Author Topic: Best Oil & Tires???  (Read 25420 times)

Excavator

Re: Best Oil & Tires???
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 10:03:19 PM »
I use Castrol 10-40 for now and a Wix filter. after one more change with Castrol I will go to Mobil 4T at about 4000 miles.

PR2s or PR3s will go on the bike when the stockers are gone (the sooner the better).

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 10:05:58 PM »
Sorry Poke, but Fred has a point with the low viscosity as it affects the right-angle drive gears and the trans gears.  T6 starts with a viscosity at the low range of a 40 weight and it shears to a 30 weight very quickly in the C14.  I've seen oil analyses that show RTS T6 very close to a 20 weight after 3000 miles in a C14.

Now I don't know about you, but I don't want those gears in the right-angle drive to the drive shaft running in a 20 weight oil.  These are basically the same kind of gears that are in the rear drive unit and they run in 75w-90 gear lube. 

So, I'm gonna have to agree with Harmon on this one.  There are better oils for the C14 engine than RTS T6 5w-40 such as Rotella 15w-40.  If you change it every 3000 miles, I don't think there would be any major problems with T6, but I wouldn't use it for extended oil change intervals.

Sure is an awful lot of bikes on the road that are gonna be having problems........wait.... none have had any problems that I have heard of! ;) 
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline metzgerf16

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 02:13:33 AM »
Using Castrol 10w-40, for now, with a Wix filter.  Currently waiting on FedEx to deliver my PR2's.  My father has a 2009 C14 also, and he just put Pirelli Angels on it.  He's very pleased with them so far.
"You serious, Clark?"
'09 Red Concours- Sargent seat, Area-P exhaust, BMC filter, PC-V, flies out, PR2's, Murph's risers
'06 Ninja zx10r- Dear tiny baby Jesus, it's fast!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 02:41:15 AM »
Bunch of newbies talking about oil.  >:(

We're all newbies on this bus....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Bob

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 02:43:00 AM »
We're all newbies on this bus....

Well we heard it before. Comment's how you should only be allowed so many posts on the forum. Well they got there wish!  :D

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 05:45:08 AM »
I have used mobil 1 4t the last 2 oil changes but broke down and changed it with amsoil yesterday. I ordered off their website for me and one of my friends so we could split the shipping and the prefered customer charge so it was cheaper than buying it at a dealership. I havent drove it yet so cant comment. I also changed the shaft oil with m1 75w90.

As far as tires I am running a shinko 009 rear now and its looking like I am not going to get many miles out of it. I have 3k miles on it and its almost on the wear bars. I am thinking of trying the avon storm 2s since they have a $50 rebate going on a set right now.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 06:11:25 AM »
Bunch of newbies talking about oil.  >:(

You're new around here, aren't ya?

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 06:14:11 AM »
I have used mobil 1 4t the last 2 oil changes but broke down and changed it with amsoil yesterday. I ordered off their website for me and one of my friends so we could split the shipping and the prefered customer charge so it was cheaper than buying it at a dealership. I havent drove it yet so cant comment. I also changed the shaft oil with m1 75w90.

As far as tires I am running a shinko 009 rear now and its looking like I am not going to get many miles out of it. I have 3k miles on it and its almost on the wear bars. I am thinking of trying the avon storm 2s since they have a $50 rebate going on a set right now.

A friend in the tire biz who should know says that Shinko is actually made by Yokohama, which is one of the big tire companies. Surprised they're wearing so fast. When it's time for me, Michelin. Still rollin' on OEM.

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 07:21:06 AM »
T6 has served me well.

I have to give a plug for Pirelli Angels ST...AWESOME. I have 8k on the front and it has more tread left than the Brickstones at 4k (when I took it off). The rear I changed 2000 miles later and at 6k it's also showing at least twice the tread as the stock with the same mileage. The stock front tire was a horrid POS, the rear was better. But changing the frt tire for the Angels made this bike handle like a dream.  I sent Kawasaki a terse letter chastising them for putting such a POS tire set on the C14...

I know I'll get 10k+ out of the front and at least a safe 8k+ out of the rear. For as well as these work from the twisties to the superslab, I'm very satisfied and am gonna pop on another set of these. Michelin makes good tires but for my money and the performance I've seen, Angels are a better buy, IMO.

That is unless the PR3's have a 20,000 mile warranty  ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 07:23:03 AM by turbohawk »

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 10:58:46 AM »

Sure is an awful lot of bikes on the road that are gonna be having problems........wait.... none have had any problems that I have heard of! ;)

Poke - I'm not saying that your C14 will blowup if you use RTS T6, but when it gets very high mileage, there could be issues with increased wear.  I think T6 is excellent oil in most circumstances.  I like to use it in my SV650 -- but it is chain drive and doesn't have the right-angle output gears to deal with.  I (and Fred) just think these gears just increase the stress on the C14 oil beyond what a light 40wt oil can handle.  In a cruiser, this would be an excellent choice of oil, I'm just not convinced it is the OPTIMUM oil for the C14.

Just my opinion -- it is an oil thread after all........
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline sf bay rider

• Humble student of the ZG1400
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 11:22:12 AM »
I have 7K on my ST Angels and they're looking great. Just starting to square off a bit on the crown. I'm still very impressed with both dry and wet handling.  Amsoil 10W40MCF is my oil of choice. I own five bikes. Zero lubrication or operational issues!
Jack

2014 Red ZG1400CEFL

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 02:41:33 PM »
round tires and slick oil  :)
T.S.R.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 04:43:36 PM »
Tee:

Oil - Motul 300V 4T 10W-40 next oil change (10K) and Mobil 1 75W-90 GL5 for the final drive.

Tires - Michelin Pilot Road 2, except that depending on the outcome of further reports, I might opt for a PR3.

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 09:44:39 PM »
Yes running rotella oil will make your engine blow up in about 2 miles. Trust me, the more you pay for oil, the better it is! You get what you pay for! It absolutely must say motorcycle on the label! Ha Ha.

Actually, you never get what you pay for. That is a joke. And I make labels that say "Motorcycle Use Only" in my basement, and sell them for $5 apiece to guys in New Jersey. But for you guys, this forum only, I will sell them to you for $4.75
2008 C-14

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 09:47:39 PM »
I have 7K on my ST Angels and they're looking great. Just starting to square off a bit on the crown. I'm still very impressed with both dry and wet handling.  Amsoil 10W40MCF is my oil of choice. I own five bikes. Zero lubrication or operational issues!
Five bikes? Did I read that right? Do you keep them inside a garage? If you have no operational issues, they must be some special models, care to share? How many miles a year do you ride?
2008 C-14

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2011, 04:42:40 PM »
I don't trust any oil enough to keep in my motorcycle engines for more than 5k miles, and this is a severe circumstance for me (like doing a transcontinental, again). I usually change the oil by the visual method, if it looks "dirty", it gets drained. Sure, I probably change the oil WAY too often than needs be but I also have never worried in the slightest of any kind of oil-related wear issues that weren't designed (or designed OUT-OF) a particular powerplant.  As expensive good motor oil is now say to 1990, it's still much cheaper than a new motor or a new bike than to change the oil often.

YMMV.

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2011, 09:32:29 PM »
i am about to do my second service on my 11 and i think i may try the rotella.

Offline Viking

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2011, 05:40:44 AM »
Metzler Roadtec's have been on my bike for about 2000 km's.
I'm very happy with them, and they are wearing very nicely.

For oil, I use Kawasaki Synthetic with the Kawasaki filter.
It's not that expensive, and it allows me to use my limited brain cells for other things.

Offline RusL

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2011, 07:39:46 AM »
Rotella T6 - prolly PR2s, when the stock tyres are done in.

Question: Does the leftover, unused oil from the gallon container turn back into a plastic dinosaur after a time or can I save it for a couple years and use it for another oil change?

I'm in for a dozen of the "Motorcycle Use Only" labels, please.  :D

Russell
Pork is a verb.

2002 ZG100, 2008 ZG1400

Offline Kd4pop

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2011, 08:57:12 AM »
I didn't know the C14 was a diesel? why are you putting Shell rotela in it is for diesel trucks? Shell Rotella® T6
Full Synthetic
SAE 5W-40 CJ-4
Shell Rotella® T6 can help improve the fuel efficiency of your vehicle. Developed in close cooperation with leading engine and vehicle makers, it not only offers possible fuel-economy benefits*, but also the durability and performance demands of the latest low-emission diesel pickups.