM »
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=466

Here ya go
Murph

Kewl!

>"We will be adding bolt lengths for taller risers in the future. "

I will probably order them as soon as you have the Helibar risers bolts-included option!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Murph

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 06:02:37 PM »

The longer bolts for use with the "other"  8) guys Risers should be here mid next week. We will also be offering bits and pieces such as spare angle washers  and different length bolts.

Murph
COG 2769
Industry Member

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 07:52:49 PM »
Ordered mine today. Couldn't wait for the longer bolts for my "other" guys risers. I'll work it out. Can't wait. Thanks Phil and Murph!
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline cheapbastard

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 01:11:53 PM »
question then, will the wedges work without any risers? Do you have correct bolt length for that setup? I'm looking for a little more comfort, and think just the wedges would do exactly what I want!

Offline Murph

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 03:51:35 PM »
Cheap

theres is a drop down selection to order the wedges with bolts needed to run them under just the stock bars.. ;) 

Murph
COG 2769
Industry Member

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 05:03:55 PM »
I'm likely going to order a set for my bike since I removed the Heli bar risers and went back to stock, but maybe I have missed it, what are folks saying about the comfort of these that have installed them?  Is there another thread?  I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has installed on the stock bars.

Offline Murph

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 05:34:20 PM »
Con,

Theres other threads, but hey, its a Murphs' product, try it out, if you don't like it return it and your just out the cost of shipping..

Murph
COG 2769
Industry Member

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 05:46:45 PM »
I had a set that I bought from Phil previously that was used only with stock bars.  The feeling is the same just higher with risers.   It will bring your hands closer together somewhat making your grip slightly narrower. 

Offline incabird

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 10:56:12 PM »
Do you need to modify the cables or hoses with the risers and wedges? I already have the risers and the cables and hoses seem a bit tight.
2009 Red ZG14 w/typical farkels
Mentor, OH