Author Topic: Corbin Trunk and Phils Modification  (Read 14651 times)

Offline kawacop1642

Re: Corbin Trunk and Phils Modification
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 05:32:19 AM »
Hey Alfa,
  How did you set up the rear floorboards, and would they work with the projektD peg lowering kit? Also, where did you purchase this setup?

Thanks

Mark

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 10:03:10 AM »
Mark,
All the info on the boards are in this thread.  If you have any questions just shoot me a PM. 

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=6028.msg70694#msg70694

Offline MidlifeCrisis

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 12:07:15 PM »
Just bought the same trunk from the same seller, alpha.  Can't wait to get it.

Obviously I'll wait till I actually install it before I judge, but based on your pics, I think I'm okay with the height of the Corbin trunk as is, but I agree it needs to be moved forward.  I probably won't have passengers on long rides, but I do plan to do 'round the neighborhood rides with my 3 lil' ones, so I may want the box moved as far forward as possible, just shy of interferring with the saddlebags.
'09 Concours ABS, Candy Diamond Red
'08 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory, Red Lion
'05 GSXR600 (track bike)
'08 Suzuki S83 (selling)

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 12:40:47 PM »
Congrats, that was a great price.  Post some pics when ya get it installed.  I have mine adjusted all the way back.  If you want the box forward for small ones Phil has the original set we started off with, it would be perfect as it was way too close for my wife.  Shoot him a PM, I am sure he would be willing to work with you.  The lights in the trunk are ok but I disliked the fact that the length of the trunk made the factory tail light hard to see, the original rail from Phil was a one piece design and would work fine.   The seller is great with communication and has experience from shipping mine.  Three letters,  UPS.  Good luck.

Offline MidlifeCrisis

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 11:13:03 PM »
I am working with the seller right now on shipping.  I actually found FedEx Home delivery to be $75 and UPS Ground $90.  Hopefully, he can work out a convenient location to drop off the package with FedEx.  I've always liked FedEx Home Delivery best.  I used to order a lot of RC airplanes stuff from IL, and I would get packages via either UPS or FedEx.  FedEx Home Delivery beats UPS ground by 1-3 days every single time.  FedEx even delivers on Sat. sometimes.

Phil's orginal mount sounds like the ticket.  I'm afraid I am too new to know Phil's forum name here, sorry.
'05 GSXR600 (track bike)
'08 Suzuki S83 (selling)

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 02:46:23 PM »
Looking forward to seeing pictures. My reference was to a USPS disaster with the seller.  Fedex is my first choice as well.  It took 10 shipping days to go less than 300 miles for mine, he used USPS.  That is why I advised something else.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 02:52:13 PM »
I am working with the seller right now on shipping.  I actually found FedEx Home delivery to be $75 and UPS Ground $90.  Hopefully, he can work out a convenient location to drop off the package with FedEx.  I've always liked FedEx Home Delivery best.  I used to order a lot of RC airplanes stuff from IL, and I would get packages via either UPS or FedEx.  FedEx Home Delivery beats UPS ground by 1-3 days every single time.  FedEx even delivers on Sat. sometimes.

Phil's orginal mount sounds like the ticket.  I'm afraid I am too new to know Phil's forum name here, sorry.

Here is Phils member info:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=profile;u=430

Offline MidlifeCrisis

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 09:21:52 PM »
Phil got a hold of me.  Thanks.
'05 GSXR600 (track bike)
'08 Suzuki S83 (selling)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 05:37:49 PM »

Looks great Alpha I mean CDR!  8)   :thumbs:

So why the name change bro?? Inlighten us please...  ???

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 08:55:33 AM »
I'll try to quantify what these brackets do. Tilting the trunk 4.5 deg. up at the rear, brings the top of the backrest (assuming 12" high) about 1-1/4" forward. There is a sliding bracket to which the trunk attaches, that in its rear-most position is about 1-1/8" forward from the stock position.

The sliding bracket offers about 1-1/4" of additional movment to the front. So, the brackets will mount the trunk forward between 2-3/8"  to  3-5/8". These are approximations since I don't have a trunk to measure. The object was to make the backrest more vertical and move it forward for passenger comfort, while at the same time correct an appearance issue with the ribs in the Corbin trunk not being parallel with the ribs in the saddle-bags.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline MidlifeCrisis

« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 02:12:43 PM »
I'll try to quantify what these brackets do. Tilting the trunk 4.5 deg. up at the rear, brings the top of the backrest (assuming 12" high) about 1-1/4" forward. There is a sliding bracket to which the trunk attaches, that in its rear-most position is about 1-1/8" forward from the stock position.

The sliding bracket offers about 1-1/4" of additional movment to the front. So, the brackets will mount the trunk forward between 2-3/8"  to  3-5/8". These are approximations since I don't have a trunk to measure. The object was to make the backrest more vertical and move it forward for passenger comfort, while at the same time correct an appearance issue with the ribs in the Corbin trunk not being parallel with the ribs in the saddle-bags.
Phil, I think you and CDR did quite well.  I can't help but think Corbin's original intent may have been to make the lines parallel, but somehow missed the boat in the production process.
'05 GSXR600 (track bike)
'08 Suzuki S83 (selling)