Author Topic: Baldwin GT or Russell Day Long?  (Read 6559 times)

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
Baldwin GT or Russell Day Long?
« on: July 16, 2012, 06:17:27 PM »
A search only provided minimal results.  I have sold my Mayer and will some day maybe sooner than later be in the market for either a Russell or Baldwin.  I never considered the Baldwin but figured it would not hurt to ask.   Has anyone had both or ridden on both for any amount of time that would allow a fair comparison? 

600 is a lot of money to put into a seat but my wife is really unhappy being back on the stock saddle.  I am fine on a Spencer seat for up to 2 hours but the sliding is killing her and once your passenger sits on a widened Mayer or any other aftermarket seat the stock is no longer gonna cut it.  Also if anyone who wants to post photos of either type I would really like to see theirs.  Thanks for any help.   

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
Re: Baldwin GT or Russell Day Long?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 07:02:32 PM »
After an extremely unpleasant ride to the rally in Eureka Springs on a Corbin, I had the pleasure of sitting on Loren Baldwin's personal bike. Of course it had his creation with piping that matched the accent colors on his bike. I was very impressed with the comfort and style. He had bar extenders as do I, and his seat perfectly accommodated an upright seating position. If I decide to change seats, I think I'll go with the Baldwin.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 11:50:15 PM »
I bought a Russell Day Long (RDL) on this forum from a fellow member.  I am actually the 3rd owner of the seat.  I love the seat, its very comfortable and well worth the money.  Because the RDL was not made for me, I sit a little higher (approx 1.5 – 2 inches) than stock.  I was flat footed with the stock seat, now I’m using the balls of my feet to touch the ground. My feet are on the foot pegs more than they are on the ground... so I can compromise on being flat/sure footed. Wife sat on the stocker and RDL, she knows the difference and likes the RDL.

I want a Corbin and a Smuggler but not ready (can’t afford) to pay for one. The pics are of my 2011 C14
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline concoursbdh

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 05:58:44 AM »
I confirmed with a phone call yesterday to RDL that any seat they do will raisethe seat height 1.5-2" from the stock height.  They did say that they can make the pocket a little deeper and help the feel of sitting in the bike vs on top of the bike.  I opted for the sargent last night...

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 07:57:05 AM »
I bought a Russell Day Long (RDL) on this forum from a fellow member.  I am actually the 3rd owner of the seat.  I love the seat, its very comfortable and well worth the money.  Because the RDL was not made for me, I sit a little higher (approx 1.5 – 2 inches) than stock.  I was flat footed with the stock seat, now I’m using the balls of my feet to touch the ground. My feet are on the foot pegs more than they are on the ground... so I can compromise on being flat/sure footed. Wife sat on the stocker and RDL, she knows the difference and likes the RDL.

I want a Corbin and a Smuggler but not ready (can’t afford) to pay for one. The pics are of my 2011 C14

nice grouping...  :cannon:
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 11:55:19 AM »
It does feel like your sitting on top of the bike, I just thought since the RDL was made for a 1” taller inseam person, I just sat higher.  The stocker has a lower center of gravity and feels sportier, due to the forward slope (I'm sure).  IMO… the RDL changes the “ride and feel” of the bike to a more touring style bike. But the performance is still there, I just let a GSXR 1000 know that!

Congrats on the Sargent, let us know how it works out for you. Did you get the Modular version? Aftermarket seats are costly but comfort is priceless. A RDL can set you back (approx) $750.00

Next farkle – Advanced Sport Touring (AST) Risers and a backrest from either AST or Pirates’ Lair. Just in the research phase on those right now.  Any opinions or comments on those backrest?
2002 Silver C10 - Fast

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 12:41:11 PM »
The  Pirates Lair is top notch, some guy named Phil has a hand in the production.  Also if you contact him he sells rails to place underneath providing fwd and rear adjustability.  Also now a box can be installed on the rack from what I hear.    Thanks for the Russell comments.   If the bars are an issue I will either save up for the Heli Horizons or the Kawasaki Authority 4" risers.

The dual Russell in Vinyl is 555 plus 50 for shipping, leather a bit more. 

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 01:08:48 PM »
I rarely hear complaints on the RDL comfort.  The Russel is very popular with the L-D crowd, but I know my riding won't include much of that so it's overkill for me. Haven't heard any on the Baldwin, either.  For me the choice is Baldwin, just because I like the looks better.  Comfort-wise, I'm fine with only the Spencer seat mods, so the Baldwin would be a huge improvement. 

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 01:58:27 PM »
Heard the same comments from the LD crowd loving the RDL. I mainly ride highway miles back and forth to work, 25 miles one way. But those 25 were "rough in the rear" upon arrival.  Now, no more complaints from my rear end and now the boys no longer feel crowded.

I have the S2 Dual w/Leather inserts, Drivers Heavy Duty Suspension = 625 + $45 = 670
$38 shipping + Ca Sales Tax = 718.57 (approx)
Plus you mail in your seat pan to Russell - $38 + 719= Aye Karamba!!
2002 Silver C10 - Fast

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 02:25:39 PM »
My plan is to use the stock seat for solo local riding and the Custom seat for 2 up and longer distances.   I have come across two members who had the Baldwin and then opted for a Russell, for me I guess the Russell would be a better long distance choice for comfort as I really don't care what others say about its appearance.   Seems like the Baldwin is sort of an all in one and since I will keep a stock seat that is not what I am after. 

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 02:43:24 PM »
What looks cool and stylish usually gives way to comfort and functionability (is that a word??).  I received several negative comments about the looks of the RDL.  Some were from riders and of course the "expert non-riders". 

I just gaff all those comments and all the 2 cent comments about "you should've gotten a BMW, FJR, HD, 1/2 helmet, Sport bike, different color, not for me style bike comments, etc.... they are all haters and jealous anyways!
2002 Silver C10 - Fast

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 04:38:36 PM »
Totally agree.  I understand and respect that everybody buys a bike for their own reasons.  Personally I ride 2 up 90% of the time and made the mistake of owning a Gold Wing previously, which my wife loved and misses.  I love the power of the C14 and spend little time leaned over at 45 degrees.  I like the sporty looks and its lightweight handling compared to the Wing.  Did I mention it costs half of what a Wing does as well?  Basically I want the comforts of the Wing with Sportbike like power and handling.   I had the full Traxxion setup on my Wing and it handled great, I just did not use it enough to justify the payment as it was financed.  I can see the RDL and Heli Horizons down the road.  Again its not for everybody's taste and I fully understand that.   
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 06:16:41 PM by 556ALPHA »

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 05:42:14 PM »
I have a Russel AND a Baldwin for those reasons.  I got my Baldwin before Loren started doing the winged seats.  My Baldwin is my "dang that looks better on the bike" and is just fine for every day riding seat.  It's very comfortable.  But I switch to the RDL when I'm going over 300 miles.  I'm actually thinking about doing long trips with the Baldwin strapped to the bike so I can switch to it when I get to the twisties.

The Russell is ugly as a butt, except when my butt is the only thing looking at it, hours into the ride.  Then it looks DREAMY.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 09:23:13 AM »
Basically I want the comforts of the Wing with Sportbike like power and handling. 

+1
The heli Horizons, Corbin seat, and highway pegs on bathroom bars achieved that result for me.
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George