Author Topic: stuck idler knob  (Read 1645 times)

Offline mellow yellow

stuck idler knob
« on: March 17, 2019, 03:02:19 PM »
Hello all, haven't posted in awhile. Just took my bike out of winter hibernation. (I normally keep it under a tarp on my lawn during the winter months). noticed that it is only idling at 1000 rpm's. when I attempted to adjust the idle, the knob won't budge. try turning it both ways was afraid of breaking it, so now I'm posting to get some help. Thanks

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: stuck idler knob
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 04:43:38 PM »
tough spot to get at, and see with tank on..
 but in the middle of the carb "bank" the adjuster screws into/thru a "boss", and has a spring on it ...needs a little "sprits" of lube there.. and should work/turn then...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 06:41:26 PM »
was afraid of that. have to wait until the temps. are a little more warmer before I can do any work on the bike. Thanks

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 09:02:35 AM »
well had the tank off a few days ago, and spritz the hell out of all the stuff that had anything that I could see that had a spring, cable, or lever, or anything else that I thought needing spritzing. the idler knob is still stuck. took the bike to work last night and the bike died on me a few times, both while moving and coming to a stop. couldn't maintain the rpm's. the rpm's would drop to zero whenever I pulled the clutch in. me thinks there might be something else going on. will have to yank the carbs and spark plugs off and taker a close look. I did have a leaking petcock this winter. might have to invest in a more modern steed if my findings are dire.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 01:24:23 PM »
what is your idle at neutral? does it idle at 1000-1200?

what year and how many miles? maybe time for a carb overhaul. if that's the issue may still be cheaper than buying a new bike.

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 09:03:12 PM »
it fluctuates at 1000 and a little below. it's an 05 and has 110,000+. Drained the tank earlier. Thanks

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 09:54:18 AM »
you should be able to run fine at those idle rpms. the manuf calls for approx 1000rpm. No more. so your idle rpm is fine and should be left at that.

You likely have a carb issue. time for a carb teardown. has anyone done any carb cleaning in 110K miles? if not it is high time. you may have a blocked passage from winter storage. did you treat fuel before storage?

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 11:40:51 AM »
I usually put fuel stabilizer in the tank before I stop riding it. haven't done any tear down. But I might have to because the Idler knob won't turn. just gotta wait for the weather to clear.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 07:57:33 PM »
I wonder if you have stopped up pilot jets/passages and the idle adjustment was screwed in all the way and stuck.
I think I recall that the ideal idle is 1050-1100.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 09:04:35 AM »
I wonder if you have stopped up pilot jets/passages and the idle adjustment was screwed in all the way and stuck.
I think I recall that the ideal idle is 1050-1100.

Ride safe, Ted
I remember last riding season, had to adjust the idler screw, there was plenty of free play both ways. Just when I took the bike out this season, was the idler screw stuck.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 10:16:02 AM »
Ok, must be corrosion on the threads then.
You'll get it soon.

Ride safe, Ted