Author Topic: Warranty for a 2016 Worth the $$  (Read 2346 times)

Offline Surf Concours

Warranty for a 2016 Worth the $$
« on: July 22, 2018, 07:23:49 AM »
I probably only ride 2-3k annually, change my fluids regularly. Is this worth the coin?

4 Years-$704.00
3 Years-$594.00
2 Years-$462.00
1 Year-$418.00

Offline FTB530

Re: Warranty for a 2016 Worth the $$
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 07:25:47 AM »
You can buy a 3 year plan for less then $400, I don’t know how to post a link to the information but it is out there and I am sure someone here will reply who knows more then I, is it worth it? I will be buying it soon!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 07:29:36 AM »
Warranty for a 2016 Worth the $$

A factory extended warranty?  Absolutely.

I probably only ride 2-3k annually, change my fluids regularly. Is this worth the coin?

4 Years-$704.00
3 Years-$594.00
2 Years-$462.00
1 Year-$418.00

That is not a factory warranty, that is some stealer/dealer made up thing.  AVOID.  Bike comes with 3 years, then it is only sold as 3 years additional, then 3 years again.

Factory warranty +3 years: $393

Buy it now.  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=225.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Charliedog

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 08:29:56 AM »
+1 to what Max said. 

Only the manufacturer can issue a warranty.  Everything else after that is just a service contract, which is basically an insurance policy against part failure.  That policy will only cover what it specifically says it will cover. 

Based on my experience as a service adviser in the in the car business, service contracts NOT from the manufacturer are a hassle for ALL involved.  Only buy one from the manufacturer.  Good luck.   
CharlieDog
Bristol, TN

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 08:34:43 AM »
+1 to what Max said. 

Only the manufacturer can issue a warranty.  Everything else after that is just a service contract, which is basically an insurance policy against part failure.  That policy will only cover what it specifically says it will cover. 

And typically only good at that one dealer.  AND non-transferable.  AND there is nobody to "escalate" issues to when something goes wrong.  I think they are extremely dubious.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 09:22:35 AM »

4 Years-$704.00
3 Years-$594.00
2 Years-$462.00
1 Year-$418.00

Like others have said about the one you mention, No.
The factory 3 year extension, yes.
When I needed mine it was there for me. 

Only 2-3k annually?...maybe you purchased the wrong bike?...but to each their own.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 09:36:39 AM »
Only 2-3k annually?...maybe you purchased the wrong bike?...but to each their own.

I ride about 5,000 a year, but it would be far less if I didn't have someone to ride with every weekend.  Although a sport touring bike excels at long distance, it also excels at short or infrequent trips, too- having sport and comfort.  So it really doesn't have much to do with miles as much as "fit"- I wouldn't be able to ride a sport bike (ergonomically), wouldn't like a more upright naked kind, and would rather not ride at all if forced to use a cruiser... so the Concours is the best match (although a bit heavy/big for me).

Offline jwh20

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 11:14:32 AM »
Contact Ultimate Cycle at sales@UltimateCycle.net.  At last report their price for the 3 year extension on the warranty was $370.  It's a GREAT deal!  While you may never need it, all it takes is one, relatively minor, problem and you've paid for it and then some.   

Offline katata1100

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 10:34:20 AM »
Years ago, my mom bought a Lincoln Continental and got aftermarket warranty with warranty gold. This was much cheaper than factory one and jeez, she used it a lot , it was a good thing she bought it.
Maybe she used it too much?
A few years after she got rid of that car, warranty gold went under, and all those policies became worthless .
These companies come and go all the time . That’s enough reason to stay away from them.

Offline PH14

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 11:31:12 AM »

I've reread my post, and I don't like the way it sounds, like maybe I was being critical. Not my intention at all.
If that's all you have time to ride, or if you just want to own a C14, then it's certainly fine with me. I was just thinking
that maybe a lighter bike that isn't made for longer trips might be a better fit and get more use.........I'm just digging myself deeper here aren't I.....
......I'm going to stop now.

Surf C' you just go enjoy your bike any ol' way you want to!  :thumbs: 8)

I do however recommend the Kawasaki extended warranty for your piece of mind and resale value.
Once you fall out of warranty your bike's value drops even faster than the current norm which is already way too fast for this quality bike.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 03:27:12 PM »
I've reread my post, and I don't like the way it sounds

:)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 04:54:17 PM »
Good advice and correct except that I believe one can buy a factory warranty in 1, 2 or 3 year increments (though definitely not 4 years). Not sure why anyone would buy a one- year extended warranty but it is possible- I think.

Brian

A factory extended warranty?  Absolutely.

That is not a factory warranty, that is some stealer/dealer made up thing.  AVOID.  Bike comes with 3 years, then it is only sold as 3 years additional, then 3 years again.

Factory warranty +3 years: $393

Buy it now.  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=225.0
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 06:35:47 PM »
the current KPP (formerly known as GTPP), was a 36 month package deal, either from Kaw, or thru a dealer.

a) can be purchased when a current warranty is still active
b) can be re instituted 2 more times, for a total of 9 years total protection from date the bike was sold off the dealer floor, as 'new'.
c) can be transferred to anyone buying the bike, thru re-listing the bike thru the Kaw computer system of owners via make and model VIN.

1, 2, and 4 year 'plans????' ain't KPP.

https://www.kawasaki.com/Warranty/Category?cm_re=GLOBALNAV-_-OWNERCENTER-_-WARRANTY#motorcycle

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 07:26:44 PM »
Hmmm... I don't recall it being available as 1 or 2 years, but perhaps I just had no interest in those options so I don't remember them.... because... why bother?  I do know that my 9 years of warranty ends in about 1.5 years and I wish I could add yet another 3 at the current pricing.  Oh well.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 08:27:28 PM »
  I do know that my 9 years of warranty ends in about 1.5 years and I wish I could add yet another 3 at the current pricing. 

Ditto. March of 2020 for me.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 09:15:33 PM »
I've reread my post, and I don't like the way it sounds, like maybe I was being critical. Not my intention at all.
If that's all you have time to ride, or if you just want to own a C14, then it's certainly fine with me. I was just thinking
that maybe a lighter bike that isn't made for longer trips might be a better fit and get more use.........I'm just digging myself deeper here aren't I.....
......I'm going to stop now.

Surf C' you just go enjoy your bike any ol' way you want to!  :thumbs: 8)

I do however recommend the Kawasaki extended warranty for your piece of mind and resale value.
Once you fall out of warranty your bike's value drops even faster than the current norm which is already way too fast for this quality bike.

If it is any consolation, I was thinking the same thing, but couldn’t figure out a way to say where it wouldn’t come across the wrong way.

To the OP, what keeps you from riding it more than you do? Just curious.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline Surf Concours

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2018, 08:50:30 AM »
Family, Weather, Work, other Fun Stuff. Thanks for Everyone’s input! I forgot to mention I just want the badest MC.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 07:26:17 AM by Surf Concours »

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 10:46:45 AM »
Family, Weather, Work, other Fun Stuff. Thanks for Everyone’s input!

There is “other fun stuff” besides riding?!?!

Just joking.

Definitely get in touch with Ultimate Cycle for your warranty tho! That’s where I bought my bike and extended warranty.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike