Author Topic: TPS help....yet again  (Read 13595 times)

Offline BAMA

TPS help....yet again
« on: May 19, 2011, 09:32:31 AM »
OK...my turn to get the low TPS battery front warning.   :P  Battery must be shot, 'cuz its staying on now all the time despite very warm weather (used to just come on when cold, then go away).

Can you clear the constant warning from the LED display to get the other functions visible again?  What's the steps.  I didn't see in the manual the way to clear this with a button sequence??  Eventually, I'll have to go fight it out with the dealer to try for a warranty replacement.  Thanks

I know we've covered this, but with the forum server crash, many of the threads for a search are toast.

Offline Conrad

Re: TPS help....yet again
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 09:38:34 AM »
Press and hold the top button in, then press and release the bottom button, then release the top button. The error will clear and the red LED will lite.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline BAMA

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 11:42:59 AM »
thanks...will try that sequence.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 12:16:45 PM »
You should be able to cycle through the screens now.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline TPXX

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 12:30:39 PM »
Slight hijack! I remember a thread from the forum before the change over, that dealt with changing the batteries in the tps. Does anyone have the scoop on this?

Offline bob14

• go forth and meet the shadowy future without fear
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 12:39:54 PM »
tHAT RESET DON'T WORK IN THE DARK ,ON THE HIGHWAY ,WITH HEAVY GLOVES ON :-X
2008 C14
COG 8211
AMA 848986
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 12:52:51 PM »

I can do it with my eyes closed.......not while moving of course "nah I still could". ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 01:04:32 PM »

Or with the CAPS lock on.     ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 01:10:38 PM »
Slight hijack! I remember a thread from the forum before the change over, that dealt with changing the batteries in the tps. Does anyone have the scoop on this?

Murph was going to be offering this service, check his website. http://www.murphskits.com

If you're wanting to do this yourself, here's some info, http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tiresensor

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
  • The C14 is vastly overrated.
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 03:15:56 PM »
buy a goldwing? :)
Please use this forum to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated.

Offline bob14

• go forth and meet the shadowy future without fear
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 09:48:23 AM »
Or with the CAPS lock on.     ;D
must have been the heavy gloves I wear when I tyPE
2008 C14
COG 8211
AMA 848986
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 10:05:40 AM »
Fred Harmon has the pictoral...Who had the step by step battery replacement info?

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 02:31:47 PM »

It sure doesn't, especially not while wearing winter gloves!

Offline pjl52

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 04:02:02 PM »
Press and hold the top button in, then press and release the bottom button, then release the top button. The error will clear and the red LED will lite.
Added a battery charge lead (Ctek) to my battery yesterday now my TPS does not display, will the above method reset my TPS?

Thanks
Peter

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 11:47:59 PM »
Added a battery charge lead (Ctek) to my battery yesterday now my TPS does not display, will the above method reset my TPS?

Thanks
Peter
No it will not. But once your wheels are turning at somwhere around 12 mph or so the tps will come back on.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline pjl52

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 12:13:40 AM »
No it will not. But once your wheels are turning at somwhere around 12 mph or so the tps will come back on.

Thanks for that, it now works.

Peter

Offline TPXX

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 10:44:45 AM »
Murph was going to be offering this service, check his website. http://www.murphskits.com

If you're wanting to do this yourself, here's some info, http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tiresensor

Good pics but some comments with them would be nice. Was there a write up?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 10:47:38 AM »

There was at one time before the big crash.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 11:33:22 AM »

I remember most of it as I was planning to change mine. To access the battery, the two halves of the TPS come apart, there is a single screw hidden underneath the stick-on label. Then there are two plastic clasps that can be caerefully opened with a tiny flat blade screwdriver.

A heat sink is suggested to protect the electronics during the de-soldering/soldering operation. A desoldering braid or vacuum will help also. The tabs on the replacement battery are not properly aligned and must be bent to match up with the leads on the circuit board.

I actually took my TPS apart last tire change but decided not to replace the battery at this time as my TPS seems to have healed itself and is working fine. Two weeks ago I was in Arkansas and riding in 43 F degree temperature for three days and never got a low bat warning.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline TPXX

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 11:44:21 AM »
I think I'm going to do this at the next tire change. The front will be first. Where did the batteries with the tabs come from? Its really sad we lost all of this stuff. Seems like nothing on the interwebs is ever truly lost or can be really erased once it is there. Do we have any guru's who would know if this is true? Google scans and caches everything it seems.