Author Topic: THe split  (Read 3267 times)

Offline ConnerNA

• Why do they clap for the daily double?
    • BBQ Basics
THe split
« on: July 12, 2011, 09:31:53 PM »
So I kinda get the impression that the split from COG to ZGGTR was kind of bitter???

What is the skinny on this and is anyone a member of COG? I can't see paying money for a web forum they try and act like joining is some kind of great deal but I guess I don't see it....I had the best FREE support system for my Roadstar via a free open forum much like this. If bandwidth or server space started to become an issue we all took care of it via our checkbook or those of us in an IT role that could help out. These types of systems seem to work better IMO.

Anyway just wanted to get story and see if everyone recommend joining COG.

Offline Strawboss

Re: THe split
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 10:27:15 PM »
Lots of members here, a majority I'd say. Read the agreement note at the top of the page. Its a little more involved than that. And the club is more than just some free tech advice on a forum. I'm not too good at explaining it, I'm sure someone will chime in. I recommend joining COG.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 02:48:01 AM »
Lots of members here, a majority I'd say. Read the agreement note at the top of the page. Its a little more involved than that. And the club is more than just some free tech advice on a forum. I'm not too good at explaining it, I'm sure someone will chime in. I recommend joining COG.
+1, Great folks, rallies and Nationals. Plus tons of info. Sure, this site rocks, so does the COG..
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline ssmith

• Concours Owners Group
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 06:00:02 AM »

+1. Dave hit the nail on the head. It is kinda hard to explain. I've been a member over ten years and still can't explain it. I've made some long term, close friendships through COG. Good people. Great events. My suggestion is to attend a rally and find out.   In fact, come to the national rally in Vermont, look me up, and I'll buy you a cold beverage.

COG was started pre-internet, so it is and has been much more than just a forum. It's a bonifide AMA chartered club, and while all work is performed by club volunteers to keep costs incredibly low, the annual dues you mention goes to cover the cost of member benefits like the member directory, magazines, newsletters, event subsidies, etc.  The club's forum continues to be available for all to use at no cost.

There really no need to continually rehash Rick's decision to return control of the concours.org domain back to the club. The agreement Dave referenced speaks for itself.

Steve Smith, COG #3184
Get your own official COG # by joining the Concours Owners Group, the premier sport-touring club for Concours enthusiasts and sport-touring riders.  Click here to learn more about club membership

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 06:45:58 AM »

I can't see paying money for a web forum they try and act like joining is some kind of great deal but I guess I don't see it....

Anyway just wanted to ... see if everyone recommend joining COG.

There's 2 sides to the concours community. There's the online side, and the actual human side. Sure we come to the forums day to day for information about our bikes, and for some that's all they want. If you want to really improve your bike, it's often from seeing / sitting on / playing with / riding someone elses bike. Can't do that on a forum. So there's COG. COG started in about 89, when there was no internet. At that time, the information network was by the quarterly newsletter and phone calls to other members. Of course rides and ralleys grew from that, and then friendships are made. What's surprising is how like-minded many of us are so you actually meet cool folks who you enjoy seeing and hanging out with. A forum alone can't ever do that. I suggest you find a COG function and attend it. See if you like the folks and fit in. After that you may consider joining. I'll also mention that BOTH of the online forums originated because of COG. Every day you check in and get some info that helps you with your bike, you owe a debt of gratitude to those who came before us and started COG. HTH, Steve

Offline ConnerNA

• Why do they clap for the daily double?
    • BBQ Basics
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 06:58:56 AM »
VERY well put guys...I guess I should not have rolled my eyes at COG like I did at first. Thanks again for the info and hope to see you all at a rally!

ssmith I should be buying you the drink!

This site has given me such a warm welcome and it good to know that COG will as well.

Do most of you keep the same name on the COG forum?

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 07:28:03 AM »
VERY well put guys...I guess I should not have rolled my eyes at COG like I did at first. Thanks again for the info and hope to see you all at a rally!

ssmith I should be buying you the drink!

This site has given me such a warm welcome and it good to know that COG will as well.

Do most of you keep the same name on the COG forum?
I would definitely recommend joining.  I am a member and yes I have the same forum name on both sites as do many people
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 10:15:34 AM »
I am a member of both as well.
Same name.
Joining the forum is free, but I still pay my dues to be a member of COG.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Son of Pappy

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 10:23:20 AM »
So, just why did I join COG?  The member book.  I typically am not a rally kinda guy, but I do like helping others.  I have all my info in the directory as well as the desire to put some up if needed.  I have most things needed to put a bike back on the road and a desire to help those in need.  It doesnt hurt to know that if I'm somewhere in BFE I can look up a member who is willing to do the same. 
The squabelling should be over and I sure wish some who left would return, I miss 'em.  Come on Rev, come home!

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 10:50:32 PM »
  Being an old guy I am not up on computer abbrevations. BFE. Never been to that little town in Egypt
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Bob

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 03:00:47 AM »
 There really isn't a split. Just a club that kind of spawned two forums. One this one that is run by a  guy (Rick) who has done a lot for the club over the years and now enjoys running his (this) forum and the Concours. And there is also the other forum which is run by the club COG itself on the COG website. Both forums are free to use. Both forums have great people and a lot of the members (like myself) frequent both forums.  So there really isn't a split. Just a couple of great resource forums for people who enjoy the Concours and motorcycles in general.
 COG "the club" is about so much more than just forum's. It is about people and mainly a certain model motorcycle (the Concours). But a lot of people find the people, events and club itself so enjoyable to themselves, that they remain active members in COG, even though they don't own a Concours any more. Come to an event and meet some people. Hopefully you'll see what I mean. I suggest going to a rally. Most people who attend a rally, find they have a great time. It's about the people who enjoy motorcycling!

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 08:43:54 AM »
There really isn't a split. Just a club that kind of spawned two forums. One this one that is run by a  guy (Rick) who has done a lot for the club over the years and now enjoys running his (this) forum and the Concours. And there is also the other forum which is run by the club COG itself on the COG website. Both forums are free to use. Both forums have great people and a lot of the members (like myself) frequent both forums.  So there really isn't a split. Just a couple of great resource forums for people who enjoy the Concours and motorcycles in general.
 COG "the club" is about so much more than just forum's. It is about people and mainly a certain model motorcycle (the Concours). But a lot of people find the people, events and club itself so enjoyable to themselves, that they remain active members in COG, even though they don't own a Concours any more. Come to an event and meet some people. Hopefully you'll see what I mean. I suggest going to a rally. Most people who attend a rally, find they have a great time. It's about the people who enjoy motorcycling!

Nice post Bob.  :thumbs:
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 12:46:07 PM »
:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: Nicely said.  Heck after reading it I thought about joining again :grouphug:
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."