Author Topic: First (and probably last) Valve Adjustment  (Read 13994 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: First (and probably last) Valve Adjustment
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2019, 03:48:41 PM »
the measurements the Op got don't surprise me for not having done them til 48k, the numbers he let them go out the door at do surprise me, why set them outside of the spec range and then you are already in there, why not spend another couple hours to change them again to get them actually correct?

My mechanic friend was intentionally targeting the loose side, knowing they would tighten again over time.  They weren't meant/planned to be out of spec, just be on the furthest acceptable on the loose side (instead of center), but a few intakes went slightly over.  Not ideal, but he believes it should be fine.  Theoretically, it should last longer in-spec.  Remember, we had to wait several days to get the shims.  We talked about waiting another entire week just to get 2 more that were ever so slightly better, but I was also concerned it wouldn't get finished.  The buckets were nearly all identical, so we had nothing else to swap around.

I have yet to find one that hasn't needed atleast 8 of them adjusted, and some of these guys bring them in routinely every 15-20k, some are first timers bringing them @ 20k, 30k or even the most recent was 37k before he finally decided to get them done

Yeah, I am beginning to think maybe some of those posts about people "needing no adjustment" were shady dealers ripping customers off (charging for a clearance check and not actually doing anything).  But who knows.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline CDII

« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2019, 06:18:07 PM »
Congrats Max!
I've got two to maintain. It may be on my list for 2020.

Offline strum

« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2019, 09:00:40 AM »
Quote from: maxtog link=topic=24313.msg303635#msg303635 date=1575672521

Yeah, I am beginning to think [i
maybe[/i] some of those posts about people "needing no adjustment" were shady dealers ripping customers off (charging for a clearance check and not actually doing anything).  But who knows.

I completely agree Max NO WAY will all the valves be in spec. Im at 17k and I sometimes let my rpms get over 5 grand  :o :o
  I bet if i pulled it apart its ready for some shim shim.

Offline Andy

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2021, 10:15:30 PM »
I just completed my valves today and thought I’d share my results. My Connie is a 2009 with 25,242 miles on it and this is its first valve check. I started 10/05/21 (took two weeks off from work to get this done). All valves I found to be on the tight side except for I believe 4 and only two were completely out of spec on the tight side. While I waited for 8 replacement shims I needed I changed out the brake fluid, replaced the rotors and pads and flushed the old radiator coolant out and put in fresh coolant. Also changed out the fuel filter. Once I got the bike (minus fairing) back together I completed a throttle body sync. Some vacation, I’m spent!  :P . I will take the bike for a ride this weekend and let you all know how it goes. I have to hand it to Fred H.’s videos, they really made the process a whole lot easier to understand and manageable. It is not really difficult per-se but is extremely tedious and requires attention to detail because there is ample room to screw things up and make mistakes. I got through it though by taking my time, rewatching the videos at each step and triple checking everything I did. I am not looking forward to doing this again, but will since now after taking this precision machine apart I have a much better understanding as to why it is necessary in order to maintain this bike. PITA for sure! Glad I’m done, glad I did it so I know it got done and now have an even greater appreciation for this machine. Thanks all for sharing your experiences with this bike and this service thus influencing me to make time to get it done.  ;D
God made some cops perfect, the rest he put in cars!
2009 ZG1400, Shoodaben MRP, V&H CS1, MCE bars, SE handlebars, CalSci X screen.

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2021, 07:49:18 AM »
CONGRATS! Sounds like a miserable job. Mine is a 2011 with 16k on the clock. I'm going to wait another year or two before considering it. Either way... Nice job! Let us know how she runs!

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2023, 01:56:20 PM »
I just completed a couple members from Wisconsin bikes... (brothers)
a 2011 with 41,000 miles
and a 2012 with 35,500 miles

the findings......
2011........ intakes from a tight .004" to .005" and exhausts from .006" to a snug .009"

2012.... intakes ranged from .004" to .005" just like the other but the exhausts.... .005" to only .007"

adjusted all 16 shooting for .0085" on the exhausts and .006" on the intakes

and just like that I ended up ordering another batch of 20 each of oem kawasaki shims in 2.20, 2.225 and 2.25, now I will be good for a few more c14's again........

you simply should not wait so long to get them adjusted!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2023, 10:28:16 PM »
All the pics were lost on the thread due to the reload of the forum.
Here are a few I do know were there.

Pic of torn apart left and right, and the TimeSert insert to repair from the broken engine mount
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc