Author Topic: Why does the little cover over the front brake area keep braking ?it  (Read 2443 times)

Offline katata1100

I have replaced three times. It breaks around where the screw area is. On the fourth one, I put a thin
rubber washer on both sides of it, used thread locker and made a point to not over tighten. It broke again, after three weeks.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Why does the little cover over the front brake area

You might need to be more specific...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
 :popcorn:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Me too..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline katata1100

At the grip area, in front of front brake lever pivot, is a little plastic cover secured by one screw.It sort of creeps over the on/off shut off switch.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline bowtie39

That protects the grip heater wiring.  You must have had that grip off lately and done something to put it in a bind when the throttle is opened. 
'16 Moondust Gray....gone  2001....the keeper

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Ohhh, we don't have that on Gen 1's.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Ohhh, we don't have that on the superior Gen 1's.
fify

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Ohhh, we don't have that on the older, lesser-features Gen 1's.
fify

Fixed it for you better :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Why does the little cover over the front brake area keep braking ?it
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 06:56:54 AM »
Twits.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 09:12:34 AM »
It sort of creeps over the on/off shut off switch.

Well now that we know roughly what you're talking about (sorta kinda) what do you mean by "creeps over" is yours moving? I've looked mine over and it has the one screw you mentioned in the front and then there is a lip that is at the rear (relative to the bike, not the rider's view when riding) that fits over a screw on top. I can only guess that it's not seating properly and is getting stressed either from improper mounting or fatigue from vibration also from something gone wrong. Perhaps you could show us photos from the side that we could compare to ours?
---------------------------------------------------------- thus ends the on topic portion of this post.
Ohhh, we don't have that on Gen 1's.

What's this "we" stuff.  You don't ride yours anymore.

Twits.
Black pots 'n' kettles me thinks.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 09:15:34 AM »
I took that cover off about a week ago to lube the throttle cable. Put it back on, and haven't had any trouble with it.

I remember having a little bit of trouble lining up the screw with the hole - but got it done with the aid of a flashlight. Are you sure the threads aren't stripped?
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 09:33:30 AM »
What's this "we" stuff.  You don't ride yours anymore.
 Black pots 'n' kettles me thinks.

True, but I am a wealth of knowledge and sarcasm concerning said machine. ;)   Well, maybe not knowledge but the sarcasm is there, don't you know?

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 09:40:55 AM »

but the sarcasm is there
In spades.  ;) ;)
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 01:43:20 PM »
katata1100, as far as I know your the first to have problems with that cover breaking.
Sounds like something is not aligned properly.
Where is it breaking?
Knowing that should help you figure out what is in a bind.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 04:07:56 PM by connie_rider »

Offline zarticus

• Arena
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black