Author Topic: Why don't motorcycles....  (Read 5683 times)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
Why don't motorcycles....
« on: May 29, 2017, 04:38:28 PM »
In places such as the USA & Europe have the sidestand/kickstand fitted to the right hand side of the bike as this would allow you to dismount more easily away from traffic?

Here in the UK/(Plus OZ & Japan etc) we're ok as we get off to the left.

And why do we drive on the left /mount a bike from the left ?

Because it's the right way to do it , well it was back in the days of knights with swords and horses anyways.

You mounted your horse from the left so that your sword (which was hanging on your left) didn't get all tangled up and you rode on the left so that you could use your weapon against your enemies.

Off to bed on that thought :)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Why don't motorcycles....
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 05:10:41 PM »
 We don't need no stinkin' swords now that we have automatic weapons we can throttle and brake with our right hand spray bullets with our left.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 05:42:11 PM »
that's as may be but the question still remains, why if you drive on the right dont bikes have kickstands on the right so you can get off towards the kerb? :D

(Speaking of guns didn't the old Police Indians used to have the throttle on the left so the gun could be fired from the right hand?)
--

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 06:27:03 PM »
The right side is often a ditch which is not conducive with supporting a motorcycle with a kickstand on the right.

I can not answer the question about the Indian throttle.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 06:32:19 PM »
you have ditches in cities & built up areas ;)
--

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 06:44:55 PM »
I don't ride in such areas.

I guess if we rode on the wrong side of the road a right side kickstand would make sense due to the opposite road camber.

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 07:11:03 PM »
uh, my kick stand is located on the left side. I think the reason for this is because sometimes there's a drainage gully next to the road. if you pull over to the side and dismount on the right, you might fall into it?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 04:57:19 AM »
We don't need no stinkin' swords now that we have automatic weapons we can throttle and brake with our right hand spray bullets with our left.

>:(

that's as may be but the question still remains, why if you drive on the right dont bikes have kickstands on the right so you can get off towards the kerb? :D

(Speaking of guns didn't the old Police Indians used to have the throttle on the left so the gun could be fired from the right hand?)

That's a myth...

https://occhiolungo.wordpress.com/2010/05/02/riding-an-early-bike-1-myths-about-indians-and-guns/

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 06:22:15 AM »
I have said many times that there should just be two kickstands, one on both sides.  Then you can do whatever you want.

Even better, I invented a better type of kickstand option (conceptually, not physically)- an extending, ratcheting kickstand on the right.  That way two kickstands can be used at once when wanted, creating an extremely stable and un-tippable situation that works with any location or need.  Stop, flip down the left stand, lean on it, then flip down the short right stand and push it to the ground, extending it (click, click, click) then get off.   To leave, press a release and the right stand retracts, then you flip it up, then upright the bike and flip up the left kickstand.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 07:34:53 AM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 06:25:24 AM »
sounds like a complicated center stand

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 06:32:20 AM »
sounds like a complicated center stand

Nope.  It is simple, easier and faster to use, and far more useful.  A center stand only works on flat, strong, perfect surfaces and is actually less stable (in most cases) than even a single side stand.  The dual stand would work on most any surface and is extremely stable (creating four, widely-placed points of contact).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 07:27:01 AM »
Nope.  It is simple, easier and faster to use, and far more useful.

... and non-existent.

Get to work! ... or it's all just talk. And if you're right but somebody else makes it, then we'll have to hear you complain about how somebody stole your million dollar idea.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 07:33:58 AM »
... and non-existent.

Unfortunately

Get to work! ... or it's all just talk. And if you're right but somebody else makes it, then we'll have to hear you complain about how somebody stole your million dollar idea.

It's just talk.  I can't know if someone else thought of the idea before me, but I would be glad if I could just buy such a stand somewhere :)  I am no mechanical engineer, so making it myself really isn't an option.  I think the biggest problem in our case would be the exhaust midpipe being in the way on the right side.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 08:03:25 AM »
Unfortunately

It's just talk.  I can't know if someone else thought of the idea before me, but I would be glad if I could just buy such a stand somewhere :)  I am no mechanical engineer, so making it myself really isn't an option.  I think the biggest problem in our case would be the exhaust midpipe being in the way on the right side.

Thats not a problem, it's just an engineering challenge after all if that was a problem then the ZX (for example) wouldn't have a side stand ;)
--

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 06:21:14 AM »
  I can't know if someone else thought of the idea before me, but I would be glad if I could just buy such a stand somewhere..

I did think of it before you, but I didn't build one either. :(

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 08:13:00 AM »
I don't see how it would help.  Bikes tip over when the sidestand sinks into the surface and they lean further and further to the left.  Your right extendable stand would just end up pointing at the sky, totally useless.  Maybe if both stands were extendable so the bike could be upright and not cause any pressure on either stand.

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 08:46:30 AM »
We park on the right side of the road & if the kickstand was on the right it would not let you park as close to a curb. As some one else posted there is also sometimes drainage culverts on the side of the road. You would have to park the bike further into the road because most roads away from the city have dirt/sand/grass on the side & you would want to put the kickstand down on the pavement.   
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 03:05:52 PM »
I don't see how it would help.  Bikes tip over when the sidestand sinks into the surface and they lean further and further to the left. 

While sink-in is a cause of tipover, most tipovers are caused by someone tampering with your bike (like trying to sit on it, or turning the steering straight) or pushing on it, or bumping it (with car, falling on it in person, leaving on it to stand, etc).   Never have any of my bikes been over due to sink-in.  But they have gone down twice (and my friend's 4 times) due to tampering and bumping.  Having a double stand would help.  It would also help when it is NOT leaning much on the left, so it could tip over in the other direction.  Nothing is perfect, though.

Interestingly, if the right kickstand was hinged to raise/lower from the FRONT and not the back (like the left kickstand is), it would also help protect against rear-bumping.... Hmm....

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 03:09:16 PM »
Weird, mine has almost tipped over twice because I forgot to put down a sidestand plate and the ground got soft.  I've never had a problem with anyone knocking it over. YMMV indeed.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 06:59:52 PM »
A  stock C10 on it's side stand  with a leaky rear tire will fall over on the right side when the tire goes flat. 
So when you get a flat rear tire  on a C10 you cannot use the side stand on a level surface and you cannot get it up on the center stand.
Mean Streak rear wheel upgrade fixes that.
I have seen wind pick a heavy bike up and over on its right side.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle