Author Topic: E15 has been approved for year round use  (Read 2200 times)

Offline katata1100

E15 has been approved for year round use
« on: May 31, 2019, 05:29:27 PM »
Just great! To help force the consumer to buy more ethanol from big corn, Trump has signed this order. I just read an article claiming it’s a win for the consumer as it will make gas become cheaper.
Really ? And no mention to the lower hp and mpg . I guess I should feel better that the epa says it’s safe to use in all cars made after 2001. But what about my ‘96 Impala Ss? Should I just scrap it? My recently restored ‘91 Katana 1100? Scrap that too?
Being more forum related, is e15 approved for use in the C14?

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
Re: E15 has been approved for year round use
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 05:39:47 PM »
It’s not approved for use in my C14!

...or my Magnum.

... or my M109R.

...or even my lawn mower for that matter!!!!
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 05:53:15 PM »
I know the economy is not as good as straight gas but, I thought ethanol was able to produce more power.
Not advocating e85. I think people should have to look for ethanol if they want it. I can’t get pure gas without traveling about 50 miles one way unless you count AVGAS 100LL from the local small airport which smells amazing mixed with maxima 927 and burned every rotation of the crank in any size bore. Smells good in the Vmax too😇
Lacking an O2 sensor my 1400 could smell sweet too.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 05:59:38 PM »
According to the epa, e15 can not be used in on or off road motorcycles :
https://www.epa.gov/fuels-registration-reporting-and-compliance-help/e15-fuel-registration

Now I’m sure someone will say just find a station that sells e10 or even alc free. Easier said than done .
In my area, there are only two stations ( 40 miles apart) that sell E0. It is regular 87 ( not approved by Kawa) and for reasons related to the gov, cost a little more than e10 91 octane.
I can see station after station only carrying e15 gas and where would that leave us c14 owners? When I’m out slabbing 12 hours a day, the last thing I want to do is worry about finding a station with real gas they my bike can run on. Believe it or not, e15 isn’t enough to satisfy big corn; they want everyone to be forced to buy E30!
Alcohol has less energy than gas. There are studies that show a loss of 3-5% hp and mpg with E10 vs pure gas. Alcohol does have higher octane, but when blended with 85 oct gas to get 87, that e10 87 will have less hp and mpg than pure gas. You can get more power out e85 if you modify your motor with large injectors and more compression.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 05:00:01 AM »
Download the app.

2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 06:27:25 AM »
I know the economy is not as good as straight gas but, I thought ethanol was able to produce more power.
Not advocating e85. I think people should have to look for ethanol if they want it. I can’t get pure gas without traveling about 50 miles one way unless you count AVGAS 100LL from the local small airport which smells amazing mixed with maxima 927 and burned every rotation of the crank in any size bore. Smells good in the Vmax too😇
Lacking an O2 sensor my 1400 could smell sweet too.

You need to do some reading man. Ethanal has LESS power per gallon than does gasoline. Even mixed with gas, less power!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 11:58:15 AM »
Download the app.

No point here.  1.5 million people area, thousands of square miles.  0 gas stations with pure gas.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline katata1100

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 10:29:28 AM »
Generally , when I’m slabbing, my goal is to reach my destination , which might be a super 8 adjacent to a brew pub. I don’t want to replace that with the only ethanol free station in the state.
There is one ethanol free station in my area and I actually tuned my ‘91 katana 1100 to run off it. Using e10 makes it a tad lean and I can feel the difference in power.
At the very least, there should be a disclaimer at the pump stating that using e15 will cause 5-8% loss in hp/mpg over pier gas and 3% loss in hp/mpg over E10. Also should have warning that it should not be used in pre 2001 cars and never in a motorcycle or lawn mower.
Otherwise it is federal endorsement of misleading the consumer.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 11:05:37 AM »
I have not seen one pump that forces you to use E15 in VA thus far.  E10 is always available (so far) as is non-ethanol fuel.  I can use E15 in both my 16 Tacoma and 16 Indian Roadmaster.  I have tried it in the truck and it gets less fuel mileage.  I would put up with that if it was significantly cheaper, but it's not.  So far E15 is not an issue for me and they sky is not falling.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 12:23:39 PM »
I think the main problem, and perhaps the one that the AMA has been complaining about.....is that sooner or later some sleepy truck driver is going to pump the E10 underground tank full of E15. Or perhaps he isn't sleepy, just doesn't give a crap and ran out of E10 so rather than lose money he'll fill the tank with E15 to keep his revenue up. In other words, having one more variety of gasoline, plus diesel to keep track of, sooner or later what's coming out of the pump will not match the label on the pump. If it's one of the E10 octane varieties or pure gas, no biggie. If it's diesel, perhaps the filling procedure for a motorcycle which usually requires closer monitoring than for a car or truck, hopefully the motorcyclist will immediately notice a different smell or color (on road diesel is dyed green in many areas). However if it's E15 coming out of an E10 marked pump it's hard to detect and most likely going to be problematic going down the road of the bike's life. 

https://transportationnation.com/truck-drivers-gas-station-fuel-delivery-gone-wrong-causes-mess-for-motorists/

Offline katata1100

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 08:23:27 AM »
My rough math says that all that is bad with e15 will be 50% more than e10. When it’s below 50 degrees, my katana 1100 will be that much harder to start, along with worse mpg and hp.
I think this is a big deal. Go west of the Mississippi and you’ll see that probably at least 90% of all stations ONLY sell e10. Doesn’t matter whether it’s reg or prem, it is cut with 10% alc. It should be expected that these same stations will switch to E15. Its great if you live in a state where you have good access to non alcohol adulterated gas but...
The C14 ( as proclaimed in Kawa lit) is a transcontinental tourer. It’s designed for long trips- touring .
If there is not a reasonable supply of e10 or better gasoline across the country, then this bike has been neutered, to being nothing more than a grocery getter.0

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 06:46:52 PM »
The only reason I see to allow e15 year around is to appease the corn farmers due to the trade war. On the other hand, crop loss due to floods and rain this year should be a reason to use the available corn for feed and food instead of fuel. The only gain is political.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 08:01:29 PM »
Anyone remember these commercials?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYHoeIvb8I4&app=desktop

I remember the commercials. I also know Gasohol disappeared not too long after it was introduced. Anyone know why they stopped making it back then?
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 09:20:36 PM »
Anyone remember these commercials?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYHoeIvb8I4&app=desktop

I remember the commercials. I also know Gasohol disappeared not too long after it was introduced. Anyone know why they stopped making it back then?

They didn't, the name just changed to "e10, e15, e85, etc". From the video description, "The term gasohol was defined, for the first time, in the Energy Tax Act of 1978.  Gasohol was defined as a blend of gasoline with at least 10 percent alcohol by volume,".

As to the alcohol makes more power thing, it does. IF you increase compression or boost, advance the timing because of the high octane, increase the fuel flow rate and other tuning needs. BUT, it's going to get lousy MPG compared to gasoline. Look at the NHRA drag racing alcohol classes and Indy cars. Different strokes...

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 10:36:36 PM »
Maybe they didn’t totally stop making it, but it virtually disappeared from most all gas stations for a long time before you started seeing labels on the pumps saying “may contain up to 10% ethanol” then finally “E10”. There were many years where you didn’t have to worry about the effects of ethanol on carburetors like you do now. 
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 10:45:10 PM »
There were many years where you didn’t have to worry about the effects of ethanol on carburetors like you do now.

I am pretty sure that E10 is what destroyed my ZRX.  Three times I had shops "repair" the carbs and finally replaced the bike (with the Concours) and that was a major factor.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 08:29:38 AM »
Maybe they didn’t totally stop making it, but it virtually disappeared from most all gas stations for a long time before you started seeing labels on the pumps saying “may contain up to 10% ethanol” then finally “E10”. There were many years where you didn’t have to worry about the effects of ethanol on carburetors like you do now.

Yep. Did they keep it going in the corn belt states to support the farmers? I should know as I lived in Illinois during that period, but... Mind like a steel sieve...    :banghead:  :rotflmao:

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 12:16:47 PM »
Just great! To help force the consumer to buy more ethanol from big corn, Trump has signed this order. I just read an article claiming it’s a win for the consumer as it will make gas become cheaper.
Really ? And no mention to the lower hp and mpg . I guess I should feel better that the epa says it’s safe to use in all cars made after 2001. But what about my ‘96 Impala Ss? Should I just scrap it? My recently restored ‘91 Katana 1100? Scrap that too?
Being more forum related, is e15 approved for use in the C14?

Totally sucks! I'm moving to Oklahoma next week. Oklahoma has many positive and negative attributes but one of the major positive attributes for me is the fact that they sell real gas almost everywhere in the Oklahoma City area. E0 thank you very much! Stop forcing me to buy ADM's corn squeezing's! I haven't had a chance to try it in my Multistrada yet but can feel the difference in my 2011 Nissan Titan.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 03:15:51 PM »
Yep. Did they keep it going in the corn belt states to support the farmers? I should know as I lived in Illinois during that period, but... Mind like a steel sieve...    :banghead:  :rotflmao:

I grew up in farm country (central Illinois). I remember seeing Gasahol in the 70’s, then it disappeared sometime in the 80’s. Started driving when I was 11 out on and around the farm. Got my drivers license and first car in 86.  I can’t remember if it was the late 90’s or early 2000’s when the “May contain up to 10%”  labels came out and they were everywhere in no time!
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2019, 05:09:13 PM »
Wasn't gasahol supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread when they phased out lead? Then to much uproar because of the corrosive nature caused it to loose favor as manufacturers tried to catch up with rubber parts and seals. They were using MTBE as a stopgap oxygenator and to raise octane until it was found in to many drinking water wells. Lo and behold E10 to the rescue which brings us to where we are today ... burning what we should be drinking.

PS...ILL-inois still sucks!