Author Topic: Kipass Key Push/ No Icon Problem solved  (Read 4393 times)

Offline speedracersworld

• 817-821-0448
    • Speedracersworld
Kipass Key Push/ No Icon Problem solved
« on: October 22, 2015, 10:37:38 PM »
My 08 started giving problems with the KiPass & not showing the "turn key" Icon when depressed. I read many posts about having good batteries, cleaning it with electrical spray, blowing it out with air or even hitting it with a mallet. (DO NOT HIT IT WITH A MALLET!) It's a delicate plastic switch! Yes, I did them all but to no avail so I decided to take mine apart to see what makes it work/ not work. Temporary fix was unplugging/ plugging the grey connector. Another was to remove the solenoid cover and depress the white plastic cam to unlock the key but that requires leaving the cover off; not practical or secure. There is a small micro-switch under the key surround Kipass cover. This switch works just like a brake light switch & energizes the solenoid along with the Icon from the ECU. There is a round plare with a tab that pushes on the micro-switch. On my bike, the micro-switch cap was hanging up due to road grit/ grain of sand/ gravel & not allowing it to release. This would not send the message to energize the solenoid, display the icon to turn the key. It's just a bad design because all the dust, grit & water collects & runs down the gap between the Kipass surround & key. I removed the upper tried clamp then the ignition switch assembly (requires drilling & extracting 2 mount bolts) & disassembled it. I took the micro-switch cap off (carefully not to lose the tiny  return spring) & sanded the burrs of the cap caused by the sand/ gravel. Cleaned it up with electtical contact cleaner. I reassembled the ignition switch, reinstalled it on the triple clamp, plugged it all in and tested it several times & it's working great!. Here are some videos for those interested & having the same issue with their C14's. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTxTvWenPuSx9FvXezu4zlQ
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:17:56 AM by speedracersworld »
There's more to Life than the Mainstream Media or "Reality" TV! Question Everything!

2008 Atomic Silver C-14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Kipass Key Push/ No Icon Problem solved
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 03:52:10 AM »
Thanks and we'll definitely appreciate anything else you can add...

Don't forget that we do have a temporary bypass by B.D.F.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=6976.0
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 04:34:22 AM »
do you have the updated spring in your 08 for the switch ??

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 06:14:42 AM »
Yes, would definitely appreciate pics. My 2010 has been flawless for 60,000 mile so far. But I'm assuming that one day it will have the problem.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 07:21:00 AM »
For more of a visual on the switch..... http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/kipass
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline speedracersworld

• 817-821-0448
    • Speedracersworld
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 02:59:26 PM »
Thanks "The Pope" for the link.
There's more to Life than the Mainstream Media or "Reality" TV! Question Everything!

2008 Atomic Silver C-14

Offline speedracersworld

• 817-821-0448
    • Speedracersworld
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 03:08:52 PM »
Where can I get the updated spring? I called my local dealer, Grapevine Kawasaki, but they had no idea of the issue or of any recalls or service bulletins. His recommendation was to replace the ignition switch assembly!  $$$$$! I believe that since I have it fixed & know the cause of the issue, if it acts up again, I know what to do.

2008 Atomic Silver C-14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 05:17:13 AM »
When this first started to happen they (Kwackers) came out with a heavier duty spring but there isn't a discrete part number for it.  If they've beefed it up, then it's in the new ignition assembly.  This has happened to me twice but between banging on it and swearing I got it going again.  Every now and then I take the key out (sign of the cross) and blow it out with compressed air.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline speedracersworld

• 817-821-0448
    • Speedracersworld
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 10:26:16 PM »
I stretched the spring out a bit before reinstallation. I also sanded the burrs off the cap and maybe a few thousandths off too so there's a bit more gap between the switch cap & ignition housing. I'll still make a cover for it to keep the crud out.

2008 Atomic Silver C-14