Author Topic: What wires are these?  (Read 3000 times)

Offline blue72beetle

What wires are these?
« on: August 11, 2018, 05:28:24 PM »
I just picked up a 2010 C14. I'm un-doing the fender eliminator the P.O. did, and found these two wires that don't seem to belong anywhere. One is yellow/black, the other is black. It runs alongside the plate light.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: What wires are these?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 05:39:23 PM »
have you got this?

Offline blue72beetle

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 05:44:58 PM »
No, was trying to find one of those, thanks for that.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 06:08:44 PM »
please don't take this lightly, and please don't take this as a condescending comment, I HIGHLY suggest you get a FSM, either from some download source on ebay, or a hard copy, before messing further and having to come back, and have us walk you thru these things... From what I am seeing, you have in hand, the pair of wires that invoke "onboard diagnostics".. don't plug anything into them, probe them, or mess with them further.. just let them lay as they are.

incorrectly messing with them may dispose and render prior error codes to disappear, and make for some other issues I will not go into now.

do a little 'searching' on ebay, and get a manual for your bike... read thru it, and follow the logic it has contained...
I can't link a source for a manual, as we do not do that here, and frown upon those that do try to do it.. it's all about copyrights, so I hope you understand...
do a search, and you can get what you need online, for cheap. all I can say about that.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 04:00:31 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 07:34:55 PM »
please don't take this lightly, and please don't take this as a condescending comment, I HIGHLY suggest you get a FSM, either from some download source on ebay, or a hard copy, before messing further

I would suggest that too, but also point out that *any* downloaded version of the Concours service manual is illegal, since Kawasaki doesn't license or sell anything but printed books through dealers.  Really, considering the cost of the bike and parts and the value that the manual provides, it isn't unreasonable to just buy it from the dealer.  I do this with every vehicle I have ever owned, almost immediately (ironically, some are ONLY available as PDF, which is fine).

I can't link a source for a manual, as we do not do that here, and frown upon those that do try to do it.. it's all about copyrights, so I hope you understand...
do a search, and you can get what you need online, for cheap. all I can say about that.

Or just buy it legally :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jwh20

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 08:08:56 PM »
Those leads are not any "spooky" diagnostic connectors as some peoplemight try to lead you to believe.  The leads you've shown are simply switched 12V and ground that are on the same circuit as the 12V accessory socket on the dash as you can see from the wiring diagram.

The diagnostic connectors, and there are two of them, are near there but not the same and it's highly unlikely you will do anything by messing with them since they only speak "KDS3".  One is connected to the ECU (the black one) and the other connects to the ABS controller (the translucent one).

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 08:18:26 PM »
Those leads are not any "spooky" diagnostic connectors as some peoplemight try to lead you to believe.  The leads you've shown are simply switched 12V and ground that are on the same circuit as the 12V accessory socket on the dash as you can see from the wiring diagram.

I am pretty sure I used those to power my Admore lightbar :)  It was very nice of Kawasaki to supply leads on the rear and the front... although they don't supply much power (5A if memory serves).

(P.S., trusting MY memory seems to be increasingly dangerous as time goes on, which is one reason I keep so many notes and logs.)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jwh20

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 05:53:25 AM »
I am pretty sure I used those to power my Admore lightbar :)  It was very nice of Kawasaki to supply leads on the rear and the front... although they don't supply much power (5A if memory serves).

(P.S., trusting MY memory seems to be increasingly dangerous as time goes on, which is one reason I keep so many notes and logs.)

It's 10A actually.  But keep in mind that those 10A are shared between the front accessory socket and these lines.  Note also that these are switched, via a relay, so there will not be power at either point with the bike switched off.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 05:56:16 AM »
As others have said, those are accessory leads for your use. 4mm bullet connectors (or 5/32", same size in English units), 10 amp fused. The black / yellow wire is ground, the other hot of course. BTW: ALL black / yellow wires on the bike are ground.

Brian

I just picked up a 2010 C14. I'm un-doing the fender eliminator the P.O. did, and found these two wires that don't seem to belong anywhere. One is yellow/black, the other is black. It runs alongside the plate light.

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 06:18:31 AM »
It's 10A actually.  But keep in mind that those 10A are shared between the front accessory socket and these lines.  Note also that these are switched, via a relay, so there will not be power at either point with the bike switched off.

Just for arguments sake I thought the gen 1 was 10 amp and the gen 2 changed to 5 amp.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 06:25:49 AM »
Just for arguments sake I thought the gen 1 was 10 amp and the gen 2 changed to 5 amp.

That is my memory, too... topic has come up several times.  Of course, one COULD change the fuse, but there has to be some good reason they quickly changed it to 5A and kept it that way...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 06:34:02 AM »
Probably needed a quicker blowing fuse for those who didn't read the owners manual.  ::)

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 06:45:00 AM »
Probably needed a quicker blowing fuse for those who didn't read the owners manual.  ::)
Or they used a smaller gauge wire.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 07:01:20 AM »
For what reason?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 07:35:16 AM »
For what reason?

It seems unlikely they would change the wiring and more likely they had some actual/known/proven/warranty problem with 10A causing failures.  Perhaps a wire or connector or splice was just at the edge of being able to handle 10A total and so they just took the safe route and went down the next notch.  Even though 10A might be safe 90% of the time and 9A would have been fine 99.9% of the time, fuses are typically only readily available in 5A denominations.  All speculation on my part.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 07:50:13 AM »
If you look at a 2008-2009 wiring diagram (which is posted above) it shows 10A.  If you look at a 2010+ diagram you do see it now rated at 5A.  Why?  A closer look at the wiring diagram appears to show that they shared some wiring between the AUX circuit and the 10A grip warmer circuit.  So I suggest that rather than up the wire gauge to accommodate 20A or run a separate circuit for the grips warmers, they "split" the difference (sort of) and reduced the AUX circuit to 5A.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 08:55:05 AM »
There you go...makes sense.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 09:50:51 AM »
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 10:06:04 AM »
  Why?  A closer look at the wiring diagram appears to show that they shared some wiring between the AUX circuit and the 10A grip warmer circuit.  So I suggest that rather than up the wire gauge to accommodate 20A or run a separate circuit for the grips warmers, they "split" the difference (sort of) and reduced the AUX circuit to 5A.

Good eye there.  :thumbs:
 It appears to be the ground circuit that is shared. Perhaps if one were to supply and independent ground wire from frame to grip warmer adjustment dial that the accessory fuse could be safely returned to 10 amp or 7.5 amp. Then again, it may have nothing to do with the shared ground wire and it could just be that the addition of the grips to the overall circuit under certain conditions (everything gets coincidentally turned on at once i.e. ABS pump, grip warmer, cooling fans, something hooked into acc circuit, etc.) would stress the overall capacity of the main 30 amp fuse and associated main power white wire.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 04:05:44 PM »

The diagnostic connectors, and there are two of them, are near there but not the same and it's highly unlikely you will do anything by messing with them since they only speak "KDS3".  One is connected to the ECU (the black one) and the other connects to the ABS controller (the translucent one).

sorry for my 'panic mode' statement... I agree, those are (after looking closer) the Aux leads....
But the pair I did note, a Black/Yellow and a Gray lead, does live back near there, both leads are 'female' with insulated plug covers, and ARE used to manually invoke ABS error codes on Gen I models, by 'jumping' them with a wire or paperclip...
again, my bad for being hasty.
the wires I was thinking of are in the pic below.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..