Author Topic: Replacement Battery  (Read 29567 times)

Offline AaronJM

Replacement Battery
« on: August 24, 2011, 01:25:07 PM »
I thinks it's time for a new battery. There was quite a bit of information posted on the "old forum" about the different options available but I can't seem to find much info now. I thought I would buy from Murph when the time came but it appears he doesn't carry them anymore.  I saved a link some time ago from Tri-State battery.    http://www.tristatebattery.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=19&products_id=732     Anyone have experience with this unit or other suggestions?
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

W.B. Yeats

Offline So Cal Joe

Re: Replacement Battery
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 07:11:21 AM »

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 11:43:48 AM »
That is too bad- I have one of Murph's AGM batteries and am very happy with it.

You might be able to get the same brand elsewhere if Murph is no longer stocking the size for the C-14- I believe the brand is MotoBatt.

Brian

I thinks it's time for a new battery. There was quite a bit of information posted on the "old forum" about the different options available but I can't seem to find much info now. I thought I would buy from Murph when the time came but it appears he doesn't carry them anymore.  I saved a link some time ago from Tri-State battery.    http://www.tristatebattery.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=19&products_id=732     Anyone have experience with this unit or other suggestions?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ridingfar

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 01:29:57 PM »
I also believe there are some new smaller/lighter/more powerful types available now, lithium-ion IIRC. Pricey, as most new technology usually is, but they appear to have operational benefits, i.e., lighter, power, services life....

I'm just sayin.....

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 04:33:03 PM »
Just my opinion but that is new technology for this use and might be finicky. One person who did try one mentioned having to turn the headlights on for a bit before engaging the starter to warm up the battery, and the ambient temp. wasn't really low. Lead acid is very well proven and known technology; lithium batteries may be the new thing that comes along and surpasses them but I would like to see some go through a northern US winter before jumping on that wagon. Again, I am not knocking this chemistry in any way, just taking a 'wait and see' attitude, especially since there is no pressing reason to leave lead- acid technology behind.

Brian

I also believe there are some new smaller/lighter/more powerful types available now, lithium-ion IIRC. Pricey, as most new technology usually is, but they appear to have operational benefits, i.e., lighter, power, services life....

I'm just sayin.....
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 04:45:43 PM »
Just my opinion but that is new technology for this use and might be finicky. One person who did try one mentioned having to turn the headlights on for a bit before engaging the starter to warm up the battery, and the ambient temp. wasn't really low. Lead acid is very well proven and known technology; lithium batteries may be the new thing that comes along and surpasses them but I would like to see some go through a northern US winter before jumping on that wagon. Again, I am not knocking this chemistry in any way, just taking a 'wait and see' attitude, especially since there is no pressing reason to leave lead- acid technology behind.

Brian

Seriously laughing out loud.  Brian, the formost defender of bleeding-edge technology, shies away from LiOn/LiPo batteries.  This is good.  Is this a portent of a return to carbs, kick starters, drum brakes, and ahem "conventional" ignition locking mechanisms?

From my experience w/ RC car/heli batteries, I would have no qualms going with a LiPo motorcycle battery, other than the cost.  If course, where I live, cold and snow are virtually non-existant.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 05:58:48 PM »
super-walmart, take yours in, match sizes, take the core charge off the table, walk out.

for anything else I strongly recommend TARGET!!! Not for the big red balls, but to avoid all those peopleofwalmart.com type folks that frequent the place.

TARGET FTW!

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 08:06:02 PM »
Now Clyde, go easy on trying to paint me in any extreme corner or you might get a reputation of being an overexcited zealot instead of the thoughtful, rational person we all know that you are. And you wouldn't want that reputation..... right?  :D  I like to believe my responses are rational and have at least a little thought behind them.

The battery in my bike must start it reliably down to well below 20F; and I have little confidence that a lithium battery will do that (note that I did not say that it would not, just that I do not have confidence in it happening). I have every confidence in the lead acid battery (specifically AGM) in the bike doing that very thing. Lead acid batteries are very robust with regard to charging / discharging rates and especially, charging / discharging limits. Drain a lead acid cell far down its nominal voltage and it will tolerate that- its lifespan may be shortened but they will take a charge and start the vehicle many more times before failing from such abuse. Over discharge a lithium cell and it is toast; the chemistry is destroyed. Same thing with the rate of charging, lead acid types take high charge rates well (again, it may damage the cell but not destroy its ability to take and hold a charge, as well as start a vehicle many times) while lithium batteries must contain circuitry to limit their charge rate to a reasonable rate.

I also have some experience in R/C use (fixed wing though and only for receiver and servo power) but more in cordless tools, and that experience has not been good. I have been through a handful of extremely expensive lithium batteries in a Makita cordless drill, often having them fail two at a time after long periods of inactivity. NiCad and especially nickel metal hydride batteries are far tougher in actual use even though their power density is less. Still, I would take a battery with 1/2 of the potential power storage that WORKED over a 'dead as a doornail' higher capacity battery anytime.

Lithium batteries seem to be performing well in cell phone applications although that took a number of years to reach the current (pun intended) of reliability and stability.

In the end, I just don't equate the high price and uncertainty (my uncertainty at least) of lithium battery performance, especially under extreme conditions, as a decent valve for vehicle starting use. As I already said, I do not think they are necessarily bad but I want to sit back and let them perform wonderfully before I jump on board. Besides, what is the big advantage? A few pounds of weight savings and smaller size? The size means nothing to me because the battery box on the bike is fixed in size, and if I really wanted to save a bit of weight on my C-14 I could force the rider to lose more than both batteries put together.

Brian

Seriously laughing out loud.  Brian, the formost defender of bleeding-edge technology, shies away from LiOn/LiPo batteries.  This is good.  Is this a portent of a return to carbs, kick starters, drum brakes, and ahem "conventional" ignition locking mechanisms?

From my experience w/ RC car/heli batteries, I would have no qualms going with a LiPo motorcycle battery, other than the cost.  If course, where I live, cold and snow are virtually non-existant.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 11:04:58 PM »
Stll smiling. Just find it amusing to find you on the other side of the "not ready for prime time" argument.

At this point, the motorcycle LiPo's are terribly expensive ($1k range), at least the ones I found, and only even slightly make sense for racing or show bikes.  Hopefully enough will sell, and battery tech will keep developing so that they will be affordable and reliable within another 2-5 years.

Cold weather, overcharging and over-discharging all have to be addressed. As you noted, cold weather is a bit of a challenge.  In the meantime, we can hope for the return of kick-starters.   :)  On a couple of the other bike forums I visit, there are those who seriously lament the loss of kickstarters.  And carbs.  Nobody seems to wax nostalgic about drum brakes, though.

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 07:16:14 AM »
I too have extensive experience with Lithium batteries for R/C Use (Fixed wing as well as Heli)  and the new LIPO batteries can deliver AMAZING power and deep draw rates and be extremely light, the technology has come a LONG way...

My issue with Lithium is that they cannot hook directly into the bike without some form of electronic circuitry to control the charge rates,  if a lithium battery is charged incorrectly it can explode and it burns pretty hot.  That is probably what is driving the cost of these batteries so high,  the cost of the circuitry.

However, I don't see the point of using them as opposed to a reasonably priced AGM battery,  The only advantage that I can see would be for weight savings, and to be honest, unless you are Valentino Rossi  you will not be flogging the bike hard enough where the 10 lbs or so difference will make a difference in the bike's power or acceleration... 

It's a neat concept,  but I just don't see any real reason for it... There are so many other Farkles I could be spending that money on :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 07:57:29 AM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 11:33:21 AM »
Not sure if we are talking about the same chemistry but Shorai batteries for a C-14 are approx. $150 or $190 depending on whether you get the super, super, super, outstanding one or the better one. I bet you are tearing a strip out of your carpet right now running to the phone to order one. http://www.shoraipower.com/s-82430-1400-GTR.aspx  I think they have free shipping too because the batteries are so light they just throw them out a window and they float to your house on gentle air currents.

Go get em', tiger!  ;D

Brian

Stll smiling. Just find it amusing to find you on the other side of the "not ready for prime time" argument.

At this point, the motorcycle LiPo's are terribly expensive ($1k range), at least the ones I found, and only even slightly make sense for racing or show bikes.  Hopefully enough will sell, and battery tech will keep developing so that they will be affordable and reliable within another 2-5 years.

Cold weather, overcharging and over-discharging all have to be addressed. As you noted, cold weather is a bit of a challenge.  In the meantime, we can hope for the return of kick-starters.   :)  On a couple of the other bike forums I visit, there are those who seriously lament the loss of kickstarters.  And carbs.  Nobody seems to wax nostalgic about drum brakes, though.

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 12:40:09 PM »
According to that link to Shorai the basic (non extended) Battery is 150 bucks,  Did a quickie  search and found a AGM battery for a C-14 for 55 bucks.   So you are paying 90 bucks extra to save approx 7 lbs.

Doesn't make sense to me....

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 04:03:36 PM »
I will stick with the good ole proven technology for now.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 04:48:48 PM »
Cool. Thx for the link.  A lot better price  than the $900 batteries I found.  The carpet will be okay (just toss a throw rug over the burned-out strip).  I'm probably about a year out from needing a battery, but will keep the Shorai in mind for then.  Thanks again.

Offline AaronJM

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 07:17:07 PM »
I have to go with Brian and Pokey on this one. I went with the "proven technology."  I've never been accused of being a Luddite and am generally willing to try new technology but I think cost trumps all. I had thought I would buy from Murph when the time came but he probably realized what a pain in the arse dealing in batteries is. I found the same MotoBatt on Amazon for $73. I think that's just about what Murph sold them for.  I couldn't find any bad reviews of the battery so I'll give it shot. I like the fact that the MotoBatt has 4 terminals to separate the accessory, tender leads etc. from the main.  This time I'm going to use my Battery Tender a little more religiously. I was pretty inconsistant on my OEM battery but still managed to get 40+ months out of it. That's with one complete drain and recharge from leaving the switch in the "on" position. :P
Thanks for the input.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 01:19:02 PM by AaronJM »
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

W.B. Yeats

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 07:58:24 PM »
I replaced mine with a Shorai.  VERY pleased!  Great power and MUCH lighter!

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 06:13:27 AM »
Heree are the 2 batteries side by side

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 06:28:33 AM »
Thank you for posting that picture.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 06:41:37 PM »

for anything else I strongly recommend TARGET!!! Not for the big red balls, but to avoid all those peopleofwalmart.com type folks that frequent the place.

Hey boy -  you got sumptin' against Walmart shoppers?  BTW, AGM batteries used to be very expensive when they first came on the market -- give the Li-Fe batteries time for the prices to come down before you buy....
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."