Author Topic: MCE Gen. 1 Canyon Cage Group Buy Through July 19th!  (Read 103440 times)

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
Re: MCE Gen. 1 Canyon Cage Group Buy Through July 19th!
« Reply #180 on: August 08, 2012, 11:34:33 AM »
Fedex seems to have lost mine.  :( They are currently in the process of tracking the package down.  It seems they delivered it to the wrong house. >:( Hopefully they find and deliver it (to me this time) soon.  :-\ Ok end of my whining :'(
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #181 on: August 08, 2012, 12:03:35 PM »
Ryan, it would be helpful to have the torque specs while installing the new hardware.  I read the manual and found some said 17 and others 44.  Hopefully this can be added.  Thanks, great looking product.

I believe the 10mms are 44ft.lbs. and the 8mms are 38ft.lbs. Those were the values given to me by Kawasaki.

Fedex seems to have lost mine.  :( They are currently in the process of tracking the package down.  It seems they delivered it to the wrong house. >:( Hopefully they find and deliver it (to me this time) soon.  :-\ Ok end of my whining :'(

That's a real bummer. I hope they find your guards soon so you can get them installed!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #182 on: August 08, 2012, 04:20:32 PM »
The upper forward bolt looks like item 5 (titled subframe bolt) on page 8-2 in the service manual under engine removal.  If that is the case it is a M8 bolt prescribed to be 17 ft/lb which is a huge difference.   When loosening the upper bolt it required FAR less effort, my picture shows what was required to remove the M10 bolt.  The lower bolt is titled item 3, M10 bolt, front engine mounting bolt, and requires 44ft/lbs.   The rear sleeve bolt is item 1, Engine mounting nuts, M12, 44 ft/lbs.  If this is correct I over I torqued the uppers to 38 yesterday and hopefully that is fine.  Anyone else with a service manual?

I think this states the same:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=8239.msg99781#msg99781

Additional info:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3700.15

Offline Conrad

« Reply #183 on: August 09, 2012, 04:43:33 AM »
The upper forward bolt looks like item 5 (titled subframe bolt) on page 8-2 in the service manual under engine removal.  If that is the case it is a M8 bolt prescribed to be 17 ft/lb which is a huge difference.   When loosening the upper bolt it required FAR less effort, my picture shows what was required to remove the M10 bolt.  The lower bolt is titled item 3, M10 bolt, front engine mounting bolt, and requires 44ft/lbs.   The rear sleeve bolt is item 1, Engine mounting nuts, M12, 44 ft/lbs.  If this is correct I over I torqued the uppers to 38 yesterday and hopefully that is fine.  Anyone else with a service manual?

I think this states the same:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=8239.msg99781#msg99781

Additional info:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3700.15

Got it, thanks Alpha. 44 for the biguns and 17 for the liluns.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #184 on: August 11, 2012, 06:33:19 AM »
I did my Canyon Cage install yesterday and it went off without a hitch, mostly. Words to the wise, remember to plug your turn signals back in before you reinstall the plastic, on BOTH sides.  :o

The step nut on mine looks the same as the others. This isn't to say that there isn't plenty of threads making contact with the threaded bolt, there is since this is a step nut and most of the threads are inside of the CC mounting tab. I think that I might look for a black plastic cap to fit inside of that thing.

[smg id=360]

[smg id=362]

[smg id=361]

[smg id=359]

[smg id=358]

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #185 on: August 11, 2012, 07:01:49 AM »
Damn that bike looks fast!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #186 on: August 11, 2012, 07:18:36 AM »
Damn that bike looks fast!

I'm tellin you Gary! But, well, you know how it is.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #187 on: August 11, 2012, 08:11:33 AM »
Thanks for the update Conrad, that is a little more comforting.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #188 on: August 11, 2012, 08:57:33 AM »
In looking at how the front and rear bars look together on the bike...

I wish that the rear bars could have been bent, or swept back, a bit to follow the lines of the bike a little better. Maybe just enough to still allow the bags to be opened. I think that it would have been a big improvement. 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #189 on: August 11, 2012, 09:01:55 AM »
....but would the bags still open?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #190 on: August 11, 2012, 11:07:29 AM »
Yeah, and if they swept up as well as back, and then swept forward and down again, they could be used as a saddlebag retention system.

I received mine (the front set) this week and they are an outstanding product in my opinion. Well made, excellent actually, and very well finished as well. Also an excellent value as there is a fair amount of labor and fabrication in making these.

Brian

I wish that the rear bars could have been bent, or swept back, a bit to follow the lines of the bike a little better. Maybe just enough to still allow the bags to be opened. I think that it would have been a big improvement.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #191 on: August 11, 2012, 11:19:18 AM »
Note to self and others while the plastic is off:

Change coolant BEFORE adding bars.  Manageable taking off reservoir with bars but easier w/o them on
Replace clutch fluid BEFORE adding bars and plastic
Tighten header bolts too

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 01:08:09 PM by 556ALPHA »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #192 on: August 11, 2012, 12:18:18 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on that....I have to do coolant this year and the header bolts should be checked as well.   :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #193 on: August 11, 2012, 08:18:37 PM »
My bars are installed. Everything went smoothly except for wasting time to get distilled water and thread locker from store. I did not have time to test drive yet. Pics posted in

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=9353.new#new

2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #194 on: August 11, 2012, 09:56:55 PM »

That would most likely interfear even more with the passenger pegs though C...  :-\

Offline Conrad

« Reply #195 on: August 12, 2012, 06:15:00 AM »

That would most likely interfear even more with the passenger pegs though C...  :-\

Not with the rear bars swept back of bent towards the back of the bike a tad J.

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #196 on: August 13, 2012, 06:19:27 AM »
Mine finally arrived and they are now installed. Hope to take & post some pics later this week. Conrad I would just like to know which bolts you used when you removed the air deflectors from you bike. I would like to try this & see how it affects the hot airflow from the engine.
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #197 on: August 13, 2012, 07:26:46 AM »
Inside the deflector itself should be an extra bolt which is used to replace the longer bolt if I recall correctly. 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #198 on: August 13, 2012, 09:26:28 AM »
Mine finally arrived and they are now installed. Hope to take & post some pics later this week. Conrad I would just like to know which bolts you used when you removed the air deflectors from you bike. I would like to try this & see how it affects the hot airflow from the engine.

Inside the deflector itself should be an extra bolt which is used to replace the longer bolt if I recall correctly.

Some of the early '08s had the 'extra' bolt stuck inside the deflector, mine did not.

Alexx,

I picked up some stainless bolts to use with the deflectors off, I don't remember the details of the size. I never use the deflectors anymore. I like it better with them off.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #199 on: August 13, 2012, 10:03:32 AM »
Guess Kawa got cheap on us..