Author Topic: Does everyone drop it on the left side?  (Read 17192 times)

Offline S.Ga.Rider

Does everyone drop it on the left side?
« on: May 12, 2011, 12:02:23 PM »
When I bought my 14 almost a year ago it  had a scraped left mirror where someone had tipped it over in a parking lot or something. I bought it thinking I could find a good used one on ebay for cheap and now a year later I still havent found a mirror.lol Apparently everyone who drops the bike does so on the left side. I have only seen a few left  ones and they were scratched up but I always see right mirrors in perfect shape. Of course after a year it doesnt bother me as much as it did when new but maybe one day one will show up on ebay.

Offline MrPepsi

Re: Does everyone drop it on the left side?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 12:06:12 PM »
Its the most common side because people forget the kickstand, or don't get the kickstand all the way down.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 12:10:31 PM »
Generally yes, most motorcycle drops are on the left side. That is the side we normally put down (sidestand) and the side almost everyone mounts / dismounts from so we are used to leaning the bike that way. Leaning a motorcycle to the right feels very unnatural. Of course dropping it on the left is unnatural too but that is the side they normally go down on.

Brian

When I bought my 14 almost a year ago it  had a scraped left mirror where someone had tipped it over in a parking lot or something. I bought it thinking I could find a good used one on ebay for cheap and now a year later I still havent found a mirror.lol Apparently everyone who drops the bike does so on the left side. I have only seen a few left  ones and they were scratched up but I always see right mirrors in perfect shape. Of course after a year it doesnt bother me as much as it did when new but maybe one day one will show up on ebay.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 12:29:30 PM »
Generally yes, most motorcycle drops are on the left side. That is the side we normally put down (sidestand) and the side almost everyone mounts / dismounts from so we are used to leaning the bike that way. Leaning a motorcycle to the right feels very unnatural. Of course dropping it on the left is unnatural too but that is the side they normally go down on.

Brian

Don't be so hasty with that left side only story.  I've got a right center and lower fairing panel that has evidence to the contrary.  Had it fall away from me while taking it off the center stand while standing on the left side of the bike when it was TWO WEEKS OLD.  I never put in for my CDA number. 
2010 C14 ABS

Offline scjaws

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 12:32:30 PM »
Not quite.  I've had 2 C14s over the past 4 years.  Dropped the 08 in the garage once on the right side.  Dropped the10 twice on the right side. See CDA for the story on the 10.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 12:39:16 PM »
So I assume thaf if you buy a 2012 model you will drop it four times on the right side? I see a trend developing here....

;D

Brian

Not quite.  I've had 2 C14s over the past 4 years.  Dropped the 08 in the garage once on the right side.  Dropped the10 twice on the right side. See CDA for the story on the 10.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 12:41:20 PM »
Hence that keyword 'generally' at the start of my post. Some bikes go over on the right side, some go over <over> the front wheel and occasionally they go over the rear wheel all in an effort to get to the ground (most stable position).

The bike is just seeking out a naturally stable position and given enough time, it will always get there. Any drunk will tell you, you cannot fall down from the floor, only when standing up or sitting on something.

Brian

Don't be so hasty with that left side only story.  I've got a right center and lower fairing panel that has evidence to the contrary.  Had it fall away from me while taking it off the center stand while standing on the left side of the bike when it was TWO WEEKS OLD.  I never put in for my CDA number.

Offline bob14

• go forth and meet the shadowy future without fear
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 01:39:07 PM »
I think if you live in Cali probably the left side
if you live in ...say Texas probably the right side
2008 C14
COG 8211
AMA 848986
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 01:46:51 PM »

Did you forget?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ManWorkingH3r3

• Blue is the Fastest Color. :-)
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 02:35:02 PM »
The night I bought my first bike, a 1981 Honda GL500, I drove it all the way from Green Bay to Greenfield(a.k.a. Milwaukee) as my first long ride ever.

When I arrived at my house, I stopped on the driveway, dismounted to the left, and promptly had it fall away from me onto its right footpeg and mirror.  Ouch!  I thought I could put down the kickstand after I got off it.  Never applied for a Honda CDA/HDA# though.

Locked up the front wheel at slow speed two weeks later at a gas station. Lost it to the right side.

Stopped in dark at city stoplight.  Put feet down but Right foot went into pothole. Lost it to the right side.

Learned how not to stop on that Honda.  My C-10 has been doing well so far staying off the right (or left) side.

M

modified thanks to Bob !  HDA/CDA? Whatever it takes!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 09:14:00 AM by ManWorkingH3r3 »
2001 ZG1000-a14  - a.k.a. Blue Streak  COG#9292

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 03:05:05 PM »
Hence that keyword 'generally' at the start of my post. Some bikes go over on the right side, some go over <over> the front wheel and occasionally they go over the rear wheel all in an effort to get to the ground (most stable position).

The bike is just seeking out a naturally stable position and given enough time, it will always get there. Any drunk will tell you, you cannot fall down from the floor, only when standing up or sitting on something.

Brian

Brian is newby... :rotflmao:
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 03:58:56 PM »
I dropped the bike myself when I was backing out of my parking area. My foot slipped in the wet grass and down we both went. Luckily the left mirror was already messed up but I layed it down in the soft grass so I didnt cause anymore damage. I havent dropped a bike since I got my first gs500 when I was 18. I was used to sportbikes and not the weight of the c14.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 04:45:37 PM »
Yep.  My bike fell on me in the garage.  It fell to the left probably due to the side stand not being down.  I blame the bike for this as I certainly couldn't have been at fault.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 05:42:12 PM »
Mine fell on the left as it was sitting in the driveway. The bike was in neutral and it started to roll and the kickstand doesn't have a whole lot of forward lean to it, so it folded under the bike.  That was the second time ever riding this new-to-me 2009.

I have since added a ProjecktD Bigfoot which helps with that situation, but I still put the bike in first now on any slant.

http://projektd.com/product_info.php?products_id=158
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Bob

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 05:45:54 PM »
Yep.  My bike fell on me in the garage.  It fell to the left probably due to the side stand not being down.  I blame the bike for this as I certainly couldn't have been at fault.

Mine rolled off the side stand also. But it was my stupidity for not leaving it in gear like normal!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 05:59:46 PM »
Says the guy with one post.  ;D

Brian

Brian is newby... :rotflmao:

Offline booger

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 06:42:33 PM »
Nope.  Dropped mine on the right side trying to get it off the center stand.  Still trying to figure out exactly what the heck I did :-\

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 08:22:28 PM »
Has anyone dropped it on the rear side?  :o
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 09:14:58 PM »
Has anyone dropped it on the rear side?  :o

8)   ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 04:58:10 AM »

Ditto that. I moved my bike when my grandsons were over so they could get in and out of the garage without touching my bike. Somehow the side stand got bumped and wasn't fully down. I set poor Connie on the stand and let her go. The next thing I know she's falling and I'm trying to stop her, without success.

I blame my grandsons.   lol
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn